What moves on D will move the needle the most?

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As tempting as it is to go WR or OL with our top-10 pick, it has to be defense, right?

But where do we go? We do decently against the run, does that mean we look more at LB or DB than D-line? Who can step in and be a difference maker?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No real big time LB in this draft. Good but nobody that’s like wow.

Derrick Brown is my #1 choice. Delpit is my #2

I’ll tell you what I’ll give my #1 for Myles Garret even if he misses 10 games next year. I’d throw big money at Clowney.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No real big time LB in this draft. Good but nobody that’s like wow.

Derrick Brown is my #1 choice. Delpit is my #2

I’ll tell you what I’ll give my #1 for Myles Garret even if he misses 10 games next year. I’d throw big money at Clowney.
Delpit has been horrible this year & his tackling has just been downright atrocious.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Got to be DLine (someone to hold the inside and also bring inside pressure to collapse the pocket or a DE who can hold the edge and has good pass rush skills also.Zack Allen might prove to be that DE in the future but if you have a chance to draft talent you take it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
horrible is a bit of an overstatement
I’m not trying to be mean, but you haven’t watched him if you think otherwise. Even LSU fans know it. Go search his name on Twitter. He peaked last year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not trying to be mean, but you haven’t watched him if you think otherwise. Even LSU fans know it. Go search his name on Twitter. He peaked last year.

I’ve actually watched a ton of LSU. Who’s the best safety in the draft? Yup despite not playing as well as he did last year he’s still a stud.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As depleted as we are on the defensive side... The biggest move we can make to improve our D... Is a better coordinator.

Even with our obvious lack of talent.... I see guys so far out of position to make a play, even all-pro's in those spots wouldn't help.

Who knows? Maybe their just so bad, they are that out of position??

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Delpit has been horrible this year & his tackling has just been downright atrocious.
He hasnt been the same guy since the ankle injury. Which may allow him to be available when we draft. If he could have declared after his soph. Year he would have been a top 5 pick.

I'd be fine with delpit, derrick brown, Jerry Judy, epenesa, kinlaw, gross matos,

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Derrick Brown
Javon Kinlaw
Isaiah Simmons
K'Lavon Chaisson

Those are the options that I think I am comfortable with in round 1 if we want to upgrade the defense though I believe we will do so in free agency.

Brown and Kinlaw gives us a big DE who can generate interior pressure. Chaisson gives us young speed and size off the edge. He is not Chase Young, but he gives us a nice complement outside.

My only worry is that we play in a more physical division and he is going to have to put on weight to hold up.

Simmons is out of the norm for me as I don't like the idea of a hydrid LB/S...but we need players to run down Wilson, keep up with Kittle, and protect the middle of our defense vs the Rams.

This all said, Marvin Wilson, Epenesa, and a bunch of other dudes fit in round 2 and open up more options in round 1.

I still think Wirffs and then Marvin are our ideal options at this point in time.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a good MLB to replace Reddick is our biggest need. We need better corners, and an OLB on the opposite side of Jones.

I actually don't think the D-line is that big of a need. They are doing a good enough job stuffing the run, and I don't expect a pass rush from them in a 3-4.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need a a fast young inside linebacker and a fast young outside linebacker to replace Suggs.
Yes, Yes, and yes. Please send Reddick packing I’ve had enough of his mistakes on field. He should be sitting next to DJ.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Got to be DLine (someone to hold the inside and also bring inside pressure to collapse the pocket or a DE who can hold the edge and has good pass rush skills also.Zack Allen might prove to be that DE in the future but if you have a chance to draft talent you take it.
100% how I feel. I've been saying it for a while now. Disruptive DT is exactly what we need.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Too many uneducated guesses in here. I'm not the biggest fan of Vance Joseph, but his plan against the 49ers was solid and spot-on. We held Tevin Coleman to 14 yards on 12 carries! Sold out to stop the run, which was the right call as evidenced by a pair Jimmy G's boneheaded picks and the 49ers offense usually flowing through Shanny's zone run game and play action.

The main culprit here is that the talent level of our defense doesn't allow to play the run and the pass more balanced. We have a rookie CB across from a struggling PP. Don't even know who the 3rd CB is but does it really matter? Budda is fine, and even Jaylen Thompson showed some nice flashes, although remember he is a 5th round rookie from the supplemental draft. Reddick can't play LB. Our DL sucks. Don't get fooled by our stout run defense stats. This was a product of stacking the box and everybody playing run-first. Neither Peters, nor Gunter, Kerr, Brown and whoever will scare opponents. Chandler Jones and Hicks are the only good players we have in the front seven. Nobody else should see the field as a starter. Vance Joseph knows he has to pick the poison, but at least he picked the right one in recent weeks. He contained the Bucs stud WRs as good as humanly possible and then we just fell short because of a bad INT. Same could be said about the 49ers run game, but ultimately we fell short again because we did nothing on offense with the 2 picks. Dropping Chandler Jones in coverage looks like a dick move, but I can understand it. We didn't get home with 4 rushers unless it was 3rd & very long. Their protection was focussed and shifting towards Chandler Jones. Dropping him was to fool their rookie LT and leaving 5 or 6 blitzers against 4 OL. Unfortunately they had the perfect call with RB Wilson, who hasn't been in the game before I think, running a nifty route. Then again, I think sticking to a more conservative approach - 4 man rush, soft zone - would have lead to the same result as Jimmy G was moving the ball at will and there was enough time. You don't play for OT on the road.

So what can we change next season? OL could use help of course, but it's not killing us. The running game is decent and Murray moves the ball mostly mistake-free. With an average defense we would probably be in the midst of the wildcard race right now. I'm not sure about Vance Joseph. Not much he could change imo. Has to play the cards he's been dealt. Drafting DL for interior pressure and run stuffing without totally selling out would be nice. Or another ER opposite Jones. Or a legit ILB next to Hicks. Delpit's struggles have been overblown. He is a great playmaker and has proven it over the last couple years. Happens all the time that stud safety prospects fall on draft day for various reasons, only to be big playmakers at the NFL level. Delpit is in the mold of Jamal Adams and deserving of a top 10 selection imo. Just a natural safety with elite instincts and athleticism, no experiment. Ultimately we must pick the best defensive player on the board. We can use help on all levels.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too many uneducated guesses in here. I'm not the biggest fan of Vance Joseph, but his plan against the 49ers was solid and spot-on. We held Tevin Coleman to 14 yards on 12 carries! Sold out to stop the run, which was the right call as evidenced by a pair Jimmy G's boneheaded picks and the 49ers offense usually flowing through Shanny's zone run game and play action.

The main culprit here is that the talent level of our defense doesn't allow to play the run and the pass more balanced. We have a rookie CB across from a struggling PP. Don't even know who the 3rd CB is but does it really matter? Budda is fine, and even Jaylen Thompson showed some nice flashes, although remember he is a 5th round rookie from the supplemental draft. Reddick can't play LB. Our DL sucks. Don't get fooled by our stout run defense stats. This was a product of stacking the box and everybody playing run-first. Neither Peters, nor Gunter, Kerr, Brown and whoever will scare opponents. Chandler Jones and Hicks are the only good players we have in the front seven. Nobody else should see the field as a starter. Vance Joseph knows he has to pick the poison, but at least he picked the right one in recent weeks. He contained the Bucs stud WRs as good as humanly possible and then we just fell short because of a bad INT. Same could be said about the 49ers run game, but ultimately we fell short again because we did nothing on offense with the 2 picks. Dropping Chandler Jones in coverage looks like a dick move, but I can understand it. We didn't get home with 4 rushers unless it was 3rd & very long. Their protection was focussed and shifting towards Chandler Jones. Dropping him was to fool their rookie LT and leaving 5 or 6 blitzers against 4 OL. Unfortunately they had the perfect call with RB Wilson, who hasn't been in the game before I think, running a nifty route. Then again, I think sticking to a more conservative approach - 4 man rush, soft zone - would have lead to the same result as Jimmy G was moving the ball at will and there was enough time. You don't play for OT on the road.

So what can we change next season? OL could use help of course, but it's not killing us. The running game is decent and Murray moves the ball mostly mistake-free. With an average defense we would probably be in the midst of the wildcard race right now. I'm not sure about Vance Joseph. Not much he could change imo. Has to play the cards he's been dealt. Drafting DL for interior pressure and run stuffing without totally selling out would be nice. Or another ER opposite Jones. Or a legit ILB next to Hicks. Delpit's struggles have been overblown. He is a great playmaker and has proven it over the last couple years. Happens all the time that stud safety prospects fall on draft day for various reasons, only to be big playmakers at the NFL level. Delpit is in the mold of Jamal Adams and deserving of a top 10 selection imo. Just a natural safety with elite instincts and athleticism, no experiment. Ultimately we must pick the best defensive player on the board. We can use help on all levels.

Pretty well thought out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drafting a safety, let alone a massively overrated one, when he’s not even top 20 BPA & being at the very bottom list of needs, is the absolute worst thing you can do.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The problem is we have no clue what kind of defense we will be running next year. If we don’t win another game I can’t imagine VJ getting another year. We could be switching back to a 4-3 or a modified nickel. We need to draft a LB that specializes in dropping back into coverage or go man on a TE. I don’t know who that is but that’s what we need to move the needle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose