Kyler Murray

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Some think I dislike KM.That is wrong.As discussed many times I would have preferred going defense first and giving Rosen a real chance with a improved roster and coaching like KM has this year.That said Kyler has really flashed some damn good skills at times.
Really like his keeping interceptions down.
Like his scrambling ability
Like his arm.
Like his potential.
What I do have concerns about-
The running backwards sacks
Knowing to throw it away instead of taking the sack.
The poor Red Zone production..too many FGs ..not enough TDs-I will say that could be KK wanting to be conservative and willing to think 3 points better than risking no points at all.
Still needs a better touch on some of his passes.He was among the league leaders in poor throws.
His durability..he has held up fine so far but you that big hit will eventually come .
Has he lived up to being the #1 pick in the whole draft? IMO not yet but he hasn`t been a flop either.He is a work in progress.Can he be the QBOF for this team? I remain skeptical and want to see more consistent better play before I decide.Thats not a damning of KM that is just wanting to see more before getting on board.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Some think I dislike KM.That is wrong.As discussed many times I would have preferred going defense first and giving Rosen a real chance with a improved roster and coaching like KM has this year.That said Kyler has really flashed some damn good skills at times.
Really like his keeping interceptions down.
Like his scrambling ability
Like his arm.
Like his potential.
What I do have concerns about-
The running backwards sacks
Knowing to throw it away instead of taking the sack.
The poor Red Zone production..too many FGs ..not enough TDs-I will say that could be KK wanting to be conservative and willing to think 3 points better than risking no points at all.
Still needs a better touch on some of his passes.He was among the league leaders in poor throws.
His durability..he has held up fine so far but you that big hit will eventually come .
Has he lived up to being the #1 pick in the whole draft? IMO not yet but he hasn`t been a flop either.He is a work in progress.Can he be the QBOF for this team? I remain skeptical and want to see more consistent better play before I decide.Thats not a damning of KM that is just wanting to see more before getting on board.

OMG! What more could he have done in these first games to justify the pick for you?

Yes, the TD production isn't what I'd like to see — and he probably doesn't run as much as advertised, but he's done everything you could want from a #1 pick in the draft.

My biggest peeve remains that he doesn't seem aggressive enough — especially on third downs. Maybe he's just giving things up during a season that was over before it really began and protecting himself. That can turn into a habit of protecting ones' numbers, which puts your guys at a disadvantage in t he long run.

I think that the biggest Murray Hype Beasts on the board oversold him — the future of football hasn't arrived, and Murray isn't changing the trajectory of football forever.

BUT.

He's having an exceptional rookie season on one of the most talent-poor offensive rosters in memory.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the best thing we have going on besides offensive gameplanning and chandler jones.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the best thing we have going on besides offensive gameplanning and chandler jones.

I doubt he is a league leader in poor throws. Just watching the games, I would assume they are counting when he throws it poorly to kill the play as a poor throw. two of the three TDs last week and the PI call on kirk that hit him in the damn face 50 yards downfield says he is godly accurate.

you cant praise not taking sacks and want the ball thrown away more but then complaint about his bad throws that are on purpose to kill the play at the same time.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buckybird was hyping Murray all along but I want to stay with Rosen and go defense or Oline in the draft. Was not pleased with the pick but now I can see what Murray offers and believe it was the correct pick.

This.

Dude has proven himself and made me all in on the decision. Dude is clearly an elite talent.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This.

Dude has proven himself and made me all in on the decision. Dude is clearly an elite talent.

I really wish we could quit using terms like great and elite for a QB with a losing record after 11 games. Having said that, I am all in on him as well.

And yes I understand defense OL WR all the things wrong with this team. Right or wrong QBs have the record hung on them...good and bad

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really wish we could quit using terms like great and elite for a QB with a losing record after 11 games. Having said that, I am all in on him as well.

And yes I understand defense OL WR all the things wrong with this team. Right or wrong QBs have the record hung on them...good and bad
I'm strictly talking about his arm talent when I mention elite skills.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I doubt he is a league leader in poor throws. Just watching the games, I would assume they are counting when he throws it poorly to kill the play as a poor throw. two of the three TDs last week and the PI call on kirk that hit him in the damn face 50 yards downfield says he is godly accurate.

you cant praise not taking sacks and want the ball thrown away more but then complaint about his bad throws that are on purpose to kill the play at the same time.
He is 14th in bad throw percentage. Jared Goff is actually the worst in that stat. Not bad for a rookie QB.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I have any complaint, it is being too conservative but that is not all on him.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was speaking more in general terms on the overall insane hyperbole by some around here. Your post just made me think about it.

yeah I am not the overboard wagon, I thought we wouldnt even draft the kid. But that pass to kirk that got foiled by DPI was absolute sheer beauty. Right in the face.

OP
OP
B

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
OMG! What more could he have done in these first games to justify the pick for you?

Yes, the TD production isn't what I'd like to see — and he probably doesn't run as much as advertised, but he's done everything you could want from a #1 pick in the draft.

My biggest peeve remains that he doesn't seem aggressive enough — especially on third downs. Maybe he's just giving things up during a season that was over before it really began and protecting himself. That can turn into a habit of protecting ones' numbers, which puts your guys at a disadvantage in t he long run.

I think that the biggest Murray Hype Beasts on the board oversold him — the future of football hasn't arrived, and Murray isn't changing the trajectory of football forever.

BUT.

He's having an exceptional rookie season on one of the most talent-poor offensive rosters in memory.

Some more wins would be nice and consistently good redzone production.IMO last years offense was more talent poor and more so during the last part of the season when Rosen was throwing to UDFA WRs mostly and playing behind a line full of UDFA/waiver cuts/PS guys.IMO this years offensive supporting cast is better than last seasons.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Some more wins would be nice and consistently good redzone production.IMO last years offense was more talent poor and more so during the last part of the season when Rosen was throwing to UDFA WRs mostly and playing behind a line full of UDFA/waiver cuts/PS guys.IMO this years offensive supporting cast is better than last seasons.

Yeah, but I think the red zone production issues are the most complicated things to close out — and I expect it will get better next season when Murry and Kingsbury have to onboard fewer players and can focus on these finer points.

I don't know what to tell you about the winz. The Cards are 3-3-1 in games decided by a TD or less. The blowout losses have been against teams that are a combined 38-12(!!). The real quibble is why we couldn't more strongly put away garbage teams like Cincy.

OP
OP
B

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but I think the red zone production issues are the most complicated things to close out — and I expect it will get better next season when Murry and Kingsbury have to onboard fewer players and can focus on these finer points.

I don't know what to tell you about the winz. The Cards are 3-3-1 in games decided by a TD or less. The blowout losses have been against teams that are a combined 38-12(!!). The real quibble is why we couldn't more strongly put away garbage teams like Cincy.

As i stated...I wonder if KK is being conservative because 3 points is better than no points.Better to have something to show for the drive than nothing.maybe next season it will be more risk taking in the RedZone.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As i stated...I wonder if KK is being conservative because 3 points is better than no points.Better to have something to show for the drive than nothing.maybe next season it will be more risk taking in the RedZone.
The only real knock on Kyler is redzone and taking sacks/not throwing it away. I feel like the latter can be fixed. I think the redzone issue is Kliff's fear of tipped passes in a condensed area.

Kyler should study up on Drew Brees (he gets on his tippy toes to make throws over the middle in tight areas)

Maybe he'll develop Russell's unbelievable feel for when to scramble to find someone open.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will respectfully reserve my expectation level and prediction for his greatness for the 2nd time around the league. NFL has a habit of figuring things out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose