Our D

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I suppose niners D is nearly as terrible? They gave up 24 to us lowly Cardinals.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe it's not a talent thing but a coaching thing...keim was supposed to be the ring master here as well. Not saying our talent is top notch though either...

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We probably average 25 points per game and still end up losing

Our offence is good our D is probably the worst in the league

Our offense is 16th in yards per game and 14th in points per game - so mediocre. It only seems like a good offense compared to last year when we were last in the league.

Edit: we are actually 15th in PPG, not 14th.

Last edited:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Realize that we have no WR1, a below-average OLine, one decent RB, & a rookie QB.

I am just stating facts. You can rationalize it however you want to, but the offense is not good, it is average. Combine that with an average D and we are a .500 team, or with a below avg D like we have now and we are closer to a .333 team.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yet still scoring 23-24 points/game. Defense is the problem.
Not only that.. the offense marching down field and punching in a statement touchdown and then the d crapping the bed on the following possession negating any of that positive momentum... those, imo, are game killers...and it actually showed right after that coincidentally enough.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our sucky D held the league leading 9ers rushing attack to 20 yards today, and had several takeaways. There is good with the bad, that teeny minds seeking confirmation bias won't look at. We need a big NT and a rearrangement of our ILB's. One punishing run killer and one nimble one to cover TE's better.

I think our young secondary shows signs of real skills to be honed, with Murphy, Baker, Thompsons and such. Our OLB's are seriously fearsome. We need DL and either an ILB or a SS that can stick to TE's like glue.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our sucky D held the league leading 9ers rushing attack to 20 yards today, and had several takeaways. There is good with the bad, that teeny minds seeking confirmation bias won't look at. We need a big NT and a rearrangement of our ILB's. One punishing run killer and one nimble one to cover TE's better.
Along with a coordinator that can put his guys in the right position to succeed and I'm on board.. also.. confirmation bias on the flip side would be to look at a defense that sold out to stop the run, without their top back nonetheless, while giving up over 400 yards in the air again to Jimmy g..as a success. Imo

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The slant to Wilson for the winning TD reveals several weaknesses:

- The one thing we needed to prevent was a TD - a FG would still give us a fair shot at winning.. The one thing we didn't do was prevent SF from doing was passing for a TD. Was it the scheme? A mental,breakdown? a physical lapse?

- SF got rich on targeting little-used receivers like Wilson, Jusczk, Bourne or the TE's; yet our coverage continued to ignore them.

SF made adjustments to our offense and took away our ability to attack the perimeters. We didn't adjust to their successful offensive plays (especially the short stuff).

Where in lies the responsibility or accountability? The DC?? The secondary coach? K2? Rather than swing from the heels, we should figure out what's broke and then take steps to fix it.

We're not a bad FB team, we just haven't figured out how to win. (Easier said than done).

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Along with a coordinator that can put his guys in the right position to succeed and I'm on board.. also.. confirmation bias on the flip side would be to look at a defense that sold out to stop the run, without their top back nonetheless, while giving up over 400 yards in the air again to Jimmy g..as a success. Imo
Come on man... how are you using "success" in any way, shape, or form, after giving up 400 yards and four TDs to a QB? There is no success or moral victory here.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not only that.. the offense marching down field and punching in a statement touchdown and then the d crapping the bed on the following possession negating any of that positive momentum... those, imo, are game killers...and it actually showed right after that coincidentally enough.

I don't buy that logic that it somehow is significantly affecting how our offense performs on their next series. Then our O scoring should make their O demoralized and so on and so forth. What is demoralizing is when a D is getting beat up and then the offense goes 3 and out and puts them right back in to gas them out and things go from bad to worse. I'm not saying our offense has been putting them in bad situations, just saying it's hard to blame the defense for how the offense executes series to series.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Come on man... how are you using "success" in any way, shape, or form, after giving up 400 yards and four TDs to a QB? There is no success or moral victory here.
Over your head brah.. lol. That was exactly my point. He was stating fans were using confirmation bias to say our d sucks because we only gave up 20 yards rushing... I was merely pointing out his own confirmation bias in the process.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Over your head brah.. lol. That was exactly my point. He was stating fans were using confirmation bias to say our d sucks because we only gave up 20 yards... I was merely pointing out his own confirmation bias in the process.
Ah. My bad. Too much conflict at the moment, haha.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't buy that logic that it somehow is significantly affecting how our offense performs on their next series. Then our O scoring should make their O demoralized and so on and so forth. What is demoralizing is when a D is getting beat up and then the offense goes 3 and out and puts them right back in to gas them out and things go from bad to worse. I'm not saying our offense has been putting them in bad situations, just saying it's hard to blame the defense for how the offense executes series to series.
Strictly a momentum thing.. I believe it exists. Others might not. I get it.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Strictly a momentum thing.. I believe it exists. Others might not. I get it.

I believe in momentum on an individual side of the ball. I also believe in momentum on both sides of the ball when things go south big time on both ends. I'm just saying if for some reason we score and let an opponent score that is football. Our D isn't going to hold anyone to 0. We opened the game up with a 16 to 0 lead. The defense didnt take any wind out of the sails in the statement the offense made to start the game.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe in momentum on an individual side of the ball. I also believe in momentum on both sides of the ball when things go south big time on both ends. I'm just saying if for some reason we score and let an opponent score that is football. Our D isn't going to hold anyone to 0. We opened the game up with a 16 to 0 lead. The defense didnt take any wind out of the sails in the statement the offense made to start the game.
Imo, it was the way the possession went down. We make them grind out that possession after that big touchdown then great...good for them. We essentially let them march down field in swift and orderly fashion to negate the entire last possession we had. Just the way it felt to me..

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
You mean like in the 4th quarter when the D made the pick then the O went 3 out to give it right back to SF.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Career days to most every QB we’ve this season! Jimmy G has had a career day against us TWICE :madarms:

Try these numbers on for size:

329 passing yards per game
29 passing TDs!!! Yes 29!!!
71% completion percentage for the season

And yet we’ve got 5 games to go lol

Vance has to go!!!

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean like in the 4th quarter when the D made the pick then the O went 3 out to give it right back to SF.
Well that kinda negates my theory.. so no, nothing like that. :). It was very much like that.. but mine happened first. :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave