15 thoughts - 49ers game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 –

There is nothing fake,

about Kenyan Drake.

Interesting situation with David Johnson really have to prove himself now. Can he find his previous level of play? If yes, now is the time to show it.

2 – Fitzgerald has his overall best stats career-wise against the Niners. That is something Gandhi likes.

3 – If there was any doubt (probably not), this season D.J. Humphries has played himself into a huge second contract.

4 – Note how Kyler Murray very rarely takes a big hit. That could be highly beneficial in the long run.

5 – They have got to get some more pass rush!

It is not rocket science; no pass rush = you need to send more men on blitzes = you become more vulnerable to bubble screens and other screen plays.

6 – Two games makes no star, but Christian Kirk is stepping further toward the role of a #1 receiver.

7 – If I am big enough to criticize him, then I am also big enough to praise him, and this time A.Q. Shipley played well.

8 – Jordan Hicks has really been a great pickup.

9 – It’s kind of fun that usually the norm is that head coaches has to be very even-keel on the sideline to kind of not affect the players too much with emotions. Kingsbury apparently could not care any less about that. He celebrates when something goes well, and he show he is indignant when things goes wrong. I like his approach better.

10 – Do you move Hasson Reddick to his college position of edge rusher – the position that got him drafted that high - simply to give him one last shot?

11 – I have been on the Jalen Thompson-wagon all season, and I certainly still am. Good in coverage, good tackling, and now a huge play that should have led to a victory.

12 – Just throwing this idea out there: have all receivers wear sunglasses.

(See what I did there?)

13 – Keesean Johnson has cemented himself in the Cards’ history as a preseason stud that can’t do much of anything when it counts. How many of those have they got? At least three or four, right?

14 – I hope the user Veer is okay that I am just going to copy in his text: “[…] I'm not the biggest fan of Vance Joseph, but his plan against the 49ers was solid and spot-on. We held Tevin Coleman to 14 yards on 12 carries! Sold out to stop the run, which was the right call as evidenced by a pair Jimmy G's boneheaded picks and the 49ers offense usually flowing through Shanny's zone run game and play action. The main culprit here is that the talent level of our defense doesn't allow to play the run and the pass more balanced.”

Good luck on ever, in the remaining history of mankind, saying something more correct. Won’t happen.

15 – Justin Pugh might be Keim’s best offensive line acquisition on the open market ever.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
3. Disagree, his injury history, penalized too much (second worst in the league) and his run blocking is inconsistent. He also can’t sell a screen. He may get big money but I wouldn’t pay it. Warning sign - Played better in contract year.
5. Major deficiency
6. & 8. Major agree
10. His “Best if Used by” date has expired.
11. No clue when playing zone.
14. Never make a quick call on a first year receiver.
15. His durability is a major issue but this is his best season

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
3. Disagree, his injury history, penalized too much (second worst in the league) and his run blocking is inconsistent. He also can’t sell a screen. He may get big money but I wouldn’t pay it. Warning sign - Played better in contract year.
5. Major deficiency
6. & 8. Major agree
14. Never make a quick call on a first year receiver.
15. His durability is a major issue but this is his best season

Disagree about Humphries. He's at minimum, a decent starting LT. A decent starting LT is a rarity even. You pay him. You say you wouldnt, but to find someone even half as good is very hard. I know you have probably forgotten more about football than I will ever know, but I think you're 100% wrong here.

He played better because he rarely even makes it this far in a season. Yes that's a red flag, but LT is so important that you will put up with a bit more.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1 –

There is nothing fake,

about Kenyan Drake.

Interesting situation with David Johnson really have to prove himself now. Can he find his previous level of play? If yes, now is the time to show it.

2 – Fitzgerald has his overall best stats career-wise against the Niners. That is something Gandhi likes.

3 – If there was any doubt (probably not), this season D.J. Humphries has played himself into a huge second contract.

4 – Note how Kyler Murray very rarely takes a big hit. That could be highly beneficial in the long run.

It is not rocket science; no pass rush = you need to send more men on blitzes = you become more vulnerable to bubble screens and other screen plays.

6 – Two games makes no star, but Christian Kirk is stepping further toward the role of a #1 receiver.

7 – If I am big enough to criticize him, then I am also big enough to praise him, and this time A.Q. Shipley played well.

9 – It’s kind of fun that usually the norm is that head coaches has to be very even-keel on the sideline to kind of not affect the players too much with emotions. Kingsbury apparently could not care any less about that. He celebrates when something goes well, and he show he is indignant when things goes wrong. I like his approach better.

10 – Do you move Hasson Reddick to his college position of edge rusher – the position that got him drafted that high - simply to give him one last shot?

11 – I have been on the Jalen Thompson-wagon all season, and I certainly still am. Good in coverage, good tackling, and now a huge play that should have led to a victory.

(See what I did there?)

13 – Keesean Johnson has cemented himself in the Cards’ history as a preseason stud that can’t do much of anything when it counts. How many of those have they got? At least three or four, right?

14 – I hope the user Veer is okay that I am just going to copy in his text: “[…] I'm not the biggest fan of Vance Joseph, but his plan against the 49ers was solid and spot-on. We held Tevin Coleman to 14 yards on 12 carries! Sold out to stop the run, which was the right call as evidenced by a pair Jimmy G's boneheaded picks and the 49ers offense usually flowing through Shanny's zone run game and play action. The main culprit here is that the talent level of our defense doesn't allow to play the run and the pass more balanced.”

Good luck on ever, in the remaining history of mankind, saying something more correct. Won’t happen.

15 – Justin Pugh might be Keim’s best offensive line acquisition on the open market ever.
Completely agree on #10. At this point Reddick is a liability and other teams know it and exploit it. Give him one last chance and just rush the QB, can’t do worse than Suggs right now

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Harry, I did not specifically write that the Cards would give him the contract, but I guess I think it would be in their best interest. Humphries is by no mean one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL, but he is solid, and there is no doubt in my mind that you can win with him. Above average offensive tackles are a very, very hard to find. To me, the offensive line needs at least two or three upgrades, but I don’t think Humphries is one of them.

That is a very fair view concerning Reddick.

I disagree on that one.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1 –

There is nothing fake,

about Kenyan Drake.

(See what I did there?)

10- agree
Reddick can't cover a turd & looks lost in the end zone, just watches everyone run by him. He needs to just rush the passer & play DE.

14-disagree
The 49ers stopped running the ball because..............? They didn't have to, our secondary sucks & our DC isn't a very good one. You notice how wide open their WR's were on almost every play? It was like taking candy from a baby going against our secondary & LBers, no need to run so they passed the ball. Hence our rush defense looked good.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watch some team use Reddick as an OLB and see him thrive there.

Reaction score
1 –

There is nothing fake,

about Kenyan Drake.
Great acquisition!

Can't help but wonder how the defense would look with Hicks and Josh Bynes manning the two ILB positions! Reddick has been misused by the Cardinals almost from the get-go.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do I want Humphries back as starting LT? Probably not. (not crazy about the penalties.

Within the range of various options available to us, can we afford to let him go? Probably not.

At each stage of the roster-building process, we need to make the decision that gives us the best bang for our buck. As soon as we let ourself get distracted and go in a different direction, we'll wind up chasing (& biting off a chunk of) our tail.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Humphries needs to be our LT of the future. We can't afford to draft the position again when we need help so many other places. It really is as simple as that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What gives any indication that this would happen? That they would play him at OLB? What other 230 lb pass rushers are in the NFL?

His issues are essentially the same as Deone Bucannon's.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think that might be stretching it, Vacard, but I do think it is worth at least trying it out. Suggs is no All Star-player anymore, and Cassius Marsh has not been fantastic either. Give Reddick a try.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can't help but wonder how the defense would look with Hicks and Josh Bynes manning the two ILB positions! Reddick has been misused by the Cardinals almost from the get-go.

CL, Bynes has been a big contributor in the Ravens’ defensive turnaround during this season, and he is now one of their key players. On the defense of the hottest team in the NFL. I am so happy they let him go to give Reddick more chances.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Vacard makes a point of some team using Reddick as an OLB. Unfortunately, while a VG point, it might mean that he belongs in a 4-3, and we play a 3-4.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Disregard 3 years of evidence and keep a guy around because he MIGHT do well on another team/in another scheme? Yah, thats good football.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Vacard makes a point of some team using Reddick as an OLB. Unfortunately, while a VG point, it might mean that he belongs in a 4-3, and we play a 3-4.

Garth, while you are certainly right in the speculation that Reddick might be best in other teams' defenses, what the system is called does not matter. I encourage you to watch the two videos I will attach where Vance Joseph and Bill Davis explaining it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Humphries needs to be our LT of the future. We can't afford to draft the position again when we need help so many other places. It really is as simple as that.

He plays decent and is liked by the team too. I'd bet a chicken sandwich 7 days a week that we resign him. I bet we do it before week 14 too.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
1 –

There is nothing fake,

about Kenyan Drake.

(See what I did there?)

One, Drake is for real. The argument to not have Drake because of the cap hit with DJ'c contract is like accepting three strikes against you. Keep Johnson and you have the cap hit, a guy you are forcing to play who is not getting it done, and he takes up a roster spot... I'll take the cap hit and keep Drake and Edmonds instead of saying I'm paying to lose on the field while at least I can say I paid to get rid of him so I can win

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He plays decent and is liked by the team too. I'd bet a chicken sandwich 7 days a week that we resign him. I bet we do it before week 14 too.
I disagree with this part. I think we would like to, but I don't believe we have enough cap space to absorb the division of the signing bonus to do so. The only possible way that I can see is if they were able to offset the bonus with the remaining game checks but I'm not sure there are enough games left to do that.

Reaction score
CL, Bynes has been a big contributor in the Ravens’ defensive turnaround during this season, and he is now one of their key players. On the defense of the hottest team in the NFL. I am so happy they let him go to give Reddick more chances.
That IS my point, Gandhi; should have KEPT Bynes AND signed Hicks!

Re: Reddick - I'm not sure there is any salvaging of his career with the Cardinals. It was a poor selection to begin with, but may have bore some fruit had the Cardinals not so greatly mismanaged him, almost from the minute he was with the team.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That IS my point, Gandhi; should have KEPT Bynes AND signed Hicks!

Re: Reddick - I'm not sure there is any salvaging of his career with the Cardinals. It was a poor selection to begin with, but may have bore some fruit had the Cardinals not so greatly mismanaged him, almost from the minute he was with the team.

I know, CL. If I gave another impression it was a mistake. I am sorry about that.

Yes, a combination of Bynes and Hicks would be much less athletic than with Reddick, but I think they would be better on first- and second down, and on third they only use two linebackers because Reddick is that athletic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave