Coaching has cost us 3 weeks in a row

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There are a lot of things we would not be putting a microscope on concerning Kliff if we had a defense, because not only would we be winning but probably winning by a lot with our offense having better field position and the opposing defense all exhausted chasing Kyler around for extended series. But we do and Kliff himself has to because this defense cannot hold anything. Every three and out is like taking a step back due to the defense. To me the most defining point was when Joseph was so jubilant when we got that pick late in the game as if we just won the NFC championship because even he does not expect us to stop the opposing offense lol
That is fair

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get the call, it was the execution of the play that failed.
He was getting pressure on blitzing big time. My guess is he was hoping for a turnover. Problem was Chandler Jones can NOT cover anyone and stumbled to the ground....leaving the guy wide open.
The reality is, even if they won, there is NO chance of making the playoffs, so the loss improves draft selection which is ultimately the better long term option at this point.
They need better players all over the field...offense and defense.\
Lastly, they isn't on the Head Coach - he had nothing to do with it....it's all on the DC - Vance Joseph.
Thing is if Budda Baker jumps thats a batted down pass. Better yet...if they sent a taller safety on that blitz its an incompletion. Instead Jimmy just threw right over him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
pathetically predicatble run, run, pass (sack) punt on offense was a culprit as well.

oh... and can I ask why the hell Kyler Murray is throwing a five yard gain... in the middle of the field... with time in the pocket... with 31 seconds left? Come on kid. (and yes, I know KJ fumbled it and deserves blame but that's a scrub WR but there's a time for dump offs and a time to just let it fly.
Ironic - Somehow we get Murray tangled up in a Vance Joesph critique.

BTW - Isn't it possible that very good coaching decisions elevated play to a level where these very same coaches get blasted for not perfectly executing moves that got us to the high level we got to in the first place?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me, it’s quite obvious that KK is coaching not to lose instead of coaching to win. Much of that is a result of our pathetic D. After the bye, I think we’ll see KK rip off the bandaid & go for broke.

He isn't coaching to win period. It doesn't matter that the defense is bad. What matters is if you expect your defense to give up 29 points per game you better be coaching to score 30 or more. He isn't. I hope he will start being more aggressive knowing his defense is terrible.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. That's how you need to coach, or at least have the mindset of as a head coach.. imo. But this is all still hopefully just part of his process as a rookie head coach that he needs to go through and have a comfort level with first..

He is not a rookie head coach

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not a rookie head coach in the NFL?

His mistakes have nothing to do with NFL v college. He makes mistakes that juco head coaches don't make. No reason to give excuses he doesn't deserve.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His mistakes have nothing to do with NFL v college. He makes mistakes that juco head coaches don't make. No reason to give excuses he doesn't deserve.
I'm not excusing his execution at times.. I think he has his good and bad moments and he is constantly learning. I believe there is a steep learning curve at this level compared to college. If you don't think so, go ask the handful of successful college coaches that failed as NFL head coaches.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Decision making will improve, give KK some time. He turned us from laughing stock of the league into a team that's been in every game right until the end. If you ask me that's not bad at all for a rookie HC with a rookie QB. We weren't even competitive last season.

The defense needs major reinforcements. Chandler Jones, Hicks, Budda and PP are still good players. Byron Murphy looks like a steal, he will only improve. Jaylen Thompson looks promising as well. Draft a big-time playmaker in the 1st regardless of defensive position, and go after a proven defensive starter in FA like we did with Hicks. We aren't very far away from a defense that's about average, which we absolutely need to hang in our tough division. But if we had an average defense, we would be in the midst of the NFL Wildcard race without a doubt.

On offense, I don't think we need to change much. KK installing his novel scheme, that even most of the NFL vets haven't seen before, was always meant to take some time. Especially since the scheme is still evolving. Timings, routes and QB decision making will be much better in year 2. Keep developing Murray, who has shown big-time growth and maturity already, and work on the efficiency of the RZ offense. KK has experienced NFL coaches around him that will help him to improve in that crucial area of the field. Of course OL, especially OT, is always a priority to protect our franchise QB. So anytime you get the chance to land a good OT, be it FA or draft, you jump on it. Isabella, Kesean and Butler weren't quite ready for big roles, but in year 2 they could be ready to contribute. I'm pretty confident the offense will be improved in 2020 without changing much.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kliff is very creative. I think he's still learning, the cutesy stuff in the redzone, the time management etc. I don't fault him for the defense I think Keim hired Joseph not Kliff.

I'm impressed I don't think the offense would be this good with Rosen but I think it'd be much better than it was last year I just see several plays a game where entirely on scheme someone is wide open. Last week it was the Maxx Williams drop and a couple of the ones to Kirk and even the one Murray missed in the endzone. Last game the drop by Kirk, the Fitz TD, even the TD called back on penalty those were all plays that on scheme alone were wide open. We never saw that last year.

Then you add in Murray and it gets much better, I loved Bosa, still do, but I'm 100% convinced we made the right call taking Murray.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Kliff is very creative. I think he's still learning, the cutesy stuff in the redzone, the time management etc. I don't fault him for the defense I think Keim hired Joseph not Kliff.

I'm impressed I don't think the offense would be this good with Rosen but I think it'd be much better than it was last year I just see several plays a game where entirely on scheme someone is wide open. Last week it was the Maxx Williams drop and a couple of the ones to Kirk and even the one Murray missed in the endzone. Last game the drop by Kirk, the Fitz TD, even the TD called back on penalty those were all plays that on scheme alone were wide open. We never saw that last year.

Then you add in Murray and it gets much better, I loved Bosa, still do, but I'm 100% convinced we made the right call taking Murray.

With Bosa and no Murray, I'm convinced this is a winless team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave