Fire Joseph right now!

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
They completely took away the run from SF. That is no small feat.

The short and intermediate passes were shredding the D. The only thing that was successful against these plays were the few blitzes that were dialed up so I’m really not that mad at the last call.

The blitz forced a rushed throw to an UDFA back that was behind him and he made a nice catch, Jones fell down, there was no help in the middle of the field, and that was that.

Seriously I don’t think it was that bad of a call. It was aggressive. He took a chance. We weren’t stopping them sitting back and playing base defense, so why not?

After the previous 3rd down play where SF was gifted the first down on a very favorable spot when it looked like the ball was short, IMO it was pretty clear we were going to need to take a chance and force the issue if we wanted to win.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is there any person on this board whom you'd rather have as DC than V Joseph? There may be one or two brilliant play callers or DC's waiting in the weeds, and not to denegrate anyone's football knowledge,but if it were my money - as of right now, I'd stick with Vance?

Is he perfect? No...no...no...no. Is he kind of a mixed bag? Well probably? Are there areas he could improve? Yeah. Will he learn from his mistakes? Dunno.

Two most glaring mistakes (both sides of the ball): (1) Ignoring little-used SF WR's, TE's and RB's in coverage. (2) Not making late game adjustments or (expecting SF to adjust to what we were doing). Chalk up some of this to lack of a experience.

Is the only way to make our players "smarter" to fire VJ? Or can he grow in the job? To start over each year and fire inexperienced coaches is a giant wheel spin. We should be analyze our strengths and weaknesses and figure out what we need to do to correct them. Firing is only one option.
“Lack of experience” - surely you’re not talking about Vance Joseph . . .

your post kinda makes no sense.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, last year we fired two coaches after one and done seasons. We took a lot of heat in the media for it, no matter how deserving the firings were (because of our poor play).

I don't think he will fire him after just one year this time.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Jeff you’re always a great poster & use logic to nearly every post, but I feel your dead wrong on this one.

Should this team & franchise be scared to fire another coach just because they did it last year? I say no. My reasoning:

1) this pass defense is getting worse almost on a weekly basis

2) almost weekly career days in yards, TDs, completions by numerous QBs

3) 11 weeks of trends of poor play

4) few adjustments to correct poor WEEKLY trends. Like a broken record...

5) almost every aspect of this team has improved from last season except for its defense, particularly the pass D.

6) the stats don’t lie
329 passing yard per game
29 TDs
71% completion

Those are gawd awful & quite alarming

7) have you ever seen more easy wide open throws game after game after game? I can honestly say I haven’t. Way way too easy

I think the talent & depth as a whole unit is below average but I think the coaching, schemes & adjustments are piss poor and worse than the talent.

Make the move & Fire VJ and don’t look back!!! This defense is the WORST in the NFL & it’s coaching imo is the worst in the NFL as well.

Is there any person on this board whom you'd rather have as DC than V Joseph? There may be one or two brilliant play callers or DC's waiting in the weeds, and not to denegrate anyone's football knowledge,but if it were my money - as of right now, I'd stick with Vance?

Is he perfect? No...no...no...no. Is he kind of a mixed bag? Well probably? Are there areas he could improve? Yeah. Will he learn from his mistakes? Dunno.

Two most glaring mistakes (both sides of the ball): (1) Ignoring little-used SF WR's, TE's and RB's in coverage. (2) Not making late game adjustments or (expecting SF to adjust to what we were doing). Chalk up some of this to lack of a experience.

Is the only way to make our players "smarter" to fire VJ? Or can he grow in the job? To start over each year and fire inexperienced coaches is a giant wheel spin. We should be analyze our strengths and weaknesses and figure out what we need to do to correct them. Firing is only one option.

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So Bettcher struggled in 2017, Wilks struggled and now VJ is struggling. How would do you deduct where the problem lies?

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When I see how terrible our LB and Safety play is with coverage... My instinct is to just blitz them if they can't cover the middle anyway.... But God as my witness, I told my wife... "Don't get cute here VJ, just play for OT."

:bang::bang::bang:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like so many DCs in the past, I think VJ can coach a position, I just don't think he is an adequate coordinator in the NFL.

Look at the staff that Kliff has assembled in the offense, and he has never coached at this level. Then look at what Vance has assembled on the defense, and it's incredibly mediocre for a former head coach and coordinator.

I don't see the defense improving with this coaching staff, they are below average in BOTH pass and run defense (ranked 26/21 respectively). Bottom 5 points per game and yards per game. Just bad everywhere and getting PP2 back didn't impact these numbers. This is beyond the roster, this is coaching.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When I see how terrible our LB and Safety play is with coverage... My instinct is to just blitz them if they can't cover the middle anyway.... But God as my witness, I told my wife... "Don't get cute here VJ, just play for OT."

:bang::bang::bang:
100% correct on this thought. Keep everything in front and concede the FG. Having Jones drop in coverage and expose the middle of the field at that point in the game was horrendous call. Play four across and keep them inbounds.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Bob Kemp has a poll on this right now at on who deserves more blame: Keim or Vance Joseph. Keim at 83%

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score
So Bettcher struggled in 2017, Wilks struggled and now VJ is struggling. How would do you deduct where the problem lies?
You keep swinging for the fences until you get it SOMEWHAT right. Standing pat is a total disservice to the HC, the players & the organization

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You keep swinging for the fences until you get it SOMEWHAT right. Standing pat is a total disservice to the HC, the players & the organization

My insinuation was it is not the coaches it is the talent and that falls on the hero GM.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score
My insinuation was it is not the coaches it is the talent and that falls on the hero GM.
I still think the coaching & schemes are worse than the players but that’s me. It’s piss poor on both ends no matter how anyone sees it imo.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like so many DCs in the past, I think VJ can coach a position, I just don't think he is an adequate coordinator in the NFL.

Look at the staff that Kliff has assembled in the offense, and he has never coached at this level. Then look at what Vance has assembled on the defense, and it's incredibly mediocre for a former head coach and coordinator.

I don't see the defense improving with this coaching staff, they are below average in BOTH pass and run defense (ranked 26/21 respectively). Bottom 5 points per game and yards per game. Just bad everywhere and getting PP2 back didn't impact these numbers. This is beyond the roster, this is coaching.
It's obvious. We have a great quarter from the defense, then adjustments are made on the other side and expose Vance. He has no counter or ability to react appropriately to those adjustments, then proceeds to get outcoached the rest of the game.. he is good for one quarter a game. That's it's..talent sure wasn't an issue for that portion of the game from what I saw.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
As a Broncos fan, I can attest to the fact that Vance Joseph does not have a clue what he is doing.

But maybe the Cardinals can hire Vic Fangio when the Broncos inevitably fire him. At least he's only clueless as a head coach, but has some actual ability as a DC.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They completely took away the run from SF. That is no small feat.

The short and intermediate passes were shredding the D. The only thing that was successful against these plays were the few blitzes that were dialed up so I’m really not that mad at the last call.

The blitz forced a rushed throw to an UDFA back that was behind him and he made a nice catch, Jones fell down, there was no help in the middle of the field, and that was that.

Seriously I don’t think it was that bad of a call. It was aggressive. He took a chance. We weren’t stopping them sitting back and playing base defense, so why not?

After the previous 3rd down play where SF was gifted the first down on a very favorable spot when it looked like the ball was short, IMO it was pretty clear we were going to need to take a chance and force the issue if we wanted to win.
My issue is that he started out stopping the run...then we got up...and he still sold out to stop the run. He was so aggressive that his defense got crushed on a screen play that sparked the 49ers. HIs defense got crushed vs SF on crossing and misdirection plays...and today we got crushed on crossing and misdirection plays. No adjustment over the course of weeks not just half to half.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score
Chop it’s funny that you say that. I posted this & it played out exactly like I said. As you say Joseph made zero adjustments & Shannahan did a complete 180 & schooled Joseph to laughable proportions!!! He played actioned our defense to death & we lost because of of Joseph’s ineptitude

I hated being right, but in this league coaching matters!
Funny I told my wife at half Shannahan would play action the defense to death in the 2nd half & they hit 3 big plays on the first drive off of it lol :lol:
My issue is that he started out stopping the run...then we got up...and he still sold out to stop the run. He was so aggressive that his defense got crushed on a screen play that sparked the 49ers. HIs defense got crushed vs SF on crossing and misdirection plays...and today we got crushed on crossing and misdirection plays. No adjustment over the course of weeks not just half to half.