Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There he goes again. Trying to equate himself to real NBA people.

The triangle, circle or line always ends with Sarver no much how we might not like it. Hopefully there is a learning curve but he reportedly was involved in drafting Bridges over Shai via trade in the 2018 draft.

There is a part of me that thinks Sarver was instrumental in drafting Ayton as well not that was a bad thing. I think almost everyone had Ayton going #1.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/12/1...raft-night-trade-for-shai-gilgeous-alexander/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The triangle, circle or line always ends with Sarver no much how we might not like it. Hopefully there is a learning curve but he reportedly was involved in drafting Bridges over Shai via trade in the 2018 draft.

There is a part of me that thinks Sarver was instrumental in drafting Ayton as well not that was a bad thing. I think almost everyone had Ayton going #1.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/12/1...raft-night-trade-for-shai-gilgeous-alexander/

I've seen so many theories and so many "reportedly's" about that draft and the subsequent firing including a Clippers source that insisted they turned down the offer, not the Suns. Without any real evidence, I think I lean towards the Doncic factor. Sarver pushed for him for the obvious financial benefit in addition to his actual game but Ryan and company convinced him that Ayton was the clear top pick in that class. When Sarver looked at how this team was shaping up and listened to the early reports on Luka, he'd had enough.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen so many theories and so many "reportedly's" about that draft and the subsequent firing including a Clippers source that insisted they turned down the offer, not the Suns. Without any real evidence, I think I lean towards the Doncic factor. Sarver pushed for him for the obvious financial benefit in addition to his actual game but Ryan and company convinced him that Ayton was the clear top pick in that class. When Sarver looked at how this team was shaping up and listened to the early reports on Luka, he'd had enough.

I guess I look it, if Sarver nixed the trade for Shai, it's not a reach to think he pushed to draft Ayton who attended his Alma Mater, University of Arizona.... or however they are referred to these days.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I look it, if Sarver nixed the trade for Shai, it's not a reach to think he pushed to draft Ayton who attended his Alma Mater, University of Arizona.... or however they are referred to these days.

It's quite possible but I do know, among my circle of off-line sports friends (all ASU alums), that I was the only one that wasn't wowed by Ayton's game. I eventually came around (partly by lowering my expectations of him) but I don't think it's a coincidence that I was the only one of my group to also have Wildcat ties. His highlights were wonderful but the more I watched whole games of him, the less impressed I became.

My concern with Ayton had to do with the gap between his incredible physical gifts (generational) and his actual impact on the game (positive but not always dominant). I have to believe it's mental (or emotional) because it seemed like he could dominate almost at will. But all too often, even in games where he was racking up great stats, he'd disappear for long stretches.

His final box score always looked impressive but the occasional disappearances worried me not to mention the inconsistencies from game to game. For example, one day he'd have the greatest hands in college ball, the next day you'd see him fumble routine passes and rebounds. All that said, I'd still draft him number 1. He might not reach his ceiling but even at his floor he's quite serviceable. Hopefully his time away from the game will help improve his focus and determination.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's quite possible but I do know, among my circle of off-line sports friends (all ASU alums), that I was the only one that wasn't wowed by Ayton's game. I eventually came around (partly by lowering my expectations of him) but I don't think it's a coincidence that I was the only one of my group to also have Wildcat ties. His highlights were wonderful but the more I watched whole games of him, the less impressed I became.

My concern with Ayton had to do with the gap between his incredible physical gifts (generational) and his actual impact on the game (positive but not always dominant). I have to believe it's mental (or emotional) because it seemed like he could dominate almost at will. But all too often, even in games where he was racking up great stats, he'd disappear for long stretches.

His final box score always looked impressive but the occasional disappearances worried me not to mention the inconsistencies from game to game. For example, one day he'd have the greatest hands in college ball, the next day you'd see him fumble routine passes and rebounds. All that said, I'd still draft him number 1. He might not reach his ceiling but even at his floor he's quite serviceable. Hopefully his time away from the game will help improve his focus and determination.

I am another one of those ASU alums that wanted the Suns to draft Ayton. :p

As I viewed it, the worse case scenario for Ayton was being a a tall athletic center. I worried about Trae's build (not his talent) and Doncic was fabulous in Europe but I wasn't sure how much that would translate to the NBA. I guess I thought if the Suns were going to miss... miss on a talented young center.

Interestingly enough, Collin Sexton looks like he maybe the real deal for Cleveland.

How cool would it have been to get Ayton (or name choice) and Shai out of the same draft.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wanted Ayton, and honestly, I'd probably still pick him at #1. As time goes by, I am questioning myself on that more and more, but at this point, I'd still take him at #1.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted Ayton, and honestly, I'd probably still pick him at #1. As time goes by, I am questioning myself on that more and more, but at this point, I'd still take him at #1.

I admit I would draft Doncic now, not that I would necessarily be right. If Ayton gets back on track he can fulfill expectations.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Biggest thing for me was the fact that they already had Booker. While I realize Doncic and Booker are somewhat different, they are also similar in many ways. Booker and Ayton made more sense to me than Booker and Doncic. Had the Suns had AD instead of Booker, then Doncic would make more sense. It's also important to remember that Ayton is a big man, and they take longer to develop. As frustrated as I get with Ayton at times, he had an amazing rookie season considering his age.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am another one of those ASU alums that wanted the Suns to draft Ayton. :p

As I viewed it, the worse case scenario for Ayton was being a a tall athletic center. I worried about Trae's build (not his talent) and Doncic was fabulous in Europe but I wasn't sure how much that would translate to the NBA. I guess I thought if the Suns were going to miss... miss on a talented young center.

Interestingly enough, Collin Sexton looks like he maybe the real deal for Cleveland.

How cool would it have been to get Ayton (or name choice) and Shai out of the same draft.

I wanted Trae and I never doubted that he'd become a star. I worried about his defense but in this era I figured great offensive weapon outweighs poor perimeter defender. Now, given how we're playing, I'm glad we didn't go that route. But I'm still not sold on Sexton (as a point guard). If you can pair him with another combo guard, one that is a better and more willing passer, he could have a Bledsoe-like career. Actually, given that he doesn't have Bledsoe's knee issues, he should have an even better career but he needs a floor leader/distributor next to him IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Biggest thing for me was the fact that they already had Booker. While I realize Doncic and Booker are somewhat different, they are also similar in many ways. Booker and Ayton made more sense to me than Booker and Doncic. Had the Suns had AD instead of Booker, then Doncic would make more sense. It's also important to remember that Ayton is a big man, and they take longer to develop. As frustrated as I get with Ayton at times, he had an amazing rookie season considering his age.
I always saw them as a 1a and 1b in this draft, but felt Ayton was the better fit.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He is the owner, after all. He has been an owner for more than a decade. He is a real NBA person. Like it or not.
JC, when the investor tries to equate himself to the General Manager and Head Coach,
especially when he finally stepped back, I can smell trouble coming. Enough of his ego!

Did he repent from trying to pass himself off as a basketball expert in choosing and
managing the players . . . or has he just been lying low?

The investor is not part of that triangle. The GM and Coach is, and should be, a duo.

Robert Sarver is not a "real NBA person" when it comes to choosing and leading the
team. He is a banker.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Time will tell if Ayton, whom I was happy to see as our #1 choice, puts up stats or truly becomes a difference maker in the outcome of games.

I've equated him so far to Brittney Griner the Mercury Center. She clearly puts up stats, but has not been a difference maker on her team.

Diana Taurasi, of course, is the leader. But DeWanna Bonner has made more of a difference in every game I've watched than Griner. It is what it is.

I'm hoping that DeAndre has the disposition to step up. It is not a given.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns next 10 games.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks beat Mavericks tonight. It looks like the Knicks bench beat the Mavericks bench.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns next 10 games.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think we go at worst 6-4. Hopefully 8-2 with only losses to Boston and Denver :). Although, I have a feeling we might beat Boston. They’re due for a loss!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks beat Mavericks tonight. It looks like the Knicks bench beat the Mavericks bench.

I saw a stat a few days ago on RGM I believe that showed the Mavs were a plus 27 points this season when Doncic and Porzingis are off the floor. I don't watch the Mavs enough to know what that means but from what little I've seen KP is killing their offense right now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we go at worst 6-4. Hopefully 8-2 with only losses to Boston and Denver :). Although, I have a feeling we might beat Boston. They’re due for a loss!
I see three losses in that stretch.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I saw a stat a few days ago on RGM I believe that showed the Mavs were a plus 27 points this season when Doncic and Porzingis are off the floor. I don't watch the Mavs enough to know what that means but from what little I've seen KP is killing their offense right now.

He is killing them, but more importantly, they don't have any reliable, consistent three-point shooters. Curry is probably the most consistent one, followed by Kleber, but as a team, they are really streaky. Hardaway is just awful- terrible shot selection.
Another issue is that there is no consistency in their rotations. You never know who is going to start, who is going to play, when and how much anyone is going to play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think we beat Boston, lose at Sacramento in a letdown game, beat New Orleans at home, lose our first back to back games at Minnesota and Denver, and then win 5 in a row.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose