Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Winner of the 2019 Pulitzer Prize in Fiction
Shortlisted for the 2018 Man Booker Prize
New York Times Bestseller
A New York Times Notable Book and a Washington Post, Time, Oprah Magazine, Newsweek, Chicago Tribune, Kirkus Reviews, and Amazon Best Book of the Year

Now Available in Paperback

The Overstory, winner of the Pulitzer Prize in Fiction, is a sweeping, impassioned work of activism and resistance that is also a stunning evocation of—and paean to—the natural world. From the roots to the crown and back to the seeds, Richard Powers’s twelfth novel unfolds in concentric rings of interlocking fables that range from antebellum New York to the late twentieth-century Timber Wars of the Pacific Northwest and beyond. There is a world alongside ours—vast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive, and almost invisible to us. This is the story of a handful of people who learn how to see that world and who are drawn up into its unfolding catastrophe.

This is waiting for me at the library. How is it?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
This is waiting for me at the library. How is it?
I also got mine from the library. Then we left to take our car to the Virginia City Hot August Nights car show. I usually read 2 books a week on vacation but have been so busy I have only read 50 pages so far. I like what I have read but it is early. You will probably finish before me.

AZ Native

Reaction score

This was the 24th book in the Jack Reacher series and I have read all of them so obviously I am a fan. Where to start. This was a bloodbath! So unlike the Jack Reacher I like who goes (went?) out of his way to avoid killing, the body count is about 70 in this book. Then a waitress morphs into a military strategist and a two man band become special ops supporters in slaughtering the bad guys. The health insurance plot was totally unrealistic. Her company not renewing health insurance and nobody knew? That is ludicrous...people have prescription’s, Doctors appointments, emergencies..etc. Not to mention the absolutely unbelievable characterization of the mobsters, hurts my head just thinking about the stupidity of it. As good as the early books were, this may be the last one.

And still can't believe they ever cast all 5'7" 170lbs Tom Cruise to play 6'5" 250lbs Jack Reacher. It was more of a stretch than a reach. (BIM agrees with this)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just started this series about assassin John Rain on Audible. The author narrates and does a fantastic job. I'm looking forward to the series.

Half American, half Japanese, expert in both worlds but at home in neither, John Rain is the best killer money can buy. You tell him who. You tell him where. He doesn’t care about why…

But after I finish this book, I'll jump into the newest Orphan X released yesterday on Audible then head back to John Rain.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just started this series about assassin John Rain on Audible. The author narrates and does a fantastic job. I'm looking forward to the series.

But after I finish this book, I'll jump into the newest Orphan X released yesterday on Audible then head back to John Rain.

Love the John Rain books !! Great characters.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I laughed when it came up in my Twitter feed.

Report back if you end up gifting it to someone!

Been a while since I read this thread, lol. Thinking about sending it to my cousin's son and daughter-in-law, who are expecting soon. I know the daughter-in-law (who I'm friends with on facebook, but never met in person) would laugh. My cousin? Not so much, lol.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the John Rain books !! Great characters.

I sent an email to Barry Eisler:

On Feb 14, 2020, at 9:43 AM, JF-08 (not real name) wrote:

Hello Barry,

I just wanted to drop you a line about your John Rain books. I have finished listening to the first book in your series on Audible, A Clean Kill in Tokyo, and am about halfway through the second, A Lonely Resurrection.

I am an avid Audible listener and my favorite genre is the secret operative. I have finished the following series:

Victor the Assassin by Tom Wood
Evan Smoak (Orphan X) by Gregg Hurwitz
Jonathan Quinn by Brett Battles
Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews
Dewey Andreas by Ben Coes
Mitch Rapp by Vince Flynn (RIP) / Kyle Mills
Department Q by Jussi Adler-Olsen
Child 44 series by Tom Rob Smith
John Corey by Nelson DeMille

And I also listened to the first three Will Robie books by David Baldacci. So I have listened to quite a few series with different authors and narrators. I have never reached out to an author before, but I just wanted to let you know how impressed I am with your writing and narrating. John Rain is a common man, but a man who has very special talents. He could be anyone that you could see on the street. He doesn’t get by with brute force, charming good looks, wealth of money, super-hacker friends, or anything like that that other authors rely on. I feel as if I am sitting with a friend, listening to him tell me what has happened in his life. The first person narrative is truly unique and it immediately drew me in. What John Rain is feeling, I feel. What John Rain observes, I observe. Your character building is amazing from this perspective.

When I was searching Audible for a new series to listen to, I saw that you were the narrator and immediately became skeptical. I was thinking “Does Barry have an incredible ego about his writings that he wouldn’t let a professional narrate? Are Barry’s books so cheesy that he couldn’t get a decent narrator?” Nope. You are the perfect narrator for your series. If you ever gave up writing, I think you could be a professional narrator! Lol.

I have never been to Japan or studied Judo, but your scene setting and explanations about little idiosyncrasies are just enough, not too much nor too little. So again, I just want to let you know how much I have enjoyed your first one and a half John Rain books and I look forward to listening to rest of the series.

Regards,
JF-08

He replied back:

JF-08, thanks very much for those kind words, especially about the narration! And I share your skepticism about authors narrating their own work—it’s a completely different skill, and not for everyone. But as a lover of audiobooks and pretty decent mimic, I decided to audition to do one of my own, and so far it’s worked out well, I’m glad to say.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the books at least as much, and thanks again for the feedback.

Best,
Barry

AZ Native

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I was intrigued by the title and illustration. Can you share some more about this book?
OK, it was a best seller for months so I reserved it at the Library. I can best describe it as a chick flic book, or something like that. But I did enjoy the book as I prefer light reading. It appears some of the cities and geographical areas were not correct. I did not know as I have never been in that area. It is either crap or a good read based on your opinion. I liked it as I like strong women, even when they have done wrong by cornholio men.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, it was a best seller for months so I reserved it at the Library. I can best describe it as a chick flic book, or something like that. But I did enjoy the book as I prefer light reading. It appears some of the cities and geographical areas were not correct. I did not know as I have never been in that area. It is either crap or a good read based on your opinion. I liked it as I like strong women, even when they have done wrong by ******* men.

Okay then, lol. Thanks. I don't like it when crap isn't correct, but I guess I'll check it out anyway. :)

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Art of Shen Ku: The First Intergalactic Artform of the Entire Universe

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to Barry Eisler:

He replied back:

That's awesome. My dad met him at a book signing years ago and said he seemed like a great guy. We both have read most of the books he's written. I've never been into audiobooks but might have to give Barry's a listen sometime.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. My dad met him at a book signing years ago and said he seemed like a great guy. We both have read most of the books he's written. I've never been into audiobooks but might have to give Barry's a listen sometime.
He's a great narrator.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1421 The Year China Discovered America x Gavin Menzies

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa