Lakers @ Suns Tuesday game thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cam looks promising to me, certainly more poised than most of our recent rookies. It’s fine to have preferred another player, but it’s not necessary to talk Cam down to make that case. No one is saying he’s the steal of the draft and most think he would have been available later. But if Monty wanted him, I’ll put a premium on that for the moment based on how coach has this team playing compared to last year.
He played almost twice the minutes than did oubre it bridges individually. I thought it interesting. Says bad things for bridges development imo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What are you basing your slow shooting motion assertion on? He has no hitch, no extended gather. Looks textbook to me.

He has an extremely extended gather. His quick release once he finally does gather is the only reason he can get his shot off at all.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's also the fact that the Lakers just have a lot of big bodies. They have the biggest PF in the game, two of the biggest Cs in the game, and a huge SF. Suns had one average-sized C, two average-sized PFs (if not slightly undersized). With Ayton, Suns have enough size. Without him, they don't.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We have enough big bodies, its just that AD is special. There is no one in the league who can stop him right now and there are only a few who can slow him down. Ayton is one of them. Ayton struggles with switching defense, but when he is assigned to a star player and told just stay on him, he can do very well. Ayton would have made a huge difference in that role last night.

So I guess I am agreeing with you, kinda.
Oubre was guarding Lebron all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He has an extremely extended gather. His quick release once he finally does gather is the only reason he can get his shot off at all.

No, he does not. It's pretty much textbook. If anything, it is abbreviated, quick. I'm not sure what you're looking at.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also the fact that the Lakers just have a lot of big bodies. They have the biggest PF in the game, two of the biggest Cs in the game, and a huge SF. Suns had one average-sized C, two average-sized PFs (if not slightly undersized). With Ayton, Suns have enough size. Without him, they don't.

I agree but I would say that with Ayton, Suns MIGHT have enough size.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said his natural shooting motion was too slow to get his shot off, and that he was rushing his shot to compensate, resulting in inconsistency. Someone else on this board observed the same thing last night with the comment about him shooting while on the move rather than setting his feet.

Lol, he’s making 40% of his threes and there is nothing slow about his shooting motion in any scenario.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol, he’s making 40% of his threes and there is nothing slow about his shooting motion in any scenario.
Yep. Very few rookies shoot like that. He not only has a quick release, he is a master at having his body in position to shoot before he receives the pass. This is like complaining about Shaq's strength or LeBron's bball IQ.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's comments like this, that are so completely wrong, that really makes me question why I don't just block you as well.

There are things you can complain about with Cam - getting his shot off slowly is not one of them.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Cam played really well and I am coming around to the draft pick but yes Brandon Clarke was the right pick at the time.

However, for this team once Ayton is back Cam may be more important for spacing

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought Cam played really well and I am coming around to the draft pick but yes Brandon Clarke was the right pick at the time.

However, for this team once Ayton is back Cam may be more important for spacing

Only if he can shoot more consistently than being on fire for 2 games and being unable to hit the broad side of a barn for 6...and even then, we still need an athletic power forward who can rebound, defend and rim protect.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's comments like this, that are so completely wrong, that really makes me question why I don't just block you as well.

There are things you can complain about with Cam - getting his shot off slowly is not one of them.

Take a look at the highlights posted on the last page. As I said before, yes he has a very quick release once he gets the ball up, and that is the reason he is able to get the shot off even after he has let opponents completely close out on him. Take a look at his entire shooting motion, though. He routinely gathers the ball below his waist first and then goes into his shooting motion culminating with his quick release. That is what I mean by an extremely extended gather.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very fortunate to get to go to this game on the new company tickets. They are PHENOMENAL seats. 1st row of Club Annexus right behind the reporters so clean unobstructed view of the court.

Even though they are in my name I think they will be such a hot ticket within the company I may not get another shot at going

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if he can shoot more consistently than being on fire for 2 games and being unable to hit the broad side of a barn for 6...and even then, we still need an athletic power forward who can rebound, defend and rim protect.

Pure nonsense. He hasn't been lights out but the idea that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for 6 games is absolute BS. So far he's shot 1-3, 1-3, 5-6, 2-7, 1-3, 2-5, 6-10 and 3-9 from the floor. And if you're just talking about his 3 point shooting, he's gone 1-3, 1-3, 2-3, 1-5, 0-1, 1-2, 3-5 and 3-8. I suggest you start making up better facts.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pure nonsense. He hasn't been lights out but the idea that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for 6 games is absolute BS. So far he's shot 1-3, 1-3, 5-6, 2-7, 1-3, 2-5, 6-10 and 3-9 from the floor. And if you're just talking about his 3 point shooting, he's gone 1-3, 1-3, 2-3, 1-5, 0-1, 1-2, 3-5 and 3-8. I suggest you start making up better facts.

Let's take these numbers:

FG%:

1-3 / 33.3% / Awful
1-3 / 33.3% / Awful
5-6 / 83.3% / On Fire
2-7 / 28.6% / Awful
1-3 / 33.3% / Awful
2-5 / 40% / Mediocre
6-10 / 60% / On Fire
3-9 / 33.3% / Awful

3 Point FG %:

1-3 / 33% / Poor
1-3 / 33% / Poor
2-3 / 66.7% / On Fire
1-5 / 20% / Awful
0-1 / 0% / Awful
1-2 / 50% / Excellent
3-5 / 60% / On Fire
3-8 / 37.5% / Average

What am I missing here?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough played hard gm sucks to make all those 3s and not win...

Some winnable games coming up need to beat the hawks before celtics will be hard though... but then pelicans and Timberwolves need to win those as well

In regard to the Hawks, they beat the Nuggets yesterday on their home court with Trae Young going crazy for 42 points and 11 assists.

Suns need to take this game seriously.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yep. Very few rookies shoot like that. He not only has a quick release, he is a master at having his body in position to shoot before he receives the pass. This is like complaining about Shaq's strength or LeBron's bball IQ.

That is an excellent point! He is ready to shoot before he ever gets the ball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skip just said the moment was too big for Oubre, ouch... Idk though because it seems like those are the high emotional games that his intensity should shine in. If I didn’t know any better I’d say he took some bad gummies. Very odd performance.

My read is Oubre became frustrated last night with his inability to score against the Lakers front line. When one plays with intensity but lack results this can happen. IMO, last night's game was an aberration. Every player will have an off game now and then.

Oubre stats have improved every season over his 7 year career. Note, I averaged Oubre's 2018-19 stats last season as he played a partial season with the Wizards.

It's hard to believe this young man is still only 23 so I expect him to get better.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oubreke01.html