Hawks @ Suns Thursday game thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That +7% improvement is 5-7 points per game if you are taking between 25-35 3-pointers. Just one of the reasons for our point differential improvement.
Hardest schedule of n the league so far too.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
On 7 of 18 shooting and 1 of 6 from 3. But yeah, the assists were nice.
The assist total is maybe a little skewed as it was their game plan to force him to beat them with his passing instead of his scoring. Looks like it worked out quite well in the end.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Once the Hawks surround him with decent 3 point shooters, teams will have to go back to the drawing board.

Kind of like the way the Mavs tried to defend Nash in the 05 playoffs. Pick your poison .

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I hope Leroy Jevon Carter gets back in the rotation and finds his offence. We had even better defence when he was in there, but Tyler Johnson has been good.

We have so many contributors now. Besides Booker and Oubre any one of Baynes, Rubio, Saric, Kaminsky, Bridges, Johnson & Johnson can get hot, so as long as we keep playing with poise and work hard on defence this great start should be the norm this season.

Wowsers!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good game last night. Oubre with the team high but missed quite a few 3 pointers. Solid effort all the way around. I dont' like the long breaks in between games, good for Ayton to be having practices with the team but he should be playing anyway if it weren't for the suspension. Attack the suns inside is what the game plan is. Saric and Kaminsky are big guys but no hops, same could be said for Baynes a bit too.

We're tough to defend when guys like Saric and Frank are hitting their shots, so much focus on Booker and limiting Rubio's penetration. They played Baynes a little tighter than usual but his foul troubles kept him from getting a rhythm in the game. I'm not liking Booker picking up early and cheap fouls, something that has carried on from last season. He's been getting 2 fouls in the 1st more it seems, or even 3 by halftime.

Cam is coming around, I'm sure there's still a bit of adjustment to the speed of the game and the physicality. Bridges is still trying to find his role on the team it seems, last season he was one of the top guys, but this team is a lot deeper this year. Another month until Ayton comes back then teams will have to readjust their scouting report, it only adds another weapon to our roster. So much easier to this year to watch games and say, hey they got this win.

RockinDaMike

Veteran
Reaction score
It's funny, I felt like a lot of shots were missed but we still scored under a 130 points. We'll break 150 against the rockets.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Feel zzz before gm finished awesome to wake up see suns scored 128 and won!

Glad to see obure ball after disappointing lakers gm

Booker played well as usual he better be a all star this yr

Gj suns

Next up that stupid leprechaun team :)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Hardest schedule of n the league so far too.

Actually it is 5th hardest according to BB Reference

But they do rank us as the 5th best team in the league currently.

Either way, you have to be DAMN IMPRESSED!!! Top 5 in many offensive team rankings and Booker is playing out of his mind.

Man I cant wait for Ayton to be back. I want to see the full potential of this team.

Me too...... I haven't been this excited in a long time.

My only worry is regression...... We have shot lights out for the most part. When that changes, does our defense respond. We will all find out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern is can Baynes hold up to the continual pounding anchoring the Suns inside. He seemed mortal last night. I can hardly wait for the return of Ayton.

I wish the Suns had backup depth at center like the Hawks behind John Collins (Damian Jones, Alex Len). The Hawks have a lot of big bodies period. If Tyler Johnson hadn't been playing good defense limiting Trae Young, it could have been a different story. Trae reminds me of Stephen Curry a bit in that no lead is safe.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
My biggest concern is can Baynes hold up to the continual pounding anchoring the Suns inside. He seemed mortal last night. I can hardly wait for the return of Ayton.

I wish the Suns had backup depth at center like the Hawks behind John Collins (Damian Jones, Alex Len). The Hawks have a lot of big bodies period. If Tyler Johnson hadn't been playing good defense limiting Trae Young, it could have been a different story. Trae reminds me of Stephen Curry a bit in that no lead is safe.

Ayton should help anchor the inside when he returns. There should be only scant occurences where neither him nor Baynes are on the floor. Frank has the size but not the strength to be a reliable inside defender.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ayton should help anchor the inside when he returns. There should be only scant occurences where neither him nor Baynes are on the floor. Frank has the size but not the strength to be a reliable inside defender.
this is where the conundrum continues.

Baynes may be a better, more consistent low-post defender. But he certainly seems to be a better 3pt shooter as well.

How will Ayton's presence affect our offensive spacing, and point output. No one really knows for sure yet.

I do think Baynes will help balance the 2nd unit more than it has been lately. He can bring more calm to that unit.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is where the conundrum continues.

Baynes may be a better, more consistent low-post defender. But he certainly seems to be a better 3pt shooter as well.

How will Ayton's presence affect our offensive spacing, and point output. No one really knows for sure yet.

I do think Baynes will help balance the 2nd unit more than it has been lately. He can bring more calm to that unit.

He probably is but he's too slow to guard a lot of the big men that Ayton can match up well with, even down low. And is it just me or has he looked even slower the last 2 games? I wonder if it's tired legs or maybe a minor injury?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I love Baynes, but Ayton just gives you a completely different look. Again, I love Baynes, but he is not particularly tall or long, and he is slow. There is a reason that the Suns have been getting killed in the paint the last couple of games. Teams are starting to figure out their weakness. With Ayton, you have a lot more options.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He probably is but he's too slow to guard a lot of the big men that Ayton can match up well with, even down low. And is it just me or has he looked even slower the last 2 games? I wonder if it's tired legs or maybe a minor injury?

Certainly yesterday. I can't speak for the Lakers game.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I love Baynes, but Ayton just gives you a completely different look. Again, I love Baynes, but he is slow, not particularly tall or long, and he is slow. There is a reason that the Suns have been getting killed in the paint the last couple of games. Teams are starting to figure out their weakness. With Ayton, you have a lot more options.

It doesn't help that we are seriously lacking strength and athleticism at power forward.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure about the Lakers game but Baynes definitely seemed off against the Hawks. However, something might have happened in the Lakers game that I don't recall. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Baynes is not trying to play through an injury.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Lakers game but Baynes definitely seemed off against the Hawks. However, something might have happened in the Lakers game that I don't recall. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Baynes is not trying to play through an injury.

he came down crashing hard on his hip in the Lakers game towards the end. might be dealing with something there.

man, I REALLY REALLY REALLY can't wait to see what this team is like with not just another big joining the team with Ayton, but a big who should be a major difference maker as well.