Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking like a really good comment at this point.

Also some real gems throughout this thread. :D

You aren't kidding about that. I went back and read a few posts from the first couple of pages and this was a very divisive move. It wasn't just the money involved either, a lot of people didn't like the idea of signing an older PG whose best years were behind him.

I had been in the Rubio camp for a while. The Jazz made it clear to him that last year would be his last unless he became an All-Star or something and obviously that didn't happen. I wanted to trade for him early in the year but the season was basically lost by December so I'm not sure what good it would have done.

Rubio hasn't been utilized properly over the last few years, IMO. Monty is allowing him to do his thing and it's working quite well, for Ricky and the Suns. In Minnesota he was asked to do too much and then in Utah he ended up having to split ball handling duties with Mitchell and the more Mitchell showed what he could do, the more the ball ended up in his hands.

I was a little worried about Utah 2.0 here with Rubio & Booker but Booker has slid back to SG quite well. I'm a little surprised by how well Booker has moved off the ball since he hasn't really done that for the last 2 years. It's not that he didn't because he was lazy but he didn't have the opportunity since he was relied on so much for the Suns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As much as I think this is a bad value contract, I like reading this. And Rubio will make us better. So will saric. And likely cam will as well. Unfortunately all of them also serve to cap our ceiling for the foreseeable future imo. It’s like the suns front office is shooting for a team that maxes out at 45-48 wins and on again off again 7-8th seeds.
While I was right about the three making us better, and I suppose I could still be proven right about it capping our ceiling, I am going to back off the ceiling comment. I really undersold monty’s impact and the impact of the pieces fitting so well. Although I’m trying to contain my expectations for this season they increase with each week of this team’s play.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm satisfied with this move. I figure I have to view it in context. Phoenix couldn't compete on or off the court with Russell's other major suitors. Rubio will help Ayton develop, and his contract will bridge the gap from Tyler Johnson to a young PG (I don't think Rozier wants that role). If Rubio plays well enough, maybe they don't need that PG right away and can draft BPA.

I’m more than satisfied now. Still glad we don’t have Rozier. Phoenix is probably more attractive to Russell (and everyone else) now, but Rubio is a big part of that. He’s definitely been a floor-raiser, and if the whole year goes like this we will have more flexibility in the draft.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking like a really good comment at this point.

Also some real gems throughout this thread. :D
Oh man. I think I should gold plate my comments from this thread, drop the mic, walk out the door and never post again! Glad to be right about Rubio. I have been wrong about lots of other things.

This is a fact. When things are going well, optimistic posters look brilliant. When things turn sour, pessimistic posters can say "I told you so." When the status quo reigns, but will claim the high ground.

Most of the time it's just a good guess.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You aren't kidding about that. I went back and read a few posts from the first couple of pages and this was a very divisive move. It wasn't just the money involved either, a lot of people didn't like the idea of signing an older PG whose best years were behind him.

I had been in the Rubio camp for a while. The Jazz made it clear to him that last year would be his last unless he became an All-Star or something and obviously that didn't happen. I wanted to trade for him early in the year but the season was basically lost by December so I'm not sure what good it would have done.

Rubio hasn't been utilized properly over the last few years, IMO. Monty is allowing him to do his thing and it's working quite well, for Ricky and the Suns. In Minnesota he was asked to do too much and then in Utah he ended up having to split ball handling duties with Mitchell and the more Mitchell showed what he could do, the more the ball ended up in his hands.

I was a little worried about Utah 2.0 here with Rubio & Booker but Booker has slid back to SG quite well. I'm a little surprised by how well Booker has moved off the ball since he hasn't really done that for the last 2 years. It's not that he didn't because he was lazy but he didn't have the opportunity since he was relied on so much for the Suns.
I had said that point guard skills are pass, shoot, dribble, defend. Rubio does three of the four well. Actually, another aspect of passing is ball protection and he does that very well.

Consider a comparison between Rubio and Nash.

1. Passing. Nash was better than Rubio, but it's fairly close.
2. Defense. Rubio is much better than Nash ever was.
3. Shooting. Nash is one of the most efficient guard shooters in league history. Miles better than Rubio.
4. Handle. They are similar.
5. Ball protection. Rubio is superior.

Ricky is in no danger of being NBA MVP but his strengths make his weaknesses tolerable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a fact. When things are going well, optimistic posters look brilliant. When things turn sour, pessimistic posters can say "I told you so." When the status quo reigns, but will claim the high ground.

Most of the time it's just a good guess.

I'm right far more often than I'm wrong, on just about everything. I believe that's true for a lot of people. But when it comes to being a fan, I'm probably wrong more than right. And that's because as a fan, my opinions are shaped from facts and the offerings of others but they are also colored by hope. Take hope out and I'd be negative far more often which would improve my accuracy rate but it would also take away many of my reasons to be a fan.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm right far more often than I'm wrong, on just about everything. I believe that's true for a lot of people. But when it comes to being a fan, I'm probably wrong more than right. And that's because as a fan, my opinions are shaped from facts and the offerings of others but they are also colored by hope. Take hope out and I'd be negative far more often which would improve my accuracy rate but it would also take away many of my reasons to be a fan.

I'm mostly here for a good time and sharing sports with fans. Being right is overrated. I do like sharing opposing views with fans as long as it can be done politely.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...Booker has slid back to SG quite well. I'm a little surprised by how well Booker has moved off the ball since he hasn't really done that for the last 2 years. It's not that he didn't because he was lazy but he didn't have the opportunity since he was relied on so much for the Suns.

It just seemed so obvious that Booker would never be James Harden.

He is, rather, an outstanding Shooting Guard, potential All Star and
team leader. Who benefits from a skilled Point Guard feeding him.

And is now a good distributor at his position. And, hopefully, a
decent defender, now that he does not have to expend all of his
energy filling both Guard positions at the same time and defending
quicker Point Guards.

I am just glad that he who, of course, knows himself better than
anyone, has had the maturity to be patient. Luckily, for him, the
team and Suns fans, it has worked out.

Devin Booker, I appreciate you as the face of the franchise! And
now we can all enjoy the fruits of his being so mature for a young
player.

:thumbup:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had said that point guard skills are pass, shoot, dribble, defend. Rubio does three of the four well. Actually, another aspect of passing is ball protection and he does that very well.

Consider a comparison between Rubio and Nash.

1. Passing. Nash was better than Rubio, but it's fairly close.
2. Defense. Rubio is much better than Nash ever was.
3. Shooting. Nash is one of the most efficient guard shooters in league history. Miles better than Rubio.
4. Handle. They are similar.
5. Ball protection. Rubio is superior.

Ricky is in no danger of being NBA MVP but his strengths make his weaknesses tolerable.

Nash overachieved in his 2nd stint here and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. Because he overachieved though a lot of people can't handle the Nash/Rubio comparisons. I don't midnNash was better at making those around him better also. Rubio has elevated everyone's game but I'm not sure how much he's done that and a return to SG has helped Booker. Since Ayton isn't playing it's hard to pinpoint who else Rubio has helped because Kelly played really well before he had surgery at the end of last season but I don't think he'd be producing like he has if not for Rubio. He forced a lot last year, and he's done the same this year but not nearly as much.

I think Rubio and Kidd is a better comparison since both are below average shooters but Rubio is a better 3pt shooter than Kidd was in his time here. Both are/were really good rebounders for PG's as well. I'm surprised that Rubio is grabbing as many boards as he has. He was leading the team in rebounds per game as well with 6.3. Saric is #2 with 6.0. That won't last once Ayton returns but Rubio should stay around 5 for the year, I'd think. The best rebounding season he had prior to this was his 4th year in Minnesota with 5.7 a game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It just seemed so obvious that Booker would never be James Harden.

He is, rather, an outstanding Shooting Guard, potential All Star and
team leader. Who benefits from a skilled Point Guard feeding him.

And is now a good distributor at his position. And, hopefully, a
decent defender, now that he does not have to expend all of his
energy filling both Guard positions at the same time and defending
quicker Point Guards.

I am just glad that he who, of course, knows himself better than
anyone, has had the maturity to be patient. Luckily, for him, the
team and Suns fans, it has worked out.

Devin Booker, I appreciate you as the face of the franchise! And
now we can all enjoy the fruits of his being so mature for a young
player.

:thumbup:
I think Harden would benefit--team-wise--transitioning more to how Booker is playing now. Harden is probably the best one-on-one player in the league, but I think it limits his team success somewhat.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I really liked the signing at the time. Good fit next to Book and at a great contract (bottom 3rd $/yr vs other starting PGs). But I never saw this coming (Reminds me of the Doncic discussion). And I don't think the Rubio signing is the reason for the dramatic change.

Think about every player on the team. Which one of them is worse than when they got here? I can't think of one except maybe Bridges (but I'm not even remotely worried as he tries to find his place). Rubio is good but he isn't making everyone THAT much better. I mean why aren't we seeing a huge drop off in Utah since he left?

And Rubio is posting career bests in just about every category. Is Rubio making Rubio better or has he finally found the perfect HC for him?

Monty is the only logical reason for the sudden spike in production from every player on the squad. Rubio was a good signing, signing Monty was the steal of the off season.

All bets are off here. Monty isn't just proving to be good, he's proving to have the golden touch. If anyone knew he could do this, teams would have been fighting each other to land him. (Again, reminds me of Doncic)

(All credit goes to JJ for being an innovator and going against the grain. And... sigh... to Sarver for giving JJ the keys and backing off.)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really liked the signing at the time. Good fit next to Book and at a great contract (bottom 3rd $/yr vs other starting PGs). But I never saw this coming (Reminds me of the Doncic discussion). And I don't think the Rubio signing is the reason for the dramatic change.

Think about every player on the team. Which one of them is worse than when they got here? I can't think of one except maybe Bridges (but I'm not even remotely worried as he tries to find his place). Rubio is good but he isn't making everyone THAT much better. I mean why aren't we seeing a huge drop off in Utah since he left?

And Rubio is posting career bests in just about every category. Is Rubio making Rubio better or has he finally found the perfect HC for him?

Monty is the only logical reason for the sudden spike in production from every player on the squad. Rubio was a good signing, signing Monty was the steal of the off season.

All bets are off here. Monty isn't just proving to be good, he's proving to have the golden touch. If anyone knew he could do this, teams would have been fighting each other to land him. (Again, reminds me of Doncic)

(All credit goes to JJ for being an innovator and going against the grain. And... sigh... to Sarver for giving JJ the keys and backing off.)
I hope we can keep him for 10 years. I am ready for some continuity.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Harden would benefit--team-wise--transitioning more to how Booker is playing now. Harden is probably the best one-on-one player in the league, but I think it limits his team success somewhat.

I'm not a Harden or Houston expert by any means but I'd have to disagree (I think). From what I've seen Harden seems much easier to guard when he doesn't have the ball and almost impossible to defend when he does. Taking the ball out of his hands sounds like it would just make it easier to guard him.

People criticize Harden and Dantoni because that team falls short every year and maybe they deserve it but I've never been impressed with that roster. And the only thing I really liked about that coaching staff was Jeff Bzdelik but for some reason they let him go. Jeff might not have been the greatest Head Coach but he's arguably the best defensive/scouting mind in the game today. But anyway, my point is, I think that team overachieves every season because Harden has the ball so much. Well, because he has the ball and the current ridiculous rules interpretations grant him super powers.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a Harden or Houston expert by any means but I'd have to disagree (I think). From what I've seen Harden seems much easier to guard when he doesn't have the ball and almost impossible to defend when he does. Taking the ball out of his hands sounds like it would just make it easier to guard him.

People criticize Harden and Dantoni because that team falls short every year and maybe they deserve it but I've never been impressed with that roster. And the only thing I really liked about that coaching staff was Jeff Bzdelik but for some reason they let him go. Jeff might not have been the greatest Head Coach but he's arguably the best defensive/scouting mind in the game today. But anyway, my point is, I think that team overachieves every season because Harden has the ball so much. Well, because he has the ball and the current ridiculous rules interpretations grant him super powers.
I think I agree with you about Harden. But what I think is that when the ball is in Harden's hands all the time, it makes his TEAM more beatable for the better teams in the league. Does he get all those same calls in the playoffs?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we can keep him for 10 years. I am ready for some continuity.

I've been complaining about the lack of roster continuity for a few years now but 10 more years of Rubio? Unless the last 4 or 5 years are as a coach, I think I'd pass. He's an old 29 and while there are plenty of exceptions, most PGs really start to slow down in their early 30's.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I agree with you about Harden. But what I think is that when the ball is in Harden's hands all the time, it makes his TEAM more beatable for the better teams in the league. Does he get all those same calls in the playoffs?

Absolutely. Any good team can shut down a one man squad in the playoffs. He does get a lot of the same calls in the postseason but they work him so hard off the ball that he just doesn't have much left in the big games and the big moments.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been complaining about the lack of roster continuity for a few years now but 10 more years of Rubio? Unless the last 4 or 5 years are as a coach, I think I'd pass. He's an old 29 and while there are plenty of exceptions, most PGs really start to slow down in their early 30's.
Not Rubio, Monty.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think he was talking about Monty.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay, that makes more sense. Yes, it would be great to be considered and talked about as a stable organization instead of what we've all lived with for years now.
Right to have Monty become one of those iconic coaches that everyone automatically associates with a good team and PHOENIX. Would be awesome.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right to have Monty become one of those iconic coaches that everyone automatically associates with a good team and PHOENIX. Would be awesome.
Yep. Like Pop in San Antonio, Carlisle in Dallas, Kerr in GS, Spoelstra in Miami, or even Jackson in Chicago or LA. It would just be nice not to be projecting when the coach will be fired.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yep. Like Pop in San Antonio, Carlisle in Dallas, Kerr in GS, Spoelstra in Miami, or even Jackson in Chicago or LA. It would just be nice not to be projecting when the coach will be fired.
And the best part is that Monty is showing that he deserves the accolades he is receiving.

Not just better than any of our previous coaches for decades but, hopefully, as you cited,
one of the league's best.

We desperately needed 'better' vs. 'less worse'. It is nice!

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

And might just allure a star player that we wouldn't have thought possibly to land... AD?... (one can dream).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose