Celtics @ Suns Monday game thread 11-18-19

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kaminsky was soft tonight. He should have tried to dunk some shots but got blocked.

Booker and his fouls...same story. We needed him to go the rim or make a shot, passive again for my liking.

Sarics shots were all short.

Tyler didn’t see the floor well at all. His passes never happened or were one or two seconds late.

Baynes was awesome again. Refs blew. We didn’t hustle.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Celtics defense that is. We held them down plenty enough to win if we even had our average offense today.

The Celtics defense was tenacious indeed. Also they hit shots when they needed too.

Suns appeared off all night. Part of it was Rubio but the Suns couldn't match the Celtics aggressive style of play.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Without Rubio they simply doubled and trapped Booker. No one else on this team scares anybody. At least not any good teams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Without Rubio they simply doubled and trapped Booker. No one else on this team scares anybody. At least not any good teams.
I would agree with this. Monty has done an incredible job of coaching this team. But other than book, not a lot of shot creators on this team. It’s why Ayton’s post game will be so important. If we can dump it into the post for stretches where things are going bad we can stem oppositions runs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we thought the point guard position was fixed. It's not looking so good without Ricky Rubio.

I kept wanting to put a G-league point guard out there for a test drive. Ty Jerome can't get well quick enough. He can play point guard and shoot the ball as well but it may take awhile for him to get up to speed when he returns.

Maybe Tyler Johnson should have started the season strictly as a backup point guard so he would be more accustomed to running the team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we thought the point guard position was fixed. It's not looking so good without Ricky Rubio.

i was perplexed that so many people thought we were completely stocked at PG. Carter had a great start but it was unlikely he was going to keep shooting the lights out from 3. TJ really isn't a PG and I still see a lot of you expecting immediate dividends from our rookie PG, which seems odd to me considering he was a late 1st round pick, as a senior, in a pretty mediocre draft.

Rubio is the straw that stirs this drink. Without him, we're in a rough spot in any game until Ayton gets back, and that assumes Ayton is ready to actually step up and be a focal point down-low who can creat plays for others by drawing double-teams.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really feeling Ayton’s absence of late. I love Baynes but we’re getting eaten up inside and really struggling on the glass.

Offensively, the starting unit got in a funk and was never able to generate easy baskets to get out of it. I don’t think anyone on that Celtics lineup could have defended him one on one.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was perplexed that so many people thought we were completely stocked at PG. Carter had a great start but it was unlikely he was going to keep shooting the lights out from 3. TJ really isn't a PG and I still see a lot of you expecting immediate dividends from our rookie PG, which seems odd to me considering he was a late 1st round pick, as a senior, in a pretty mediocre draft.

Rubio is the straw that stirs this drink. Without him, we're in a rough spot in any game until Ayton gets back, and that assumes Ayton is ready to actually step up and be a focal point down-low who can creat plays for others by drawing double-teams.

It looked like the Suns would be fine at point guard with Rubio, Jerome (backup) and a myriad of players to be the third point guard. Also Booker could play that position at times.

I think when the Suns knew Jerome couldn't play, they should have made Tyler the primary backup point guard until Jerome returns and proves he can play there. Tyler may not be a true point guard but he is better than what the Suns have now at this position. He should have played that position from the start.

At this point I wouldn't mind the Suns bring up one of their point guards from the G-League to provide another option and depth.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This makes me MORE eager to see Ty Jerome. We know what we have with the other guys at PG not named Rubio. If this kid lives up to half the hype his teammates give him, we may have our Back Up PG already on the roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Gloves are off. Wonder which players those comments are directed at.

Also I caught Monty's comments about the player development program being so important. He might be referring to Jevon Carter and others that were available for the game but I couldn't help but think he might be talking about the G-League as well.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh was hoping to wake up to a suns win

But missing rubio was huge reseted suns to last yr team lol

How long is rubio out for...

Just hoping suns keep there record several gms over .500 upon ayton return

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh was hoping to wake up to a suns win

But missing rubio was huge reseted suns to last yr team lol

How long is rubio out for...

Just hoping suns keep there record several gms over .500 upon ayton return

We'd have played better but I think we still lose this game even with Rubio. We just haven't been playing with the intensity we saw the first few weeks and Ricky doesn't fix that.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We'd have played better but I think we still lose this game even with Rubio. We just haven't been playing with the intensity we saw the first few weeks and Ricky doesn't fix that.
I kinda wondered at the time if the team could collectively maintain that level of intensity consistently over time. Particularly the guys who weren’t known for that previously.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda wondered at the time if the team could collectively maintain that level of intensity consistently over time. Particularly the guys who weren’t known for that previously.

Yeah, I did too. I also wondered if we were one of those teams that could go all out because we were further along in our conditioning. It's not as bad as it used to be but veteran teams still tend to play themselves into elite shape early in the season but younger teams, teams with a lot of role players and G Leaguers, often come in to the season already in peak condition.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose