Time to trade David Johnson

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is keep him and keep him benched until he steps up. It sends the message that no matter how much you get paid, the best players play. He may always be the #2, no matter who is 1 and who is 3, but he doesn't play until he produces. He is not happy about it either, you can tell from his face.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
There’s no guarantee we resign Drake will be hard to keep both. We would have to trade valuable draft assists to unload a bad contract at a position that you can find a starter in mid rounds. Will be next to impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's too bad he isn't even a threat in between the tackles anymore...his hands and receiving skills can still be of value. But if he doesn't offer the dual threat his role becomes very limited.. like today showed.

OP
OP
K

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
KK has let it be known with David Johnosn, exactly where he stands (DOGHOUSE), if David wants out of Arizona, he will have to restructure deal, to make himself available to other teams.

DJ passion for game left with his big payday, adios 31.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m done arguing. He should be benched. Never seen a guy fall off the cliff like he had. He looks like he’s running in mud.
I like DJ. Class act.

That said - there's something there that doesn't quite figure. Either he's still injured, is dealing with personal or emotional hurdles (including too much money) or something else we don't know about.

Which all points toward (1) being patient with DJ but not leaving ourselves exposed at RB (i.e. re-sign Drake, keep Edmonds, bring in more talent and pray for DJ).

Treat DJ first class but we gotta do what's best for the team.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like DJ. Class act.

That said - there's something there that doesn't quite figure. Either he's still injured, is dealing with personal or emotional hurdles (including too much money) or something else we don't know about.

Which all points toward (1) being patient with DJ but not leaving ourselves exposed at RB (i.e. re-sign Drake, keep Edmonds, bring in more talent and pray for DJ).

Maybe we need to get him a sports psychologist. Something to reignite what he seems to want to reignite but hasn't been able to. But your point is solid, and we can't just eat that cap space. Only other option is to trade the entire contract if anyone is willing to take it without additional assets. I don't think that's possible barring an epic end of season performance by DJ, which would take him off the trade block anyways.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
How amped is this board going to be when we let Drake Leave as a free agent and draft a RB in the second round?

I know I will be EXTREMELY hinged when it happens.

IMHO, Keim did not trade a pick to let Drake walk. We’re signing him because a RB of his ilk is crucial to this offense and he’ll be fairly affordable. Edmonds is a very talented #2. We may just have to eat DJs contract for one more year. I think the Rams are having the same buyers remorse with Gurley moving forward.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMHO, Keim did not trade a pick to let Drake walk. We’re signing him because a RB of his ilk is crucial to this offense and he’ll be fairly affordable. Edmonds is a very talented #2. We may just have to eat DJs contract for one more year. I think the Rams are having the same buyers remorse with Gurley moving forward.

Just remember, Drake can sign anywhere he chooses so the Cards are not his only option. He is running like he wants a huge payday.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Just remember, Drake can sign anywhere he chooses so the Cards are not his only option. He is running like he wants a huge payday.

No. He is running like an NFL back. And David Johnson is running like a guy who is listening to his wife who wants him to retire. This team is being build around Kyler Murray, who is not taking the losses lightly. David Johnson didn’t get a touch against the Niners. I am sure that Murray had a say in that decision leading up to the game. This team needs a running back who can help the team (and Murray) succeed. Not some vegan who loafs behind the line of scrimmage. Pay Drake

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Cards said they were interested in him for the offseason, but you're dead on. He's not being franchised or transitioned by any stretch of the imagination, because we have a major number on David Johnson, a more likely franchise target in DJ Humphries, and Kenyan can probably get paid a whole bunch more to be the starter somewhere.

Would anyone be shocked to see him get a major paycheck with the Texans? Eagles? Chiefs? Falcons (they have a major out with Freeman this year)?

Barring something wild, he could probably start/play significantly for any of those teams, and have a chance to be a part of a team that is currently competing, with the Falcons as an exception.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. He is running like an NFL back. And David Johnson is running like a guy who is listening to his wife who wants him to retire. This team is being build around Kyler Murray, who is not taking the losses lightly. David Johnson didn’t get a touch against the Niners. I am sure that Murray had a say in that decision leading up to the game. This team needs a running back who can help the team (and Murray) succeed. Not some vegan who loafs behind the line of scrimmage. Pay Drake

You think Murray told Kliff not to play David Johnson and that was good the decision was made? Make sure you stay awake tonight and gave someone monitor you. I think you May be concussed.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Would anyone be shocked to see him get a major paycheck with the Texans? Eagles? Chiefs? Falcons (they have a major out with Freeman this year)?.

All of those teams have a more competent General Manager than Steve Keim and would just draft a back in the first or second round rather than an overpaid has been/never was

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards said they were interested in him for the offseason, but you're dead on. He's not being franchised or transitioned by any stretch of the imagination, because we have a major number on David Johnson, a more likely franchise target in DJ Humphries, and Kenyan can probably get paid a whole bunch more to be the starter somewhere.

Would anyone be shocked to see him get a major paycheck with the Texans? Eagles? Chiefs? Falcons (they have a major out with Freeman this year)?

Barring something wild, he could probably start/play significantly for any of those teams, and have a chance to be a part of a team that is currently competing, with the Falcons as an exception.

That's all I am saying. Too many people around say "Pay Drake" or "Sign him" as if it is a done deal and Drake has no options. His age and production suggest he will have multiple suitors in the off-season. This doesn't mean Drake won't return obviously. It simply means it isn't fait accompli.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Right, pay Drake when we had Edmonds playing decently, and have an RB who would account for $16,000,000 in dead cap if we cut him, $14,000,000 to keep him.

What kind of coin do you want to hand a #2/#3 RB to play for three years? Wouldn't you rather have a good DE/ILB/OLB/OT starter for that money, let Edmonds compete against David Johnson, and maybe draft a kid, where the NFL has currently shown a ton of success in later rounds?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of those teams have a more competent General Manager than Steve Keim and would just draft a back in the first or second round rather than an overpaid has been/never was

You know he is talking about Drake and not DJ right? Jeez man I was just joking about a concussion but...

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You think Murray told Kliff not to play David Johnson and that was good the decision was made? Make sure you stay awake tonight and gave someone monitor you. I think you May be concussed.

The face of the franchise gets a say in the offense with the offensive coach who was selected to pick him number one overall and groom him. Do you think Kyler Murray doesn’t have a say in who plays? David Johnson getting ZERO touches was done in conjunction with Kyler Murray running more. Not just a random event.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There's two guys who might go in the first round, and none of those teams, who are legit contenders to win it all, are going to completely ignore Drake.

We'll have to pay Drake more than we should for a "has been/never was" to keep him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The face of the franchise gets a say in the offense with the offensive coach who was selected to pick him number one overall and groom him. Do you think Kyler Murray doesn’t have a say in who plays? David Johnson getting ZERO touches was done in conjunction with Kyler Murray running more. Not just a random event.
I don't think Kyler Murray has any say in the style of play he wants to use, much less personnel.

Paging @Chris_Sanders for the inside info, if you didn't see it in any other threads.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I like DJ. Class act.

A class act wouldn’t jog horizontally behind the line of scrimmage. That was unacceptable. And that is why he got ZERO touches this week. Completely worthless

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose