Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If/When Ayton tests positive for weed at some point after this suspension, will that be his first infraction, or his second, as far as the drug policy?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If/When Ayton tests positive for weed at some point after this suspension, will that be his first infraction, or his second, as far as the drug policy?
I believe the two are in different categories. Marijuana has a very specific set of punishments. What we don’t know is whether he has already gotten a warning for it or not. Would be a fine if it was his 2nd offense.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I believe the two are in different categories. Marijuana has a very specific set of punishments. What we don’t know is whether he has already gotten a warning for it or not. Would be a fine if it was his 2nd offense.
This is why this is so confusing him popping hot for a diuretic and the punishment for using a diuretic is baffling. Because it doesent mask PED use. Most likely this is a outdated punishment that hasn’t been revised.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why this is so confusing him popping hot for a diuretic and the punishment for using a diuretic is baffling. Because it doesent mask PED use. Most likely this is a outdated punishment that hasn’t been revised.
This might be why the players union wanted to appeal.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Remember, follow up tests showed no banned substances. Everything beyond the diuretic is speculation

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

they literally revised the punishment this year, I believe.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’m thinking the idea behind such a steep suspension for diuretics is that it suggests that you are trying to cheat the system by hiding using something else. Even if the thing you are trying to hide is only marijuana you are still being deceitful.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m thinking the idea behind such a steep suspension for diuretics is that it suggests that you are trying to cheat the system by hiding using something else. Even if the thing you are trying to hide is only marijuana you are still being deceitful.
Oh yes. I agree that is the reason for the penalty. It just seems antiquated though. If PED's can't be masked with diuretics, and they don't really seem to care that much about marijuana, why have such a severe penalty? There could be such a thing as accidental ingestion of diuretics. It would make more sense to have identical penalties for both. Even then, if hair tests are more accurate, why not just yank a hair and have it tested? Seems to make more sense than peeing in a cup. Who cares if it takes a little more time or costs a little more. The NBA does not benefit from having any of its players on suspension. If the hair test is more definitive, can't be cheated, and cannot produce false positives, it is a no-brainer.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They went over the NBA policy on weed on the radio, and it was so easy or laid back, it was basically four strikes before you even lose time playing. Why would you take diuretics? The first offense is basically, pleaase don't do that again.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, instead of suspending a player 25 games or whatever for the use of a diuretic, the solution is increased random drug tests administered right on the spot so they cannot be altered.

If a player is using it will be clear enough and the applicable penalty can be applied.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
IMO, instead of suspending a player 25 games or whatever for the use of a diuretic, the solution is increased random drug tests administered right on the spot so they cannot be altered.

If a player is using it will be clear enough and the applicable penalty can be applied.
That has to be agreed upon in the cba

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's only my solution to solve this mess.
Sorry I took your post as saying instead of suspension the nba should increase testing. Hence my post saying it’s not solely up to the nba. The union has to agree to it and they’ve never seemed all that keen to adding more random testing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I took your post as saying instead of suspension the nba should increase testing. Hence my post saying it’s not solely up to the nba. The union has to agree to it and they’ve never seemed all that keen to adding more random testing.

These are my thoughts.

In the case of a diluted or diuretic test result, instead of suspending a player for 25 games, increase random drug tests for that player. Anything like this would have to be approved by the CBA for sure.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
they literally revised the punishment this year, I believe.

they may have updated the policy, but like many things it doesent mean they used modern scientific norms.

I’ve been quite active in the powerlifting world for the last seven years or so, where PED use is rampant. I’ve never heard of using diuretics as a masking agent for anabolics or sarms. It can be used to mask EPO use but a basketball player wouldn’t be intrested in that kind of drug as it’s used by cyclist and long distance runners.
I am just baffled why anyone would choose to mask anything by this method as it’s not even really effective. I’m sure this is most likely a error.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they may have updated the policy, but like many things it doesent mean they used modern scientific norms.

I’ve been quite active in the powerlifting world for the last seven years or so, where PED use is rampant. I’ve never heard of using diuretics as a masking agent for anabolics or sarms. It can be used to mask EPO use but a basketball player wouldn’t be intrested in that kind of drug as it’s used by cyclist and long distance runners.
I am just baffled why anyone would choose to mask anything by this method as it’s not even really effective. I’m sure this is most likely a error.

I'm not that familiar with EPO but why do you say it's not something for a basketball player but it would be something a long distance runner or cyclist would use? Is it something that improves stamina? If so, then maybe he did try it. I'm not saying he did but he spoke about working on his stamina this offseason and it was something he struggled with last year. He would come out playing well and then by the 2nd half he'd be gassed. It wasn't just Ayton himself who commented on his stamina either, that's something that's been discussed by numerous analysts and fans. If he were to do a PED then I would bet it was something that could help improve his stamina.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with EPO but why do you say it's not something for a basketball player but it would be something a long distance runner or cyclist would use? Is it something that improves stamina? If so, then maybe he did try it. I'm not saying he did but he spoke about working on his stamina this offseason and it was something he struggled with last year. He would come out playing well and then by the 2nd half he'd be gassed. It wasn't just Ayton himself who commented on his stamina either, that's something that's been discussed by numerous analysts and fans. If he were to do a PED then I would bet it was something that could help improve his stamina.
It’s just not something you see outside those two sports. There are other cheaper options out there for stamina purposes. EPO is pretty hard core and can cost up to 30k for a cycle. Sarms would be the choice for most athletes. EPO is overkill for a basketball player

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious how often Ayton has been with the team for practices. I hope he's attending the majority of home practices. I can't fault him for not traveling with the team but they've been home for a couple of weeks so he should have been a part of most activities. I don't imagine we'll know how often he's been there until things get close to ending, then one of the talking heads will say something about how often he's practiced with the club. Thankfully he's allowed to do so still.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm curious how often Ayton has been with the team for practices. I hope he's attending the majority of home practices. I can't fault him for not traveling with the team but they've been home for a couple of weeks so he should have been a part of most activities. I don't imagine we'll know how often he's been there until things get close to ending, then one of the talking heads will say something about how often he's practiced with the club. Thankfully he's allowed to do so still.
From everything I've seen, he's been practicing AND traveling with the team. He just can't be at the arena 2 hours before tipoff, wherever that arena may be.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This suspension is going to take forever. I am convinced that Ayton was masking which makes what he did selfish. After listening to Woj, he said that the NBA basically doesn't even care about pot. Each player gets about 3 chances before it even goes public and something else happens. So, Ayton trying to mask pot doesn't hold water. The NBAPA didn't rush to reduce his suspension which means they are not convinced it was an accident.

He was masking something else.

Really Sucks...now we have to just wait to see how good this team can really be. We have fallen back down to earth and now basically a .500 team again.

Only 26 days to go!!!

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This suspension is going to take forever. I am convinced that Ayton was masking which makes what he did selfish. After listening to Clayton, he said that the NBA basically doesn't even care about pot. Each player gets about 3 chances before it even goes public and something else happens. So, Ayton trying to mask pot doesn't hold water. The NBAPA didn't rush to reduce his suspension which means they are not convinced it was an accident.

He was masking something else.

Really Sucks...now we have to just wait to see how good this team can really be. We have fallen back down to earth and now basically a .500 team again.

Only 26 days to go!!!

I thought the players association did rush the appeal? Where have you heard otherwise?

And, no, that's not proof that he wasn't trying to mask pot. You're assuming he knew the rules on pot, knew the rules on diuretics and understood the consequences. Maybe you're right but unless you've come across something new, we're still in the dark.

It's also my understanding (and I know very little about this) that had he been taking a PED traces of it would have still shown up during the more involved testing that would have been done on the B sample yet nothing else was found.