A thank you to Steve Keim

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL teams arent caring about ranking...they are looking at play calls and design which Kliff is clearly doing quite well.

Aren't his play calls in the red zone a subject of intense scrutiny and criticism?

I simply don't believe his play designs are anything unique or special. His hiring is the result of this crazy McVay fascination. No big deal. I am interested to see where next season goes and even the one afterwards...i think he should get 3 years minimum.

Sadly, Kliff had been saddled with Meathead stocking the roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe misread. End of next year is possible. No one is screaming out “let’s hire that guy who crafted the #14 offense!!!”
I think the guy who is doing this with a rookie QB, Fitz, Kirk and a collection of castoffs (Drake, Maxx, Clay, Pugh, Shipley, Sweezy, JMurray, PCooper) might be....

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess ten years of actual coaching experience in the NFL is totally the same as being a backup and on a practice squad for 3 years.
Woah, you’re actually using context for something? Wow!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Matt LaFleur.
Uh he’s coached in the nfl for 10 seasons with a one season break at Notre dame. Not to mention he was offensive coordinator for a rams team that ranked #1 in points in 2017. Even if he was just McVays clipboard holder that’s something more than kk had in the league. By a shot. Unless I got something wrong.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the guy who is doing this with a rookie QB, Fitz, Kirk and a collection of castoffs (Drake, Maxx, Clay, Pugh, Shipley, Sweezy, JMurray, PCooper) might be....
I’m curious, if he was our offensive coordinator, doing what he’s done this year, and everything stayed the current course, you think he’d be a hot commodity for a head coaching slot this offseason?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh he’s coached in the nfl for 10 seasons with a one season break at Notre dame. Not to mention he was offensive coordinator for a rams team that ranked #1 in points in 2017. Even if he was just McVays clipboard holder that’s something more than kk had in the league. By a shot. Unless I got something wrong.
If LaFleur got hired as a HC despite being a middling first time OC in Tennessee(I don’t think they even cracked the top 20 in total offense. Yea, everyone knows McVay ran that offense), there’s no doubt that Kliff would get poached up just as quick with a worse offensive roster. This is also a league where Adam Gase is getting hired despite fielding crap offenses because he was Peyton’s lackey.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For clinching fourth consecutive non-winning season and putting "same old" back in the Cardinals.

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk
Wah wah wah football sucks we get it

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Eh I don’t think what he’s done with the team thus far this year would merit that. The cardinals ain’t exactly the buzz of the season. Even offensively.

Eh, that’s kind of saying a lot with what our current offensive personnel.

Our offensive personnel after Kyler is in the bottom quarter of the NFL. We just racked up two of the three best offensive games of the season against what might be a historically good defense — with a head coach that has no NFL experience and a QB with one year as a starter in college. Don’t mess with the algorithm. Add better parts.

I’m even willing to give Vance another year. Keim learned his lesson and isn’t going to shift between 3-4 and 4-3 again. Our defensive line is trash after Peters. We have two good linebackers. We have three rookie defensive backs getting a ton of snaps. We will get better and less unlucky on that side of the ball.

Keim should probably be fired because he’s embarrassing and likely to screw this pooch. But I don’t know how replacing him with Adrian Wilson changes anything at all.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is the game that pushed me into the FIRE KEIM camp.

We have been competitive in 10/11 games this year. We have had a legit chance to win 5 additional games this year, and we had a legit chance of blowing 2 of the 3 wins we currently have. But...we are competitive. We are able to play with anyone in the league so far. Win?? Not so much.

We are extremely undisciplined. We are basically the most penalized team in the NFL. Our execution in crunch time is horrid...especially on defense. Without Kyler Murray we are winless this year. With an even below average defense, we are probably 7-4.

I guess my point is that this team is actually a lot closer to being a playoff contender than I thought we would be in year 1. The record looks bad, but we are actually a very competitive team. We are going to have the draft pick, and the FA money to make a huge leap next year. I do not want Keim orchestrating the most important offseason we have had in a long time. We FINALLY have a franchise QB, and now we need to play to his strengths, give him playmakers, and field a defense that can hold a lead, or actually win us a game from time to time.

Based on what KM has shown this year, I think there are GM's that will be "all in" on the KM and KK on the offensive side of the ball. It may not be an old school, long term NFL GM...and thats ok. We may need to get an outside the box thinker, but we CANNOT afford to have complete strike out drafts during KM's rookie deal. We CANNOT spend 65 million dollars in FA and end up with a bunch of scrubs.

I would put a call into Ed Dodds...the top scout for the Colts, or someone like Luis Riddick or Daniel Jeremiah

I think this hurts the most. Would be one of the big deals of the NFL right now. Shame

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m curious, if he was our offensive coordinator, doing what he’s done this year, and everything stayed the current course, you think he’d be a hot commodity for a head coaching slot this offseason?
Yes. The league is so desperate for offensive coaches to groom young QBs that he would have been scooped up. Whether we always like how he is going about things, his ability to keep the #1 pick overall healthy, productive, and mitigate an average offensive line is something that GMs and owners really value. Getting and keeping the QB right ensures people continue to have employment for the most part. Organizations want stability, continuity, offense and a young QB to market to fans. Kliff checks these boxes.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Our offensive personnel after Kyler is in the bottom quarter of the NFL. We just racked up two of the three best offensive games of the season against what might be a historically good defense — with a head coach that has no NFL experience and a QB with one year as a starter in college. Don’t mess with the algorithm. Add better parts.

I’m even willing to give Vance another year. Keim learned his lesson and isn’t going to shift between 3-4 and 4-3 again. Our defensive line is trash after Peters. We have two good linebackers. We have three rookie defensive backs getting a ton of snaps. We will get better and less unlucky on that side of the ball.

Keim should probably be fired because he’s embarrassing and likely to screw this pooch. But I don’t know how replacing him with Adrian Wilson changes anything at all.
Moving on from Keim is probably less about the job and more about the image. It is like David Johnson. You can only make so many excuses for someone before you have to drop the hammer. I probably need to take some time to really look at this past offseason and see if he turned a page, was unlucky, or continued to display a poor process.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

and if Keim goes …. this scenario is the prohibitive favorite

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Moving on from Keim is probably less about the job and more about the image. It is like David Johnson. You can only make so many excuses for someone before you have to drop the hammer. I probably need to take some time to really look at this past offseason and see if he turned a page, was unlucky, or continued to display a poor process.

I just don't think this offseason is a large enough sample size. IMO, Peterson, Philon, and Alford were bad luck. Swearinger and Crabtree were bad decisions. Marcus Gilbert was a coin flip that went bad. Hicks has been good luck.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I just don't think this offseason is a large enough sample size. IMO, Peterson, Philon, and Alford were bad luck. Swearinger and Crabtree were bad decisions. Marcus Gilbert was a coin flip that went bad. Hicks has been good luck.
8 mil on Suggs was a bad process move. I agree the same about Swearinger and Crabtree. How he handled the draft and Rosen, IMO, was a bad process move even if he ultimately gets the same return. The RB situation heading into the Giants game was a bad process move. Zach Allen being a wasted roster spot was a bad process move. Not ensuring Hakeem Butler was eligible for IR return was a bad process move.

Gilbert yes...low financial risk move that didn't pan out. Alford is ok as it was a pre-draft move. Peterson and Philon were agreeably bad luck. Hicks has been good process and good result IMO.

The draft is way too early to call. Murphy looks good. Isabella looks a bit overdrafted. Allen is still unknown. Butler is the same. Thompson looks like a good 5th round pick. Gaillard is too early to tell.

In season is the same. Crabtree was a bad move. Extending Maxx was a good move. Justin Murray was a good move. Only having 34 players under contract for next year is a bad move though I guess it could be spun that it enables Kliff to get guys he wants.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
SK, thank you for drafting Kyler Murray and not listening to all the Bosa clowns.

Because by drafting Murray we are totally winning now? No. Both our offense and defense were in crapper. Making one side mediocre and leaving the other the same wasn't going to fix it. He could either start with defense or offense and neither was a wrong decision (but QBs are more of a gamble) because realistically it is going to take another 2 or 3 really good drafts to get this team in a position to compete for the division and Keim sucks at drafting... But maybe our blind squirrel will find a nut.

The only thing laughable at the KM/air raid vs Bosa/defense debate that was by drafting KM we would go full on B12 and not field a solid defense and just win close games putting up 42+ PPG.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Two things:
1. Bosa is best in a 4-3, while we play a 3-4.
2. We've had a couple of recent second round picks that seem to have a bright future.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A plea; As a lifetime overweight guy, can we PLEASE stop the name calling with Keim??? My lord, its just so damn childish, and makes A LOT of veteran posters on this board look like complete a-holes. I in no way would feign support for SK right now, but I also will rely solely on his job performance to inform that opinion, and not stoop to the ridiculously playground level of calling the man fat, drunk, or a philanderer (which I didnt even know was a thing).

Please?

PLEASE?????

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's just reality that Keim is has a drinking problem and that has and continues to negatively impact both his professional and personal life. The organization can't trust it's future with a guy like that.

This is a well reasoned, and intelligently stated analogy as to why SK's drinking is problematic. I can get behind this type of critique.