Unfair Rules

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I hate that college rules lack balance. Inside the 5 yard line, for example, the offense jumps offsides it costs them 2.5 yards. The defense gets hit for 5 yards on the same violation. Any number of last minute offensive penalties when the a team has no timeouts results in a 10 second runoff. If the D gets a pass interference call in the end zone the ball goes to the 2 yard line but the offense loses the time. Why not add 10 seconds to their clock?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I hate that college rules lack balance. Inside the 5 yard line, for example, the offense jumps offsides it costs them 2.5 yards. The defense gets hit for 5 yards on the same violation. Any number of last minute offensive penalties when the a team has no timeouts results in a 10 second runoff. If the D gets a pass interference call in the end zone the ball goes to the 2 yard line but the offense loses the time. Why not add 10 seconds to their clock?

I get your point to a degree Harry but how would you penalize the offense any more yardage. If they had to take the entire 5 yards they would be in the end zone. As it is they are getting dangerously close to safety territory when they are inside the 2 yard line. I do like the idea of adding time back on the clock and I think 15 yds is not near enough of a penalty if the PI is 40 yds down the field and it's intentional to stop a potential TD catch.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think if you can walk the yards off you do it.

A 15 yard penalty shouldn't be less because you are at the 20.

Even more, it shortens the yards to gain from what the penalty would normally carry.

These I agree with.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I think if you can walk the yards off you do it.

A 15 yard penalty shouldn't be less because you are at the 20.

Even more, it shortens the yards to gain from what the penalty would normally carry.

I agree. I've always disliked the half the distance rule.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I get your point to a degree Harry but how would you penalize the offense any more yardage. If they had to take the entire 5 yards they would be in the end zone. As it is they are getting dangerously close to safety territory when they are inside the 2 yard line. I do like the idea of adding time back on the clock and I think 15 yds is not near enough of a penalty if the PI is 40 yds down the field and it's intentional to stop a potential TD catch.
I’d say the defense would be penalized the same distance the offense could, so in this example both would be penalized 2.5 yards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like the adding 10 seconds for a defensive infraction. I also like marching off as much of the yardage as possible to the 1 yard line. And if you get a penalty that cant be marked off fully due to field position maybe lose a down. Otherwise what’s the big deal to try and cheat in those scenarios if you’re just losing an inch here or there?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The ones that really bother me are the off setting penalties. An illegal formation penalty is treated equally as a PI penalty. In college 5 yds. vs 15 yds. Why not walk them both off and the resulting difference is where the ball is placed. In the pros it's even worse. 5 yds. vs possibly 30 yds. It just doesn't seen right that a measly 5 penalty offsets a 30 yd penalty and the down is replayed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose