OT: Browns terminate Antonio Calloway

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"
Antonio Callaway’s time with the Cleveland Browns has come to an end as the wide receiver was waived on Thursday amid tardiness and a looming suspension, according to reports.

Callaway was a healthy scratch for last weekend’s game against Buffalo for being late to the team’s reporting time for the game. He reportedly was late again this week."

Callaway has told those poised to administer the suspension that it stems from a tainted CBD product. The drug policy is usually very strict, though, about players knowing what they put in their bodies. https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1195094485350408196 …

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

#Browns WR Antonio Callaway is appealing a 10-game suspension for another violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, sources say. That is not the only reason the team waived him, but it is an important factor. He had his hearing in the last week.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Antonio Callaway loses appeal of 10-game suspension

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-callaway-loses-appeal-of-10-game-suspension/

Antonio Callaway lost his job on Thursday and he lost a suspension appeal on Friday.

The Browns cut the wide receiver before they faced the Steelers on Thursday night and word that Callaway was appealing a 10-game suspension for a substance abuse policy violation broke a short time later. Callaway was suspended four games for another violation to open this season and his appeal reportedly centered on a claim that he took a tainted CBD product.

That argument failed. According to multiple reports, Callaway learned on Friday morning that he lost the appeal and the ban will be put in place.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tainted ..yea and as every buddy who gets busted with drugs...'they're not mine'

He took a bunch of CBD after a game and on the flight home he had seizures and passed out

He's got a long history of self destruction....and this is just another one

If he's anything like Josh Gordon he can do it 9 more times and no one will care.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Browns not having a very good week, even with last night's win.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Ridiculous that the league even tests for marijuana when it’s legal in many states that their teams operate in.

A 10 game suspension for smoking a joint is a freaking joke.
It's also legal to drink, but show up to work drunk and see what happens...unless you are employed by the Cardinals, you're probably out of a job.

Also, a 10 game suspension indicates it's not his 1st offense.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's also legal to drink, but show up to work drunk and see what happens...unless you are employed by the Cardinals, you're probably out of a job.

I’m sure it’s not his first, but is there any evidence he showed up to work high?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ridiculous that the league even tests for marijuana when it’s legal in many states that their teams operate in.

A 10 game suspension for smoking a joint is a freaking joke.
What's ridiculous is:
  • Wanting to live a certain lifestyle.
  • Choosing a career that bans that lifestyle.
  • Agreeing to abide by the rules of that career.
  • Breaking the rule so you can continue the lifestyle anyways.
  • Apologize for breaking the rule.
  • Your job trusting and keeping you despite that infraction
  • Then breaking the rule again. Knowingly or by a lack of inspection
  • And finally...... then blaming your workplace for having the rule in the first place.

#InsertYourMillenialJokeHere

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What's ridiculous is:
  • Wanting to live a certain lifestyle.
  • Choosing a career that bans that lifestyle.
  • Agreeing to abide by the rules of that career.
  • Breaking the rule so you can continue the lifestyle anyways.
  • Apologize for breaking the rule.
  • Your job trusting and keeping you despite that infraction
  • Then breaking the rule again. Knowingly or by a lack of inspection
  • And finally...... then blaming your workplace for having the rule in the first place.

#InsertYourMillenialJokeHere
OK boomer

:D

But yeah, let’s just never question our corporate/government overlords and the rules they set because of course they always have our best interests in mind.:help:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
OK boomer

:D

But yeah, let’s just never question our corporate/government overlords and the rules they set because of course they always have our best interests in mind.:help:
Ha! Gen X.

And personally.... I'm fine with weed even though I have never tried it.

I'm also all for questioning authority. I just don't think that's not what is going on here though. I'm calling a spade a spade.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he's one of those 4th round draft choices teams take a flyer on even though he he was a total fug up @ Florida pre draft. he can run fast, can't catch and has little if any self discipline.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Everyone is right. It’s a stupid rule considering these guys get handed narcotics painkillers like candy and get injured body parts shot up on Sunday to they can do their job. Maybe an alternate approach might help when you have guys blowing their brains out and basically crippled in their 50’s... BUT at the end of the day follow the damn rules.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This guy was known for constantly hanging out with a bad group in college. I take it things aren’t much better now. It’s a strong pass from me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone is right. It’s a stupid rule considering these guys get handed narcotics painkillers like candy and get injured body parts shot up on Sunday to they can do their job. Maybe an alternate approach might help when you have guys blowing their brains out and basically crippled in their 50’s... BUT at the end of the day follow the damn rules.

Yeah, that is my take too. It is absurd that the NFL tests for it, meanwhile the league gets all these dudes hooked on opioids.

However... you're getting payed millions of dollars, one of the few rules the NFL actually enforces is "don't smoke weed", or at least avoid getting caught, it shouldn't be that hard.