Cardinals to Attend Kaepernick Workout

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
If you are a paying fan (aka the customer), YOU get to decide what aspect of the spectacle you assign importance to.

The national anthem, flyovers, etc are part of the tradition and tapestry of the game...

My personal opinion, Kaepernick is a garbage human... HEAR me out before you make any judgments about my last statement...

He is absolutely justified to observe and speak out on a social issue, it is his right as an American -- absolutely! *More on this in a second*

But...BUT, here is a biracial man, who was given up by his birth mother, adopted by a white family who raised and unconditionally supported him... He has a UNIQUE background, a background that gives him a perspective and the ability to have a foot in multiple communities. To speak for many, bring folks together.

He is a star athlete, living in the most progressive city in the world, millions of social media followers (*coming back to this in a sec*), has a supportive family and teammates, he has the bona fides to bring people together, but does he?

HELL NO

And that is really what it comes down to for me, it is a binary lens I view public people through, are you about uniting or dividing people <FULL STOP>

I am active duty, I have been in the Navy for 28 years, I have been in every war or conflict during that time frame, I have watched my friends come back in boxes with that flag draped over it... The calculated disrespect might not mean anything to you and I get YMMV for these sorta things, but it means something to me.

It would be one thing if we lived in a country where you cannot express your views and opinions... If minorities did not have access to the same platforms that the majority does, then I could see the argument.

Now to the heart of my issue with this turd burglar, as I mentioned, despite a HUGE social media following, multiple platforms to voice concerns with specificity, he decides to do something nebulous that he knows will be distasteful to many people. Just like wearing the stupid Fidel shirt, the kunta kinte shirt, the pig cop socks, refusal to participate in voting (he took a knee in the 2016 election), he does this to piss people off.

He is a divider, he contributes to the polarization of this country, and he is a turd burglar.

Sorry about the rant, but as the 25th of this month rolls around, I will get to make a phone call that I make every year at this time to console my friend's sister on the anniversary of his death as I have for the last nine years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you are a paying fan (aka the customer), YOU get to decide what aspect of the spectacle you assign importance to.

The national anthem, flyovers, etc are part of the tradition and tapestry of the game...

My personal opinion, Kaepernick is a garbage human... HEAR me out before you make any judgments about my last statement...

He is absolutely justified to observe and speak out on a social issue, it is his right as an American -- absolutely! *More on this in a second*

But...BUT, here is a biracial man, who was given up by his birth mother, adopted by a white family who raised and unconditionally supported him... He has a UNIQUE background, a background that gives him a perspective and the ability to have a foot in multiple communities. To speak for many, bring folks together.

He is a star athlete, living in the most progressive city in the world, millions of social media followers (*coming back to this in a sec*), has a supportive family and teammates, he has the bona fides to bring people together, but does he?

HELL NO

And that is really what it comes down to for me, it is a binary lens I view public people through, are you about uniting or dividing people <FULL STOP>

I am active duty, I have been in the Navy for 28 years, I have been in every war or conflict during that time frame, I have watched my friends come back in boxes with that flag draped over it... The calculated disrespect might not mean anything to you and I get YMMV for these sorta things, but it means something to me.

It would be one thing if we lived in a country where you cannot express your views and opinions... If minorities did not have access to the same platforms that the majority does, then I could see the argument.

Now to the heart of my issue with this turd burglar, as I mentioned, despite a HUGE social media following, multiple platforms to voice concerns with specificity, he decides to do something nebulous that he knows will be distasteful to many people. Just like wearing the stupid Fidel shirt, the kunta kinte shirt, the pig cop socks, refusal to participate in voting (he took a knee in the 2016 election), he does this to piss people off.

He is a divider, he contributes to the polarization of this country, and he is a turd burglar.

Sorry about the rant, but as the 25th of this month rolls around, I will get to make a phone call that I make every year at this time to console my friend's sister on the anniversary of his death as I have for the last nine years.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service, first off. I come from a family that is heavily ingrained in service across multiple branches, and I cannot respect the sacrifices and courage of our servicemen and women enough.

All I can ask, is how is he supposed to bring people "together?" There is an injustice he and many others perceive, vs. others who don't see it. I'm open to suggestions, but is a rich biracial man supposed to just say "get over it folks" to those in a class/culture struggle?

Trust me, I don't have the answers. I'm as down the middle of this as you can get, and I think Kaepernick has done a poor job of expressing himself, especially with failing to vote. He's barely good enough to be on an NFL team, at that.

Tim Tebow has been railroaded for similar issues.

But Kaepernick would not have that social media platform to express himself if it weren't for his time in professional sports, which is where he had to jump off. He's not the only one contributing to the polarization of the country, but it's also important to take a step back and see that where you see it as abhorrent, others see it as heroic, and bridging that gap is becoming difficult and scary.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service, first off. I come from a family that is heavily ingrained in service across multiple branches, and I cannot respect the sacrifices and courage of our servicemen and women enough.

All I can ask, is how is he supposed to bring people "together?" There is an injustice he and many others perceive, vs. others who don't see it. I'm open to suggestions, but is a rich biracial man supposed to just say "get over it folks" to those in a class/culture struggle?

Trust me, I don't have the answers. I'm as down the middle of this as you can get, and I think Kaepernick has done a poor job of expressing himself, especially with failing to vote. He's barely good enough to be on an NFL team, at that.

But Kaepernick would not have that social media platform to express himself if it weren't for his time in professional sports, which is where he had to jump off. He's not the only one contributing to the polarization of the country, but it's also important to take a step back and see that where you see it as abhorrent, others see it as heroic, and bridging that gap is becoming difficult and scary.

Appreciate the kind words Solar and for your support of your family as they serve.

When Nelson Mandela was elected in 94 he made reconciliation a huge part of his strategy.

Besides engraining some white Afrikaners within his ANC government, he specifically used sports as a vehicle for national pride across racial boundaries to assist with forgiveness and reconciliation. This is well documented with the national SA rugby football club, the Springboks made famous by the film Invictus. No one would have EVER believed that just 5 years removed from imprisonment for treason, that 65,000 white Afrikaners would chant, "Nelson" as he walked out onto the pitch in the 95 world cup wearing a Springbok jumper.

That is what is possible.

That is what someone interested in uniting people does.

As far as a platform, Kaepernick has "earned" through his stardom, he had millions of followers prior to his displays. He had a voice and people would have absolutely listened without disrespecting what some people hold sacred.

Why not be specific on social media, challenge law enforcement agencies to engage with him, go on ride alongs with them, share the legitimate dangers of their profession with the community as a fair broker. BRIDGE GAPS.

And as a rich biracial man, he doesn't need to tell folks to get over it, he needs to: a. use his unique story to show what is possible, b. highlight common ground and the multitude of good that is out there daily breaking down barriers (despite what the news would have you believe), c. by establishing the 2 previous points, he can absolutely take people to task who abuse authority and absolutely should as a man of ALL people.

That is the root of my utter disgust with him. The disguise of "I just want to play football but THEY won't let me" is ridiculous. The amount of good for our country that he has the potential to do is limitless...but instead, he insists on an us/them conversation... Goes back to my binary lens of are uniting or dividing people? He is purposely dividing people and is repugnant to me.

Anyway, I have been on my soapbox for too long, it is way past my bedtime, I doubt anyone is on the fence on this subject and anything I say will sway their opinion.

I appreciate the civil forum and discourse here on ASFN, I wish all a goodnight.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As long as it’s not here I hope he gets a job and another shot at starting. I wouldn’t mind watching the circus from afar.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Solar7, a great and well thought out post brother.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Appreciate the kind words Solar and for your support of your family as they serve.

When Nelson Mandela was elected in 94 he made reconciliation a huge part of his strategy.

Besides engraining some white Afrikaners within his ANC government, he specifically used sports as a vehicle for national pride across racial boundaries to assist with forgiveness and reconciliation. This is well documented with the national SA rugby football club, the Springboks made famous by the film Invictus. No one would have EVER believed that just 5 years removed from imprisonment for treason, that 65,000 white Afrikaners would chant, "Nelson" as he walked out onto the pitch in the 95 world cup wearing a Springbok jumper.

As far as a platform, Kaepernick has "earned" through his stardom, he had millions of followers prior to his displays. He had a voice and people would have absolutely listened without disrespecting what some people hold sacred.

Why not be specific on social media, challenge law enforcement agencies to engage with him, go on ride alongs with them, share the legitimate dangers of their profession with the community as a fair broker. BRIDGE GAPS.

And as a rich biracial man, he doesn't need to tell folks to get over it, he needs to: a. use his unique story to show what is possible, b. highlight common ground and the multitude of good that is out there daily breaking down barriers (despite what the news would have you believe), c. by establishing the 2 previous points, he can absolutely take people to task who abuse authority and absolutely should as a man of ALL people.

That is the root of my utter disgust with him. The disguise of "I just want to play football but THEY won't let me" is ridiculous. The amount of good for our country that he has the potential to do is limitless...but instead, he insists on an us/them conversation... Goes back to my binary lens of are uniting or dividing people? He is purposely dividing people and is repugnant to me.

Anyway, I have been on my soapbox for too long, it is way past my bedtime, I doubt anyone is on the fence on this subject and anything I say will sway their opinion.

I appreciate the civil forum and discourse here on ASFN, I wish all a goodnight.

Thank you Kraken. Appreciate your view on this issue brother.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now that is an awesome post

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Why should Kaep give away all of his rights no other player has to in order to prove he wants to play football?

The NFL actually provided zero choice at all. This 100% on the league, they tried to be underhanded and got exposed. The rest is irrelevant subterfuge.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While your post is well articulated and well thought out, if only it were so simple. Black people tend to think of their own life as 'sacred.' Peaceful protesting is what one of the main pillars of democracy that veterans fight to protect, not people's feelings.

It isn't on Kaepernick, or black America to go on ride alongs, share the dangers of the profession, etc. It is on police to stop shooting unarmed black men with no repercussion. To deal with the decades, upon decades of racial bias and even racism. Police NEED to be held to a better standard, and punished HARDER than a regular citizen for breaking the law. Instead, they are shielded by their own department, or DA.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
While your post is well articulated and well thought out, if only it were so simple. Black people tend to think of their own life as 'sacred.' Peaceful protesting is what one of the main pillars of democracy that veterans fight to protect, not people's feelings.

It isn't on Kaepernick, or black America to go on ride alongs, share the dangers of the profession, etc. It is on police to stop shooting unarmed black men with no repercussion. To deal with the decades, upon decades of racial bias and even racism. Police NEED to be held to a better standard, and punished HARDER than a regular citizen for breaking the law. Instead, they are shielded by their own department, or DA.
Please do not conflate my disgust for Kaepernick with his rights to peacefully protest as an American... which he has every right to.

For the record, people in uniform (not veterans) protect your rights so the GOVERNMENT does not haul your butt away when you speak against them.

We do NOT protect a football player from the corporate NFL who has oversight of an employee.

He is an employee of the NFL, he is contractually obligated to meet their terms of employment.

I totally disagree with your myopic view, maybe it's not on Kaepernick to go on ride alongs and because turds like him who ARE in a position to make lasting, real change DO NOT and divide instead of unite people. Predictably nothing changes... and the sides drift further apart.

Whether you like them or not, the police are necessary. There are good and bad people everywhere, in every job. The police have a difficult and dangerous job, I respect that... and this is coming from someone who was hassled and "tuned up" a few times in high school... they aren't going away...

Football (and sports in general) has the ability to unite people across all normal boundaries. Regardless of your race, creed, religion, gender, or lifestyle preference, your fanship unites you with your polar opposites. That is why I despise mixing politics and sports, sadly politics has overtaken sports with blind allegiance and fanatical worship. And when mixed with sports divides fan bases.

Sorry for the rant Dream, I have no idea what your background is... NONE what so ever and all you know is I am some old navy guy... but look, we are having a dialogue that would not exist if we weren't both suffering Cardinals fans. That is the beauty of sports... That is what Kaepernick fails to see...

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simply because much of the outrage had to do with his race. That's facts cardsfanmd. There were a lot of people that DID understand the reason why he protested, but the lowlifes who were already scum of the earth put forth a ton of faux outrage, and made it a point to aim for the low hanging fruit. Again, I will pose the question to you and any one else. What exactly makes him a p.o.s? I'm not infringing on anyone's' right to dislike him, but there have been some downright ugly things said and done as a result of all of this, and I just don't get it.
How could you possibly lead off with telling me it’s factual that peoples’ rage was based upon his mixed race lol? I can’t speak for anyone else but my issues were his blatant lies that he tried to pass off as truth, his disrespect for law enforcement, disrespect for our country and it’s service men and women and really just his overall bad combination of ignorance and stupidity. He’s either intellectually deficient or morally dishonest. Either way, it makes it tough to root for the guy when he projects himself as the opposite, even though I will gladly admit that I respected the hell out of his abilities when Harbaugh was in SF and Kaep was good.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

HELL NO

This post, no matter how articulate it is, is guise in racism.

Simply put, Kaepernick, no matter his racial background and upbringing, had every right to use his platform, to protest against police brutality and systematic white supremacy, something you have failed to omit that was the root cause of his protest. He is not a divider, that was the President who called the players "sons of *******" and neo-nazis as "very fine people" but of course you wouldn't take any issue of that. His job was NOT to bring people together he saw it as an opportunity to bring light to the police brutality that has affected mostly towards the black community, the community he identifies with the most due to him joining a Black fraternity, and his philanthropy among other things.

And please dont use your service as a shield to your hatred of this man, many active serviceman AND veterans which includes me, supported Kaepernick during his protests, so by saying he was protesting and disrespecting the flag is a deflection to the real issue at hand. And if you see something wrong with wearing a Kunta Kinte shirt, then there is something wrong with YOU. And he had every right NOT to vote in any election, I dont know why you would feel offended as why he didn't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

so, I'm just going to ask a question here: who did you vote for in the 2016 election? I ask because I want to know how consistent this lens is.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This discussion is so old.

Kap is out of football, because he:

Sucks.. and declined massively every year after the Super Bowl.
The combo of being perceived as anti American, and SUCKING is a bridge too fricking far.
Why is that so hard for people to grasp?
An owners job is to put butts in the seat..Not chase them away.

Lamar Jackson could kneel during the anthem with a "EFF the Military AND Police" T-shirt on, and still have 31 teams who would fall over themselves to sign him the second he was a FA.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
so, I'm just going to ask a question here: who did you vote for in the 2016 election? I ask because I want to know how consistent this lens is.
I wrote in a candidate, General Jim Mattis ... Both President Trump and Senator Clinton were highly distasteful.

For the record, I am socially libertarian, fiscally conservative, with the exception to the military - we need to be way ahead in size and capability to deter aggression (I know it sounds self-serving)...

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
This post, no matter how articulate it is, is guise in racism.

Simply put, Kaepernick, no matter his racial background and upbringing, had every right to use his platform, to protest against police brutality and systematic white supremacy, something you have failed to omit that was the root cause of his protest. He is not a divider, that was the President who called the players "sons of *******" and neo-nazis as "very fine people" but of course you wouldn't take any issue of that. His job was NOT to bring people together he saw it as an opportunity to bring light to the police brutality that has affected mostly towards the black community, the community he identifies with the most due to him joining a Black fraternity, and his philanthropy among other things.

And please dont use your service as a shield to your hatred of this man, many active serviceman AND veterans which includes me, supported Kaepernick during his protests, so by saying he was protesting and disrespecting the flag is a deflection to the real issue at hand. And if you see something wrong with wearing a Kunta Kinte shirt, then there is something wrong with YOU. And he had every right NOT to vote in any election, I dont know why you would feel offended as why he didn't.
1. Thank you for your service. As I am sure you can attest to, we are not a homogenized group and I have no doubt, there are plenty of servicemen and women who feel the way you do. BTW, I am not the spokesman for the active-duty fans, so I do not speak on behalf of those who serve or have served... I speak on behalf of this active-duty naval officer.

2. LOL... Thanks for assuming my ethnicity... um, VA CARD, I am biracial. So, maybe slow down on the well-articulated racism angle...

3. The shirt, just like the socks, is a calculated ploy to piss people off.

3.5. He has every right to use his platform to protest, ABSOLUTELY. He also earns any criticism for the manner that he chooses to express himself.

4. He divided fans. You and I are fans and we are divided on this issue, at the height of the kneeling and the push back, stadiums saw a decrease in attendance and some fans were so pissed off they burnt their team gear on youtube to demonstrate their displeasure.

*HE IS A DIVIDER.*

5. You are right, he can sit any election out and honestly, the 2016 election was between two bad candidates, but he also sat out important issues on the ballot that was local in nature... I guess the community wasn't THAT important...

6. The "taking a knee" protest is nebulous and serves to just piss people off, no one before this turd did this would ever see someone taking a knee and exclaim, "oh that must be a commentary on police brutality" because anyone would clearly see that protesting the flag and anthem that represent our federal republic would be a demonstration against police forces at the local level... because the 8 year reign of President Obama led administration had set up systematic discrimination policies at the local level.

HE IS A TURD, instead of bringing folks together, he has polarized both sides.

But hey, if he is your hero, throw on his jersey and represent your dude. That is your opinion, I respect it while disagreeing with it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please do not conflate my disgust for Kaepernick with his rights to peacefully protest as an American... which he has every right to.

For the record, people in uniform (not veterans) protect your rights so the GOVERNMENT does not haul your butt away when you speak against them.

We do NOT protect a football player from the corporate NFL who has oversight of an employee.

He is an employee of the NFL, he is contractually obligated to meet their terms of employment.

I totally disagree with your myopic view, maybe it's not on Kaepernick to go on ride alongs and because turds like him who ARE in a position to make lasting, real change DO NOT and divide instead of unite people. Predictably nothing changes... and the sides drift further apart.

Whether you like them or not, the police are necessary. There are good and bad people everywhere, in every job. The police have a difficult and dangerous job, I respect that... and this is coming from someone who was hassled and "tuned up" a few times in high school... they aren't going away...

Football (and sports in general) has the ability to unite people across all normal boundaries. Regardless of your race, creed, religion, gender, or lifestyle preference, your fanship unites you with your polar opposites. That is why I despise mixing politics and sports, sadly politics has overtaken sports with blind allegiance and fanatical worship. And when mixed with sports divides fan bases.

Sorry for the rant Dream, I have no idea what your background is... NONE what so ever and all you know is I am some old navy guy... but look, we are having a dialogue that would not exist if we weren't both suffering Cardinals fans. That is the beauty of sports... That is what Kaepernick fails to see...

My myopic view? My myopic view stated facts about unarmed black men being killed and treated through racist-colored glasses isn't my view. They are facts.

You clearly know nothing about me, or my background like you say later.

We will just end this here because our options are to keep talking P&R here on this board, close the post, move it, or get back to actually talking about Kaepernick. I'd prefer not to do the first three.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Sucks.. and declined massively every year after the Super Bowl
He didn't, though. He remained middle of the pack towards the end of his career. Imagine if a so-so player like say, Derek Carr or Jimmy G were out of a job next year, and instead of teams signing them, they went for trash players like Jameis Winston or Mason Rudolph. That's what we're dealing with. Players like Brian Hoyer and Josh Johnson have started games in the past 2 years but Kaep can't even make a preseason roster.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant believe you guys are even interested in talking about this guy still.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wrote in a candidate, General Jim Mattis ... Both President Trump and Senator Clinton were highly distasteful.

For the record, I am socially libertarian, fiscally conservative, with the exception to the military - we need to be way ahead in size and capability to deter aggression (I know it sounds self-serving)...

It's a shame that during his appointment the admin did not want to follow his strategies. He definately would not have been a part of the kurdish nightmare that happened for a second there.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
It's a shame that during his appointment the admin did not want to follow his strategies. He definately would not have been a part of the kurdish nightmare that happened for a second there.
I had the privledge of being in a support roll with an adjacent unit for then MGen Mattis, his fanatical worship is well-earned. As SECDEF, he did a terrific job putting adults (not political appointees) back in charge of the military. I didn't agree with all of his policies within the DoD, but he got us back on track and I hope he serves in some capacity again.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
My myopic view? My myopic view stated facts about unarmed black men being killed and treated through racist-colored glasses isn't my view. They are facts.

You clearly know nothing about me, or my background like you say later.

We will just end this here because our options are to keep talking P&R here on this board, close the post, move it, or get back to actually talking about Kaepernick. I'd prefer not to do the first three.
Agreed. FWIW, myopic was a poor choice of a word and fully retract it and apologize.

As a football player:

Kaepernick was a marginal starter at the end of his stint with the 49ers, despite what would seem a perfect fit in Chip Kelly's zone read option based offense (similar to the pistol that he ran @ Nevada) he could not secure the job as a starter and when he did start, looked pedestrian at best.

Possesses a strong arm but struggles throwing into a tight windows as well as placing the ball in with touch. He is 32 and while he was an explosive runner, he is on the downside of his physical prime and based on his QB toolbox, would be an ineffective, pure pocket passer.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
For completeness:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson