Where we are and what's next

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Almost every one of our wins and losses have come down to the last min of games. We haven't found a way to pit game away and give Murray a last chance to win it. But we are headed in the right direction. Looking at next year we have the 4 hardest positions to fill locked up.

Qb Murray
LT hump
CB peterson, alford and murphy
Pass rusher jones

We just need to build around them.

I dont know what to thank of Vance joseph, mlb has been a weakness and we need another pro next to hicks. Not sure if ita scheme or just lack of talent.

If we can address our deficiencies in the off season and have a side draft, along with a years progression of Murray, I think we can be a payoff team.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Almost every one of our wins and losses have come down to the last min of games. We haven't found a way to pit game away and give Murray a last chance to win it. But we are headed in the right direction. Looking at next year we have the 4 hardest positions to fill locked up.

Qb Murray
LT hump
CB peterson, alford and murphy
Pass rusher jones

We just need to build around them.

I dont know what to thank of Vance joseph, mlb has been a weakness and we need another pro next to hicks. Not sure if ita scheme or just lack of talent.

If we can address our deficiencies in the off season and have a side draft, along with a years progression of Murray, I think we can be a payoff team.

Humphries is a free agent next year, FYI, and most of this board wants to run off Peterson. Alford is a very major maybe.

Not trying to harsh your mellow, just saying.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PP is a shell now unfortunately..imo. He is looking like he is getting back to that heavier weight from years ago when he was diagnosed with diabetes. No bueno

OP
OP
R

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Humphries is a free agent next year, FYI, and most of this board wants to run off Peterson. Alford is a very major maybe.

Not trying to harsh your mellow, just saying.
I'm assuming he is resigned. There are a few anti peterson posters on the board but cooler heads prevail. Hes u der contract next year. Played well today. But he will have to get back to form. Indont think alford is a maybe. Just needs to be healthy.

Point is, with all the issue we have this year with new coach, new qb, new dc, tons of dead cap sace we are going to to toe with the top teams in the league.

Look at the jump in skills from year 1 to 2 with Lamar Jackson. Murray is way better than jackson in his rookie year. I really think we can be a playoff team next year

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We aren't that far, but I am not confident Keim can get us there. We need to add several pieces in FA so we can best maneuver the draft. Cant be wasting money on Suggs, Swearinger and Alford aka guys who gives us next to nothing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Identify our needs. Evaluate the draft and figure who might be available when we draft.

The offense is pretty darn good with the current talent. Not saying for one minute we don’t need to upgrade. Keep Humphries. Keep Drake. Add a bonifide #1 wr. Will Juedy or Lamb be the next Micheal Thomas, Hopkins or Adams. If so then draft one. Maybe one will be available in free agency.

After that it’s all defense. We need a dominant d- lineman. A dominant inside LB with SPEED and someone to replace Suggs.

I lean toward an experience wide receiver. With Kyler emerging it may be a bit easier to coax a #1 wr to come here. D rather go with youth at linebacker.

It can be done.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My only issue is that Kyler is being productive with the tools her currently has. If that is the case, the argument can be had that it is more important to protect him and stop the other team than it is to use premium assets on more weapons. Again, free agency will clear some of this up, but if you made me choose between Wirffs, Wills Jr, Brown, Kinlaw and Lamb, I probably don't choose Lamb.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My only issue is that Kyler is being productive with the tools her currently has. If that is the case, the argument can be had that it is more important to protect him and stop the other team than it is to use premium assets on more weapons. Again, free agency will clear some of this up, but if you made me choose between Wirffs, Wills Jr, Brown, Kinlaw and Lamb, I probably don't choose Lamb.

1 top free agent offensive lineman
2 Best linebacker available to pair with Hicks (shaq Thompson or littleton)
3 sign Eric ebron to have a red zone weapon

Round1 Cee dee lamb /wirf/Thomas
Round 2 DT raekwon Davis or Marvin Wilson
Round 3 pass rusher Kenny Willekes
Round 4 ILB keys Barnes ucla

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
here is an objective national view of whats going on with the Cards:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/18/l...-tua-tagovailoa-colin-kaepernick-mmqb-week-11

Here’s my sense: The Cardinals could fail to win a game the rest of the year, and many there would still feel pretty decent about where the franchise is going versus where it was a year ago. And that’s because of the direction Kliff Kingsbury and Kyler Murray have given it. There was reason to doubt both when they arrived in Phoenix. That doubt’s been replaced with optimism fueled by a coach and quarterback who are competitive before they probably should be, based on the circumstances they came into.

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
Sadly I thought P2 has looked a bit off too, there were a few times where he seemed to get beat from the start of the route and started grabbing jerseys.

Also on the Thompson interception, the TE got loads of separation and if it wasn't overthrown there was no one behind to stop it going for a TD.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Get a top 10 pick.
Re-sign Hump or Franchise.

Where it gets dicey:
Pat P?
DJ?
Shipley?
Long term RT?
Fitz re-upping in the midst of a roster turnover?
Butler's place on the team
Andy's development
Keeping our offensive coaching staff together.

There is too much here for me to think Keim can possibly be successful. He just cannot be trusted.

Reactions: TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Get a top 10 pick. - Yes. Lots of great players who fit needs. Fortunately, we're not seeking a QB.
Re-sign Hump or Franchise. Re-sign, but franchising would be insanely expensive for his position and he's not worth it.

Where it gets dicey:
Pat P? Keep and re-sign
DJ? Have to keep because of cap implications. Use him more at WR. Still a dynamic weapon
Shipley? Replaceable
Long term RT? Draft
Fitz re-upping in the midst of a roster turnover? Starting to hope that he retires. $11mil/season for a guy who's not a focal point of the offense is becoming a concern. If KK decides to feature him, then I'll change my mind.
Butler's place on the team It'll work itself out next season. If Fitz retires, he becomes more valuable
Andy's development - He's getting there, but is still a one-trick pony
Keeping our offensive coaching staff together. Not concerned

There is too much here for me to think Keim can possibly be successful. He just cannot be trusted.

Bolded responses.

And yes, if you look at the needs and the rest of the division, we need a GM we can trust. Keim has lost that trust with his numerous flops in the first round and questionable extensions. I used to defend Keim, but he's made too many mistakes to give me confidence he can right the ship. We're about to sustain our fourth consecutive non-winning season, and there's only one constant in that equation: Suge White.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bolded responses.

And yes, if you look at the needs and the rest of the division, we need a GM we can trust. Keim has lost that trust with his numerous flops in the first round and questionable extensions. I used to defend Keim, but he's made too many mistakes to give me confidence he can right the ship. We're about to sustain our fourth consecutive non-winning season, and there's only one constant in that equation: Suge White.

If Keim has learned anything it should be not extending a single player on the roster right now. However I think we should keep PP21 instead of trading him for a 2nd or 3rd. Show other teams around the league that we don’t cave and get lowballed when a guy wants out. We had our chance to get a worthy return and missed the boat.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bolded responses.

Fitz is still the leading WR on this team. Focal point, no. Main target..... Most of the time.

We need to figure out ways to stretch the field vertically next year. I am hoping Andy and Hakeem can play a big role with that.

We need to fix both lines. Pronto.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Keim has learned anything it should be not extending a single player on the roster right now. However I think we should keep PP21 instead of trading him for a 2nd or 3rd. Show other teams around the league that we don’t cave and get lowballed when a guy wants out. We had our chance to get a worthy return and missed the boat.
With how Patrick has been playing this season, getting a 2nd would be a near miracle.

I used to defend him, but I think it would be a massive mistake if Peterson is still on this roster as of April 25th, 2020.

Reactions: PJ1

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
1. resign DJ Humphries. it pains me, but the team needs some consistency / fewer holes to fill.
2. Shipley as well -- this should be easy
3. I think Fitz returns
4. I think they want to see what P2, Alford and Murphy look like next year, so P2 stays
5. Cap says they are stuck with both DJ and Reddick for 2020

priority adds:

a RT so Justin Murray goes to depth
a chase ILB next to Hicks
2 defensive linemen
Suggs replacement
WR help
TE -- receiver focus

Reactions: PJ1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Patrick Peterson is showing he is in decline. Whether he can use an offseason to make changes, I don't know. If we passed up on a first round pick + (which I don't necessarily believe we did) that seems like a mistake. If the best offer we get moving forward is a 3rd, I think you have to keep him because you can arguably wait a year and get the same return.

Personally, I think the idea of Patrick Peterson as a deep FS and Baker as a box S has merit. I do get that this would require Peterson to make some mindset changes, but when you are having to watch tape of your declining skills and reading about your declining skills, sometimes you make the changes to need to make to get the money you want. Charles Woodson and Malcolm Jenkins both made a change to S and got good money to do so. Peterson wants to keep getting paid and build his legacy...and if you can sell him on the idea that a switch to FS does that, he will buy in.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
With how Patrick has been playing this season, getting a 2nd would be a near miracle.

I used to defend him, but I think it would be a massive mistake if Peterson is still on this roster as of April 25th, 2020.
I still disagree with this unless we make a significant move in FA at CB. We aren't a better defense with a draft pick instead of Patrick Peterson in 2020. Now, if you tell me we add Logan Ryan for 11 mil per year, and get a 2nd for Peterson...I can buy the argument that we are better off.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does PFF or any other stat-based service cover one-on-one battles?

It seems to me that our receivers and coverage defenders lose many more battles than they win and that we're not going to win many more games until this is fixed.

Anyone know?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Does PFF or any other stat-based service cover one-on-one battles?

It seems to me that our receivers and coverage defenders lose many more battles than they win and that we're not going to win many more games until this is fixed.

Anyone know?
Great question. @kerouac9 ?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What is D.J. Humphries worth? According to overthecap, the projected OL Franchise Tag in 2020 is $14.1 million. T

The top OT guarantees are around $34 million (Nate Solder and Taylor Lewan).

I think with a Humphries extension, you're looking at 5 years, $70 million, $30 million guaranteed, and about $14 million per season on average. If he stays healthy for another 5 games, he's really going to have us over a barrel. He probably already does.

We can be pretty picky about which other pending free agents we want to keep. I don't think the comp pick calculation is going to matter much this year.

Fitz'll get his 1-year, $11 million contract again.

I don't think that Keim really has to interview for his job this offseason, but he has to have a plan to:
  • Protect Kyler Murray
  • Supplement Murray's high-end weapons
  • Add defensive front-seven depth
I'm actually pretty confident that Keim can accomplish all three with the resources on hand. OTOH, I think that people thinking that Kenyan Drake is likely to be on this roster next season are BONKERS.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Great question. @kerouac9 ?

I mean, this is basically what PFF grades. I don't really trust those, but obviously the Cards can't be losing all those battles all the time.

It helps a lot when your skill position players can consistently win 1-on-1 battles, because then you don't have to scheme them open — plus it helps dictate coverage to opponents. Offensively, I think that Fitz and Kirk can win 1:1 battles against the majority of NFL defenders, but not top defensive backs.

Defensively, I think that Peterson (still) and Murphy can win 1:1 matchups with probably 70% of the NFL, but anyone who's good they'll need help with.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What is D.J. Humphries worth? According to overthecap, the projected OL Franchise Tag in 2020 is $14.1 million. T

The top OT guarantees are around $34 million (Nate Solder and Taylor Lewan).

I think with a Humphries extension, you're looking at 5 years, $70 million, $30 million guaranteed, and about $14 million per season on average. If he stays healthy for another 5 games, he's really going to have us over a barrel. He probably already does.

We can be pretty picky about which other pending free agents we want to keep. I don't think the comp pick calculation is going to matter much this year.

Fitz'll get his 1-year, $11 million contract again.

I don't think that Keim really has to interview for his job this offseason, but he has to have a plan to:
  • Protect Kyler Murray
  • Supplement Murray's high-end weapons
  • Add defensive front-seven depth
I'm actually pretty confident that Keim can accomplish all three with the resources on hand. OTOH, I think that people thinking that Kenyan Drake is likely to be on this roster next season are BONKERS.

There has to be a certain point where you stop paying Fitz $11 million per year right? I don't think winning teams continue to pay players over their production value because they are a franchise icon.

Take CeeDee Lamb in the 1st to replace Fitz. Use the cap space on defense (Chris Jones!!).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose