A thank you to Steve Keim

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Kliff was our OC.... he would be stolen from us to be a HC somewhere by the end of next year. Tops.

100% accurate & EXACTLY why we hired him as our HC. MB knew how bad this team was last year, and he’s very happy with the progress he’s seeing. At least on the offensive side of the ball. As difficult as it is to see us lose close games, this was never expected to be fixed overnight.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
We have an insanely good 22 year old QB with a good head on his shoulders. You HAVE to make hay with this. We can win a Super Bowl with this kid I'm telling you if we get the right pieces around him...

...and Keim will screw it up. His personal life is a mess and he sucks at his job. If Michael wants to hold that trophy then this is a move he has to make.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SoonerLou rolling in with the exact right take again... jerk. :cheers:
The Crabtree move showed me there was no real plan for this season.

Right now Keim is just banking on Kyler being incredible/one of those QBs that can overcome poor management and coaching/defense.

Which if we were winning...that would be one thing. However, with Keim running the show...

Well look at the Lions, Browns, and Colts.

All teams with talented #1 pick QBs. Browns can't get out of their own waY (hiring a HC soley because the QB likes him), Lions and Colts have physically wore down Stafford and Luck. Waited too long to get the right GM for Luck and now he's retired. Stafford is startiing to break down already.

I don't want this to become a Keim was right about the player, but Keim was the wrong guy to bring him along in the organization.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Crabtree moved showed me there was no real plan for this season.

Right now Keim is just banking on Kyler being incredible/one of those QBs that can overcome poor management and coaching/defense.

Which if we were winning...that would be one thing. However, with Keim running the show...

Well look at the Lions, Browns, and Colts.

All teams with talented #1 pick QBs. Browns can't get out of their own waY (hiring a HC soley because the QB likes him), Lions and Colts have physically wore down Stafford and Luck. Waited too long to get the right GM for Luck and now he's retired. Stafford is startiing to break down already.

I don't want this to become a Keim was right about the player, but Keim was the wrong guy to bring him along in the organization.
This is it

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If Kliff was our OC.... he would be stolen from us to be a HC somewhere by the end of next year. Tops.
And if Kliff was taken from us to become Todd Haley 2.0... well, what's the loss? That's the reality of football. Someone else can have his middle of the pack offense. Better than having a bottom of the pack HC.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have an insanely good 22 year old QB with a good head on his shoulders. You HAVE to make hay with this. We can win a Super Bowl with this kid I'm telling you if we get the right pieces around him...

...and Keim will screw it up. His personal life is a mess and he sucks at his job. If Michael wants to hold that trophy then this is a move he has to make.

No one can argue this point. I’m not nearly as anti-Keim as most guys on this board have become, but I certainly understand. If MB wants to become a better owner, he needs to leverage what he has with KM. In the past, we settled on GM’s, HC’s, and especially with Coordinators. When you have a future star like Murray, you lure the best GM’s that money can buy. A great GM would understand exactly what kind of team this can be with legitimate talent around Murray. Bidwill needs to understand that with Murray, we no longer need to be the readheaded stepchild of the NFL. Michael, now is the time to go for broke. This fan base deserves it. K1 is special & you’ll never have another opportunity like this to make this franchise a World Champion.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No one can argue this point. I’m not nearly as anti-Keim as most guys on this board have become, but I certainly understand. If MB wants to become a better owner, he needs to leverage what he has with KM. In the past, we settled on GM’s, HC’s, and especially with Coordinators. When you have a future star like Murray, you lure the best GM’s that money can buy. A great GM would understand exactly what kind of team this can be with legitimate talent around Murray. Bidwill needs to understand that with Murray, we no longer need to be the readheaded stepchild of the NFL. Michael, now is the time to go for broke. This fan base deserves it. K1 is special & you’ll never have another opportunity like this to make this franchise a World Champion.
Yea but this is the fallout on banking on Kyler. You have to be ALL IN. Not halfway, not one foot, etc. but all in on his development as a QB.

I know you're not a fan of Cam, but I feel like Carolina didn't maximize his talent either. Brought in a GM who proved to be counter to what Cam was good at and needed (they had 1 magical season). So this square peg/round hole system eventually ran its course and wore out Cam.

A GM might have an idea of how to build a winner. They just might not be sure about doing it with a 5'10" QB in a spread offense. Keim can sell that he's all in on Kyler.

If Keim was just better at his job we'd have nothing to worry about. But alas..

Just hope things work out.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Jeff, no pun intended. What do you want me to celebrate?

The same team I invest in, like you, racing to double digit loss in a season when their QB is not the problem? In a parity driven league that is damning evidence of either piss poor roster talent or piss poor coaching. Which one is the problem? You be the judge.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And if Kliff was taken from us to become Todd Haley 2.0... well, what's the loss? That's the reality of football. Someone else can have his middle of the pack offense. Better than having a bottom of the pack HC.
John Harbaugh is a perfect example of the HC being good enough that he'll find the OC. Found one that works for Lamar Jackson.

Also highlighting my last post. They have a GM/HC that are all in and good at what they do. They lose their OC this offseason I feel confident they'll bring in someone else to make it work. Because they have established a winning culture and pedigree.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's just reality that Keim is has a drinking problem and that has and continues to negatively impact both his professional and personal life. The organization can't trust it's future with a guy like that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
First.... I love Todd Haley.

Second...... KK is going to have a top 5 offense in this league. Becoming situationally aware in the NFL may take a bit of time though.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Second...... KK is going to have a top 5 offense in this league. Becoming situationally aware in the NFL may take a bit of time though.
We should’ve hired Mike McCarthy even though he won a SB a decade ago & that was in spite of him.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yea but this is the fallout on banking on Kyler. You have to be ALL IN. Not halfway, not one foot, etc. but all in on his development as a QB.

I know you're not a fan of Cam, but I feel like Carolina didn't maximize his talent either. Brought in a GM who proved to be counter to what Cam was good at and needed (they had 1 magical season). So this square peg/round hole system eventually ran its course and wore out Cam.

A GM might have an idea of how to build a winner. They just might not be sure about doing it with a 5'10" QB in a spread offense. Keim can sell that he's all in on Kyler.

If Keim was just better at his job we'd have nothing to worry about. But alas..

Just hope things work out.

As you said, I was never a big fan of Cam Newton. But, he actually had a better career than I thought he would. That being said, Murray is significantly more talented than Cam ever was. Cam was large, fast, and could run over linebackers. But, he was largely inaccurate, had a very long release, wasn’t cerebral enough to be great, and it was only a matter of time before his body failed him. I’m 100% certain that Kyler could play in any system. His height won’t matter a lick, because he’s gifted in every other aspect of QB play. Today was the first week that I heard multiple announcers say that Murray is a special, special talent. Romo was gushing about him. Little by little, the NFL experts are all getting onboard with Kyler Murray. Bottom line, KK needs KM far more than the reverse. Kingsbury is very young, so I’m still excited to see what he can do. But, could you imagine K1 under the tutelage of someone like Payton of the Saints?

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Haley wasn't a good head coach. Good on him for his short time as our OC, but he did nothing of note with the reigns of a team.

KK is going to have a top 5 offense... when? Is it when draft a new #1 receiver and bury one of the four guys we drafted in the past two years? When we find replacements for both OTs that are not under contract for 2020? A new starting center? If Kenyan Drake re-signs with us and is a special player?

I just don't see it, but maybe.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh I don’t think what he’s done with the team thus far this year would merit that. The cardinals ain’t exactly the buzz of the season. Even offensively.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe misread. End of next year is possible. No one is screaming out “let’s hire that guy who crafted the #14 offense!!!”

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kk needs to show more to be considered a hot commodity any where else in the NFL imo..I still think this was a ploy to get Kyler to declare for the draft..(gut feeling)if so, Im glad it was done though.. don't get me wrong.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh, that’s kind of saying a lot with what our current offensive personnel.
When was the last time a guy with two years in the league and a mid-ranked unit was a hot candidate for head coach, regardless of talent on the team?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is the game that pushed me into the FIRE KEIM camp.

We have been competitive in 10/11 games this year. We have had a legit chance to win 5 additional games this year, and we had a legit chance of blowing 2 of the 3 wins we currently have. But...we are competitive. We are able to play with anyone in the league so far. Win?? Not so much.

We are extremely undisciplined. We are basically the most penalized team in the NFL. Our execution in crunch time is horrid...especially on defense. Without Kyler Murray we are winless this year. With an even below average defense, we are probably 7-4.

I guess my point is that this team is actually a lot closer to being a playoff contender than I thought we would be in year 1. The record looks bad, but we are actually a very competitive team. We are going to have the draft pick, and the FA money to make a huge leap next year. I do not want Keim orchestrating the most important offseason we have had in a long time. We FINALLY have a franchise QB, and now we need to play to his strengths, give him playmakers, and field a defense that can hold a lead, or actually win us a game from time to time.

Based on what KM has shown this year, I think there are GM's that will be "all in" on the KM and KK on the offensive side of the ball. It may not be an old school, long term NFL GM...and thats ok. We may need to get an outside the box thinker, but we CANNOT afford to have complete strike out drafts during KM's rookie deal. We CANNOT spend 65 million dollars in FA and end up with a bunch of scrubs.

I would put a call into Ed Dodds...the top scout for the Colts, or someone like Luis Riddick or Daniel Jeremiah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA