Where we are and what's next

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
There has to be a certain point where you stop paying Fitz $11 million per year right? I don't think winning teams continue to pay players over their production value because they are a franchise icon.

Take CeeDee Lamb in the 1st to replace Fitz. Use the cap space on defense.
Larry is the 13th highest paid WR.

Notables below him are: Julio & Davante who are right behind him and about to be way above him.
Notables above him: Diggs, Allen, Evans, Cooper, Landry, Sammy W. & Allen Robinson.

I think many would say that Larry's 11mm is not only money well spent (legend tax) but also right in line with the market.

Plus..... If we are in the playoffs next year (I think we could be)..... There isn't a man alive that wouldn't want that guy over the likes of any other NFL superstar let alone WR.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What is D.J. Humphries worth? According to overthecap, the projected OL Franchise Tag in 2020 is $14.1 million. T

The top OT guarantees are around $34 million (Nate Solder and Taylor Lewan).

I think with a Humphries extension, you're looking at 5 years, $70 million, $30 million guaranteed, and about $14 million per season on average. If he stays healthy for another 5 games, he's really going to have us over a barrel. He probably already does.

We can be pretty picky about which other pending free agents we want to keep. I don't think the comp pick calculation is going to matter much this year.

Fitz'll get his 1-year, $11 million contract again.

I don't think that Keim really has to interview for his job this offseason, but he has to have a plan to:
  • Protect Kyler Murray
  • Supplement Murray's high-end weapons
  • Add defensive front-seven depth
I'm actually pretty confident that Keim can accomplish all three with the resources on hand. OTOH, I think that people thinking that Kenyan Drake is likely to be on this roster next season are BONKERS.
You don't think we will pony up the 6 mil per year to keep Drake?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Get a top 10 pick.
Re-sign Hump or Franchise.

Where it gets dicey:
Pat P?
DJ?
Shipley?
Long term RT?
Fitz re-upping in the midst of a roster turnover?
Butler's place on the team
Andy's development
Keeping our offensive coaching staff together.

There is too much here for me to think Keim can possibly be successful. He just cannot be trusted.

I noticed something about Keim and simply the guy cannot multitask. Meaning he has issues stringing decisions together. There seldom is any continuity between his choices which then sabotages what he might get right

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
You don't think we will pony up the 6 mil per year to keep Drake?

I think we will keep Drake, hence pay him. The Niners have a great defense and Kingsbury tries to justify the opinion by saying he does not have a problem with DJ but Drake had performed well recently against them so he started. Well what the hell, if Drake is your best option against the best, then I think you surely turn him loose on others. I have no idea how the Cardinals are going to accomplish this, but cap space be damned, keeping DJ makes no sense when that spot could be for someone else which can help this roster along

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I have to wonder if PP was using PEDs last year but his masking drug worked better. They’re always improving the testing.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I have to wonder if PP was using PEDs last year but his masking drug worked better. They’re always improving the testing.

Is it just me, but Sherman seems to have slowed down a lot too. I think his physicality makes people more open to him being the same guy, but he never had great speed and it's starting to show in coverage

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is it just me, but Sherman seems to have slowed down a lot too. I think his physicality makes people more open to him being the same guy, but he never had great speed and it's starting to show in coverage

Sherman has always committed a ton of pass interference over his career. Every time I watch him, I see 3 or 4.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CBs have shelf lives.

Which is why successful teams keep developing new ones. When you get more than 4 years out of a CB, Lady Luck is smiling at you.

To be successful, a GM has to assume he won't get lucky & keep working the wires.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I hope not. It would be criminal to dedicate $20 million to our RB room. Bring in a day 2 draft pick and Chase Edmonds to take David Johnson's job.
In rookie QB contract world, does it really matter? I would argue that it is more important to ensure talent is around Kyler than how that talent is financially distributed. The financial issue would only be for one year and would prevent us from having to fill, another, hole on the roster.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In rookie QB contract world, does it really matter? I would argue that it is more important to ensure talent is around Kyler than how that talent is financially distributed. The financial issue would only be for one year and would prevent us from having to fill, another, hole on the roster.

I'd argue yes. I mean, you're still spreading cash around in an inefficient way. You'd prefer to drive that money into the OL and WR, right? The difference between the $6 mil you want to pay Drake and the $1 mil you'd have to pay a 3rd round pick is a solid DE or OL?