2019-20 Northern AZ Suns G-League Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lecque looking good. I wonder why the Suns only suited up 8 players.

Also new Suns addition point guard ShawnDre Jones played well with 14 points and 12 assists.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we've hired a good staff for the NAZ Suns. We've seen at the NBA level how little development takes place without leadership. If they're just out there playing street ball, trying to show off their skills, then it's an exercise in futility.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I hope we've hired a good staff for the NAZ Suns. We've seen at the NBA level how little development takes place without leadership. If they're just out there playing street ball, trying to show off their skills, then it's an exercise in futility.
They had 27 assists on 44 field goals in this game tonight. If that is a constant for the season than it would point at them playing as a team. My hope would be that they are using similar concepts as the big club so that when players are called up from there they would be more likely to fit right in.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty Jerome is in uniform but he hasn't entered the game yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's actually played 5 minutes, but the shot was off. He got to the free throw line once and missed his 1 free throw that was worth two points.

I'm watching. Jerome handles the ball well. I believe he has scored 6-7 points but the box score is not up to date.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm watching. Jerome handles the ball well. I believe he has scored 6 points but the box score is not up to date.
He has two missed free throws that were worth a total of 5 points. In the G-League you only get 1 free throw whether you are fouled on a two or a three, but the one free throw is worth the points of the shot you were fouled on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has two missed free throws that were worth a total of 5 points. In the G-League you only get 1 free throw whether you are fouled on a two or a three, but the one free throw is worth the points of the shot you were fouled on.

I so dislike those 1-2 or 1-3 free throw rules. Hope they never make it to the NBA. Overall I think Jerome looks quite impressive thus far in his first G-League appearance.

I have him with about 10 points.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I so dislike those 1-2 or 1-3 free throw rules. Hope they never make it to the NBA. Overall I think Jerome looks quite impressive thus far in his first G-League appearance.

I have him with about 10 points.
He has 9, but because of the free throw rule he has been robbed of at least 2-3 more points.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
For those who want to watch, the NAZ Suns game is underway live. They are playing the Iowa Wolves.

https://gleague.nba.com/games/20191126/IWANAS/
Great. Now I can't stop watching G League either. Thanks a lot Mainstreet. :)

Jerome is NOT ready. Man is he slow.

Lecque is NOT ready. Man is he fast. (... and aggressive... and athletic... and high motored... and impressive)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. Now I can't stop watching G League either. Thanks a lot Mainstreet. :)

Jerome is NOT ready. Man is he slow.

Lecque is NOT ready. Man is he fast. (... and aggressive... and athletic... and high motored... and impressive)

Jerome is not an athletic player. His upside is a Hornacek type player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lecque getting it going with 16 points.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah sure, he's got to be in his mid 50's by now.

Name one player of Hornacek's size and lack of athleticism that is even a rotation player anywhere in today's NBA, as opposed to, say, Jimmer Fredette...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Name one player of Hornacek's size and lack of athleticism that is even a rotation player anywhere in today's NBA, as opposed to, say, Jimmer Fredette...

I don't see a problem with his size but yeah, his foot speed might be an issue in today's game. OTOH, his smarts plus his outside shot might give him a solid role off the bench.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a link to the condensed version of the game, it only shows scoring plays. It speeds things up, which is cool, and a good way to catch up on the G-League. It's kind of like the replays that the NFL network does where they only show plays that result in positive yards. You can catch all of the game, basically, in 15 minutes. Of course if you want to see someone play defense then this isn't the right way to watch but I don't think defense in the G-League is all that comparable to the NBA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I honestly feel like you don't watch anything but highlights if you don't think a player like Hornacek could hack it in today's league. If anything, the modern rules make it easier for a rangey, off ball, player like him than the league of the late 90s and early 2000s.

Jimmer's problem was that he couldn't pass or play off the ball... if he could have even become decent at either ability he would have had a solid career. Hornacek was nothing like Jimmer.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I honestly feel like you don't watch anything but highlights if you don't think a player like Hornacek could hack it in today's league. If anything, the modern rules make it easier for a rangey, off ball, player like him than the league of the late 90s and early 2000s.

Jimmer's problem was that he couldn't pass or play off the ball... if he could have even become decent at either ability he would have had a solid career. Hornacek was nothing like Jimmer.

I only cited Jimmer to illustrate a point, not to compare Hornacek to him.

And I'm still waiting for the name of one guard with Hornacek's lack of athleticism who is even a rotation player in today's NBA...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I only cited Jimmer to illustrate a point, not to compare Hornacek to him.

And I'm still waiting for the name of one guard with Hornacek's lack of athleticism who is even a rotation player in today's NBA...
Well, you also think that Cam Johnson has a shooting motion too slow to get a shot off... so I think your idea of athleticism is too out of touch to debate.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, you also think that Cam Johnson has a shooting motion too slow to get a shot off... so I think your idea of athleticism is too out of touch to debate.

In other words, you can't, so instead you choose to try to deflect...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
In other words, you can't, so instead you choose to try to deflect...
Without really delving too deep into it the first name that pops in my head is Satoransky. The guy is pretty poor athlete and is a good rotation player in the league. He's also similar in size to Jerome.

Of course you have Luka who isn't exactly much of an athlete, but is dominating on a nightly basis while always going against the other team's best defenders.

Another great example is Brogdon. He has similar size, is a marginally better athlete and is playing at an all star level right now.

Last edited: