Kyler Murray vs Russell Wilson

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compare these two guys through their first 10 games in the NFL as KM’s comp going into the draft was Wilson...

Russell Wilson: 62% completion; 1,827 YDS; 15 TDs/8 INTs; 93.01 Rating

Kyler Murray: 63.9% completion; 2,553 YDS; 12 TDs/5 INTs; 90.2 Rating

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to compare these two guys through their first 10 games in the NFL as KM’s comp going into the draft was Wilson...

Kyler Murray: 63.9% completion; 2,553 YDS; 12 TDs/8 INTs; 90.2 Rating

And Wilson had a great RB and great defense.....Murray doesn't have 8 interceptions though...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can we not with this comparison yet, please?

wilson right off the bat was showing the end of game "clutchness" that really helped push a 7-9 team to a 11-5 and won a playoff game and was within 31 seconds of taking that team to the NFC Title Game throwing for 385 yard 2TD/1 pick while rushing for 60 yards and a TD performance on the road against the 1 seed Falcons where he led them on a last minute drive to take a 28-27 lead with 31 seconds to go. And yes, as noted he had a very good defense and running back with him, but Wilson was the steady hand at QB that elevated a mediocre team previous to him getting there into one of the league's elite immediately.

Kyler has shown a little of that end game clutchness (Detroit, Cincy, Atlanta), but also shown he can be in meltdown mode as well in the Baltimore, Carolina and last week's head-scratching two-minute drill slog. I just need to see more of that and at least a little more effect on the W/L column before we go mentioning these guys in the same breath.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score

wilson right off the bat was showing the end of game "clutchness" that really helped push a 7-9 team to a 11-5 and won a playoff game and was within 31 seconds of taking that team to the NFC Title Game throwing for 385 yard 2TD/1 pick while rushing for 60 yards and a TD performance on the road against the 1 seed Falcons where he led them on a last minute drive to take a 28-27 lead with 31 seconds to go. And yes, as noted he had a very good defense and running back with him, but Wilson was the steady hand at QB that elevated a mediocre team previous to him getting there into one of the league's elite immediately.

Kyler has shown a little of that end game clutchness (Detroit, Cincy, Atlanta), but also shown he can be in meltdown mode as well in the Baltimore, Carolina and last week's head-scratching two-minute drill slog. I just need to see more of that and at least a little more effect on the W/L column before we go mentioning these guys in the same breath.
Seahawks had the number 1 defense in the nfl that year and a top flight running back.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score

Lol, you say let's not compare them and then you compare them. Not sure what's wrong with comparing them at this point. We're 10 games in. These two were being compared to each other before the draft. It's interesting to see how they match up after a decent sample size.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

no, we can and we will continue with this comparison because it is apt.

Wilson was the steady hand that elevated his mediocre team? He had 8 INTS and 5 fumbles through his first 10 games.... Statistically, Kyler had the steadier hands/decision making through the first 10 games of their careers.... You're greatly downplaying how strong the rest of Wilsons team was his rookie year...

AZ Cardinals are years from being a playoff team, we're not knocking on the NFC championship door in Kylers first year...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seahawks had the number 1 defense in the nfl that year and a top flight running back.

I noted that but since you apparently ignored that in my previous post, I'll say it again.

they had a very good D and that same top flight running back the year previous to Wilson and only went 7-9. The steady hand and clutch ability down the stretch with their rookie QB is what elevated that team even higher to 11-5, won a road playoff games and came within 30 seconds of the NFC Title Game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, you say let's not compare them and then you compare them. Not sure what's wrong with comparing them at this point. We're 10 games in. These two were being compared to each other before the draft. It's interesting to see how they match up after a decent sample size.

okay.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, we can and we will continue with this comparison because it is apt.

Wilson was the steady hand that elevated his mediocre team? He had 8 INTS and 5 fumbles through his first 10 games.... Statistically, Kyler had the steadier hands/decision making through the first 10 games of their careers.... You're greatly downplaying how strong the rest of Wilsons team was his rookie year...

AZ Cardinals are years from being a playoff team, we're not knocking on the NFC championship door in Kylers first year...

I hope you're right, but by season's end, if we're staring at a 4-11-1 record and Kyler's impact on the wins and losses was a whopping 1.5 games and all those came against the most atrocious teams in the league, that won't speak well to the comparison, IMO.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but by season's end, if we're staring at a 4-11-1 record and Kyler's impact on the wins and losses was a whopping 1.5 games and all those came against the most atrocious teams in the league, that won't speak well to the comparison, IMO.

so Wilson had 13 turnovers to Kylers 5.... sounds like Kyler would've elevated that Seahawks team even more so than Wilson...

Not sure how you're saying Wilson had the steadier hand through their first 10.... its just simply not true. Murray is a better rookie than Wilson - lets see if he can develop as well as Russ because we all know #3 in blue is a professional among professionals. We should be excited if he developed even 75% as much as Wilson.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
When it's all said and done, K1 will eclipse anything ever accomplished by RW. Mark it down!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it's all said and done, K1 will eclipse anything ever accomplished by RW. Mark it down!

Bold. I am a KM fan, but even this seems excessive at this point. Consider the other side of the ball and how poor we are on defense.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Jesus everyone marking this kid down as one of the best QBs in the league is mind numbing. You know who kyler has better stats than through the first 10 games is Brady, mine as well say he’s gonna win 5 rings. Can we wait for this kid to win more games than Drew Stanton in a season before we crown him. Kid is going to be pretty good these comparisons only hurt him if he doesn’t live up to be a playoff QB in 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus everyone marking this kid down as one of the best QBs in the league is mind numbing. You know who kyler has better stats than through the first 10 games is Brady, mine as well say he’s gonna win 5 rings. Can we wait for this kid to win more games than Drew Stanton in a season before we crown him. Kid is going to be pretty good these comparisons only hurt him if he doesn’t live up to be a playoff QB in 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says the guy comparing our franchise QB to Drew freaking Stanton. :rolleyes:

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The things Kyler is doing while considering what a mess this team is, especially defense, OL, lack of WR and RB talent coming in with only 1 yr college experience... amazing IMHO. Easy to forget all those factors and take it for granted though

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Kyler Murray: 63.9% completion; 2,553 YDS; 12 TDs/5 INTs; 90.2 Rating[/QUO
:shock::thud:

swagron

All Star
Reaction score

Kyler Murray: 63.9% completion; 2,553 YDS; 12 TDs/5 INTs; 90.2 Rating

You forgot the most important stat. Wins and losses. Murray is nowhere close to the level of Russell Wilson. Silly stat comparison.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose