Poll: What to do about the defense

What do you do for 2020

• Total voters

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you:
A) keep vance joseph and give him a chance with more talent to prove he is a competent coordinator
B) go to our 4th DC in 4 years next year

I have no idea what I do. Calling for chandler jones to cover and get burned on a TD when he is one of the top pass rushers in the game just tells me he is a terrible playcaller. I get the premise of sending the house on the other side and having CJ cover but I still think it is dumb. This is just the cherry on the sundae though when it comes to this defense.

So, is it talent? or coaching?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if changing DCs every year is the answer? Somewhere there has to be some continuity.VJ has made some baffling calls but running DCs thru every year is hoping to hit it lucky.IDk the answer.The defense has been let down by PP and his ******* PED issues and seeming decline and Suggs getting caught by father time.Reddick simply failed to be a impact guy ….IDK?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I keep waiting to see something creative to mask the poor roster, even though it isn't sustainable; but I've seen nothing impressive about Vance.

Maybe something changes the last few games, but as of today, I would roll the dice again.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and voted keep just because continuity might be helpful and maybe hes not as bad as he seems.

However, whatever the brass decides I am good with. Especially on board with @Chris_Sanders I would go for whatever Kliff decided.

The biggest issue with firing a DC is getting an entire DC staff afterward but if we do it fast enough and have a candidate ready, so be it.

I guess who is available matters a lot too.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would add talent and let Kingsbury pick if he wants to keep Joseph or get his own guy. Let the head coach actually run his staff
Agreed.

Even if we fire him..... We have to stay in the 3-4

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same people that were wanting to keep Wilkes another year, will also want to keep VJ another year.

You are wrong. I wanted Wilkes gone but I believe keeping Vance is the wise move and maintain continuity of scheme. Meathead hired Vance and he would be the one to hire again...think he can get it right?

Keep Vance and hopefully upgrade defensive talent...Even though Meathead well be stocking the rosters

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more Keim forcing Joseph on Kingsbury irritates me.

With even half competent defense Kingsbury is a coach of the year candidate. Instead people are questioning his record

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more Keim forcing Joseph on Kingsbury irritates me.

With even half competent defense Kingsbury is a coach of the year candidate. Instead people are questioning his record

Did he though? Or did KK say I do not know NFL head coaches, lets find someone. These fake narratives often get paraded as fact.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did he though? Or did KK say I do not know NFL head coaches, lets find someone. These fake narratives often get paraded as fact.

KK said he wanted to only focus on the offense and have someone else run the defense

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KK said he wanted to only focus on the offense and have someone else run the defense

but how does that translate to Keim forced a DC on him? If he came out and said "I don't care, get me someone" then he is not being forced upon him.

VJ was a prior DC with head coaching experience. It made sense.

The results do not look good but the narrative of VJ being forced upon KK is pure conjecture.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he didn't have input on the decision from what I read. Michael and Keim wanted a defensive coach with head coaching experience to mentor Kingsbury.

That sort of relationship doesn't set a clear head coach assistant coach to me.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At Kliff Kingsbury's introductory press conference Tuesday, the Arizona Cardinals said they were looking to match their offensive-minded rookie head coach with an experienced defensive coordinator. They're hiring one with head coaching experience, too.

The Cardinals announced they have hired Vance Joseph to lead their defense. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported the two sides were closing in on a deal Friday morning. The former Denver Broncos head coach had garnered interest from several teams and had just interviewed for the Cleveland Browns' DC vacancy.

Here it is. Kingsbury not involved in the decision. He needs to be the actual head coach going forward.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Objectives -

- Smarter players

- Stronger, faster players

- Stronger-handed players

- Higher level of player talent

- Better scheming and play calling

Strategies -

- Teach existing players

- Bring in new players

- Better strength & conditioning programs

- New defensive coaches

- Or stick with existing coaches and hope they'll learn.

All of the above - except for the existing vs. new coaches thingy.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it is. Kingsbury not involved in the decision. He needs to be the actual head coach going forward.

This still isnt forcing a coach upon him. That's the only part that shouldn't be thrown around.

Yes, they chose a defensive coach for him, because he asked for it. Totally different than having a coach forced upon you.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really disappointed in Suggs so far. Yes he his a situational player now but I really have not seen that RAVEN attitude brought over to the cards. I admit I only see what is on TV during the game and not at practices, locker room and all of that most all of us don’t see. But I haven’t seen him raise hell on the sideline one time this year.

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
It's funny how talent makes coaches so much better. We don't have much talent on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully, that gets addressed next year versus making another DC change.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd fire him. The defense is probably as bad as last year, if not worse.

The talent isnt good, but they could be playing significantly better than they are. Calling a cover zero at that time was inexcusable. Let them kick the damn FG and send it to overtime, but you cant let them score a TD.

Too often Joseph just hasn't seemed to have the right playcall at the right time. Guys are out of position too often.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd fire him. The defense is probably as bad as last year, if not worse.

The talent isnt good, but they could be playing significantly better than they are. Calling a cover zero at that time was inexcusable. Let them kick the damn FG and send it to overtime, but you cant let them score a TD.

Too often Joseph just hasn't seemed to have the right playcall at the right time. Guys are out of position too often.
DCs that primarily run zone needs to be banned. Any above-average QB will abuse it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One nagging question about firing the DC or any other coach:

Do we really know. what's going on behind the scenes?

How are decisions made?

Who makes the decisions?

Is our defense decision making fluid? Or is it establishing a rigid approach and then making players fit into it?

What do successful teams do that we're not doing?

If we were to make a coaching change, would it help the team or hurt it?

I just feel that firing folks doesn't always get you what you want.