2019-20 Northern AZ Suns G-League Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harper has had a couple of assists inside for baskets in the second half but the assists in the box score do not reflect it. So it's hard to see what a point guard is doing looking at stats besides scoring.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daxter Miles Jr. can't make free throws and the NAZ Suns lose 121-120 to Agua Caliente Clippers.

Lecque might be injured as he did not reenter the game near the end.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harper plays like our pg's did last year.

To some extent but I view Harper as a much more talented player much in the mode of Isaiah Thomas. He can flat out score the basketball. If Monty could reign his offense in a bit, have him focus more on being a playmaker, I think he could play on the NBA level. He knows on to run a team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To some extent but I view Harper as a much more talented player much in the mode of Isaiah Thomas. He can flat out score the basketball. If Monty could reign his offense in a bit, have him focus more on being a playmaker, I think he could play on the NBA level. He knows on to run a team.
I don't know. When I watch him, I get this horrible sense that I am watching Isaiah Canaan or Mike James all over again.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't know. When I watch him, I get this horrible sense that I am watching Isaiah Canaan or Mike James all over again.
Those guys wouldn't have been seen as so bad if they weren't relied upon to play a huge role for the team. If Harper can simply come off the bench and occasionally get some extended minutes when he gets it going on offense than it could be a good move.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He reminds me of a score first Tyler Ulis. Ulis wasn't a bad playmaker, it's when he was looking to get himself going that he showed he wasn't an NBA player. Harper's a better shooter but at his size it's too easy to shut him down if he's only looking for his own shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I tend to look at what a player can do instead of what he can't so I tend to be optimistic. Maybe this is the case here but the Suns seen enough in Harper to sign him to a two way contract.

What I see is a young floor general who needs to rein in his offense and concentrate more on his passing skills. I think he is more like IT than anyone I can think of at the moment.

IMO, he will always be able to get his shot off but it's the rest of his game I worry about. He has the skills but they need to be cultivated. The big question is if they can.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't seen much of Lecque, definitely not enough to be as hyped as others in regards to the Suns signing him but he's got some insane hops. Check out this block. I know the camera angle could be deceptive but look where he touches the backboard on his way down, that should tell you it's not just the camera angle that makes it appear that he's so high up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hadn't seen much of Lecque, definitely not enough to be as hyped as others in regards to the Suns signing him but he's got some insane hops. Check out this block. I know the camera angle could be deceptive but look where he touches the backboard on his way down, that should tell you it's not just the camera angle that makes it appear that he's so high up.

Yup if that kid harnesses his talent he could be scary good.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns need a point guard like Ja, Trey or all the other top 5 pg's taken the last four years. Harper is not one of them, Now Lecque has me wondering.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns need a point guard like Ja, Trey or all the other top 5 pg's taken the last four years. Harper is not one of them, Now Lecque has me wondering.

leque’s jump shot is all that is holding him back. In the first couple g league games he has shot surprisingly well from 3.

I have hopes he will get some minutes with the suns by the end of the year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
leque’s jump shot is all that is holding him back. In the first couple g league games he has shot surprisingly well from 3.

I have hopes he will get some minutes with the suns by the end of the year.
Well, that and the fact that I don’t think he knows how to run a team yet. He’s got a lot of maturing in his game yet to be done. That said, he’s got outta this world physical talent. And seemingly a good attitude.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, that and the fact that I don’t think he knows how to run a team yet. He’s got a lot of maturing in his game yet to be done. That said, he’s got outta this world physical talent. And seemingly a good attitude.
That's holding him back from being the lead guard, but he could be a solid team contributor well before he ever gets that part down. If he simply refines some of the team play aspects on both ends and can make a healthy amount of his outside shots he could be at least a good bench player for us. Time will tell though as I suspect he still isn't even there yet.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many people pulled up Twitter or just watched that block in the post but his highlights from the entire game were the next tweet down, here they if you didn't see them already. His vertical is just insane. There are a few plays here that are nothing that special other than how high he jumps. He has a putback at 1:40 where you can see that his waist is above other players shoulders, easily. He doesn't seem to try very hard to get hops like that either. He makes it look effortless.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harper is an undersized shooting guard. That is becoming clear. After 2 games. 30.5 pts, 4.5 ast. 6 TOV, 52% fg, 50% 3pt.

Lecque. 14 pts, 3 rbs, 4 ast, 2.5 TOV, 46% fg, 40% 3pt.

Lecque's numbers are more encouraging to me than Harper's. Harper's numbers would be encouraging if he wssn't a midget.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly he is talking about NBA standards. By NBA standards Harper is VERY short.

I remember this this discussion was on the Cardinals forum as well.

Players with average height can play quarterback in the NFL or point guard in the NBA.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Players with average height can play quarterback in the NFL or point guard in the NBA.
No one is saying that they can't. The problem with Harper is that he's essentially a SG in a very short PGs body. Also short players have sever limitations on a basketball court, defense being the most glaring one.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But he is not a pg. His assist to TO ratio is 1/2.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not a believer in Harper at all.

He is not good enough or big enough to be a 2 guard, and he is unable to distribute whatsoever.

I have no idea why the Suns are playing him, when we could be using the playing time for Leque and Okobo, who are far far better prospects for the NBA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose