Is this even possible?

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know that trades in the NFL are much different than other leagues and I don't pretend to understand what can and can not happen. I am curious though if there is the possibility to trade multiple players in order to create some additional salary cap space.

With David Johnson being discussed as a player the Cards would like to get out from under and Patrick Peterson seeming to have lost a step, could we trade both players to a team like Tampa Bay? They have tons of salary cap space and the coaches that are familiar with the players and how to use them.

Again, I am not sure if this is possible and if their is even a benefit to doing so but the idea of it sounds appealing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure. The Texans traded Brock Osweiler and a 2nd(?) to the Browns to get his cap number off their books. Denver traded retired Jake Plummer to Tampa (with cash?) because it somehow gave one of the teams cap relief.

In general, the league won’t step in and ascertain the comparative value of a trade.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The issue is guaranteed money vs. salary. For the purpose of David Johnson, his cap hit is actually $16 million for the prorated terms of his contract next year. So cutting him would cost the full $16 million, and trading him would cost $6 million as his salary would counter the full cost of the cap hit from the combined signing bonus, if that makes sense.

Spotrac is a great place to look at the numbers. The complexities of dead cap aren’t very easy to the normal fan. My buddy is an agent for one of the NFL’s most prominent players, and I’m amazed, since he can barely calculate the tip at dinner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose