What moves on D will move the needle the most?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a player that can change drastically the level of the defense, a disruptive player, but we also need to make every right moves in the free agency

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delpit has been horrible this year & his tackling has just been downright atrocious.

I watched a bit saturday, blew a tackle gave up a TD. The announcers were saying he's had an ankle issue much of the year and they don't think he's healthy yet. But yeah he was terrible, in that game alone he allowed a TD and a catch and run after by falling down trying to make a tackle.

If it is health maybe he slides to the 2nd round and you get a major steal, but he didn't look good on Sat.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched a bit saturday, blew a tackle gave up a TD. The announcers were saying he's had an ankle issue much of the year and they don't think he's healthy yet. But yeah he was terrible, in that game alone he allowed a TD and a catch and run after by falling down trying to make a tackle.

If it is health maybe he slides to the 2nd round and you get a major steal, but he didn't look good on Sat.
The thing about that even before the “ankle injury”, he has refused to wrap up as a tackler ever since the start of the season. He keeps going for the knees & misses badly. He might be protecting his stock, but man, it’s kind of hard for me to believe that when you’re on the best team in the nation & not some struggling team like Derwin was on his last year on FSU.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing about that even before the “ankle injury”, he has refused to wrap up as a tackler ever since the start of the season. He keeps going for the knees & misses badly. He might be protecting his stock, but man, it’s kind of hard for me to believe that when you’re on the best team in the nation & not some struggling team like Derwin was on his last year on FSU.

LSU defensive backs and tackling....

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Drafting a safety, let alone a massively overrated one, when he’s not even top 20 BPA & being at the very bottom list of needs, is the absolute worst thing you can do.
I am curious about your thoughts on Isaiah Simmons in general...not so much for the Cardinals as I still believe he is a luxury item we can't really afford to take.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am curious about your thoughts on Isaiah Simmons in general...not so much for the Cardinals as I still believe he is a luxury item we can't really afford to take.
He’s good, good instincts & can matchup with most TEs & some RBs, but I’m REALLLLLY not a fan of drafting a ILB in the top 8.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If there was a Roquan Smith in this draft...... maybe.

But Javon Kinlaw is all of it. And coming from the Carolinas..... Keim & Adub would slobber his Miller Light on to the table if he is available when we are on the clock.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
We 'need' the second coming of Luke Kuechly. Not sure that is available in this draft. I like Jordan Hicks. He needs a running mate.

Priority 1A is a right tackle who can secure the position for the next 10 years and be adequate at left tackle if necessary (see Lane Johnson).

A stud defensive lineman who can both stop the run and rush the passer is 1B.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He’s good, good instincts & can matchup with most TEs & some RBs, but I’m REALLLLLY not a fan of drafting a ILB in the top 8.
I also cringe at the idea regardless of the player. That being said, 6'4 240 that can run down Russell Wilson, cover George Kittle down the field, and athletic enough to drop deep enough to disrupt the Rams deep crossing patterns...the division matchup advantage is worth considering.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think a good MLB to replace Reddick is our biggest need. We need better corners, and an OLB on the opposite side of Jones.

I actually don't think the D-line is that big of a need. They are doing a good enough job stuffing the run, and I don't expect a pass rush from them in a 3-4.
Elite D's do get inside pressure from 3+ pressure schemes. It could come from stunts with the OLB, ie..Chandler an inside LB, S blitz or just the front 3 with additional outside pressure. We NEED that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They have to respect your ends in a 3-4. They always had to double CC same with Smith in SF. That frees up your LB

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I also cringe at the idea regardless of the player. That being said, 6'4 240 that can run down Russell Wilson, cover George Kittle down the field, and athletic enough to drop deep enough to disrupt the Rams deep crossing patterns...the division matchup advantage is worth considering.

maybe its PTSD from this year, but this is where my head is at

if the Cards win a couple games, they are likely drafting in the 10-12 spot. That tie almost acts like a win in the draft order --

Reaction score
Too many uneducated guesses in here. I'm not the biggest fan of Vance Joseph, but his plan against the 49ers was solid and spot-on. We held Tevin Coleman to 14 yards on 12 carries! Sold out to stop the run, which was the right call as evidenced by a pair Jimmy G's boneheaded picks and the 49ers offense usually flowing through Shanny's zone run game and play action.

The main culprit here is that the talent level of our defense doesn't allow to play the run and the pass more balanced. . .

. . . Ultimately we must pick the best defensive player on the board. We can use help on all levels.
Solid post Veer!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We need a playmaking ILB and DL. Cory Peters is above average but often looks average at best because he is surrounded by 'just guys' as K9 would say (though I think Gunter and Kerr are solid pros with some hope for Allen) and Corey Peters is getting up there in age... but we need a dynamic guy in the trenches while our current safeties I feel will get better with experience as they are getting now

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
1. a DL that can provide up the middle push
2. a WILB that can cover

plus:
3. Experience for the young safeties
4. Healthy Robert Alford
5. Zach Allen is who we hope he is

I think that gets you "below average D, but one you can win with"

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
1. DL - need to spend good money on a pro, also draft one (maybe Derrick Brown in the 1st round or AJ Epenesa)
2. MLB - Add a pro here, don't mind drafting one but need a reliable player in 2020
3. OLB - If by miracle, Chase young is available where we draft, he would be dangerous across from chandler jones. Could also look at vic beasley, he might be affordable due to down seasons.
4. Safety - Grant Delpit would be hard to pass, i think DL and LB are more immediate needs, but when Delpit was fully healthy, he was one of the best players in college at any position. His ankle injury may make him available when we draft.

On a related note, our offense is flat out dangerous when we can run the ball with our RBs. So if a TE can help that out, to go with Maxx Williams, that would help our D with ball control.

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here’s some food for thought.

The Rams might not be able to afford to re-sign Jalen Ramsey.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As bad as our D appears to be, it would seem obvious that we should go D with our 1st pick. But, if we have a top 10 pick, I go the BPA route. If you look at the true playoff teams, they are generally very good to great on one side of the ball. Our offense is already closer to that status. It might make sense to improve the D through free agency, and take best offensive player available with the top 10 pick. With a great offense and an average to above average D, we can compete or beat anyone in the NFL. Don’t pass on an AP type talent to draft a Brown type talent just because we feel we’re desperate for a certain position.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
We 'need' the second coming of Luke Kuechly. Not sure that is available in this draft. I like Jordan Hicks. He needs a running mate.

Priority 1A is a right tackle who can secure the position for the next 10 years and be adequate at left tackle if necessary (see Lane Johnson).

A stud defensive lineman who can both stop the run and rush the passer is 1B.
This.....

The first Pick should be a OT Or an edge rusher.

Retain the OL free agents. Add starter material on the DL. Then add a first rounder

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would trade 2 1st and a 3rd next year to move up and get Chase Young. He’s the best pass rusher to come out in years, then go drop 10-13 a year on someone like CC or Leonard Williams if you can’t land Clowney.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would trade 2 1st and a 3rd next year to move up and get Chase Young. He’s the best pass rusher to come out in years, then go drop 10-13 a year on someone like CC or Leonard Williams if you can’t land Clowney.
This team can't afford to throw away two firsts and a third on one guy, even if he's elite. We have at least 5 positions that don't even have a starter under contract going into the season, more reasonably 6, and the vast majority of this team ranges from very bad to could be improved. We only have 5-6 players under the age of 25 that are even adequate starters up to this point (almost each is debatable too), and two of them are about to be free agents/turn 26.

We desperately need multiple picks that will turn into stars, or at least starters.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team can't afford to throw away two firsts and a third on one guy, even if he's elite. We have at least 5 positions that don't even have a starter under contract going into the season, more reasonably 6, and the vast majority of this team ranges from very bad to could be improved. We only have 5-6 players under the age of 25 that are even adequate starters up to this point (almost each is debatable too), and two of them are about to be free agents/turn 26.

We desperately need multiple picks that will turn into stars, or at least starters.

all I’ve heard on this board is that SK sucks at drafting now it’s we need SK to draft multiple stars?

Chase Young is generational not good but all time great level. The 3 most important things in football. QB, Protect the QB, Pressure the other teams QB.

2 years into a rebuild and you would have a franchise QB, the best pass rushing duo in the NFL and an above average LT( if we resign DJ)

Those are some damn good building blocks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose