Lakers @ Suns Tuesday game thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
First sun's game I've been to in a few years and my take aways after watching in real life.

They need ayton no shocker there, Dario got backed down by Davis all game. Him and Howard had their way with everyone other than baynes sun's just need big bodies.

Cam actually played pretty good dispute what numbers might say, he was very active did a decent job defensively against LeBron just needed to hit a few more shots but they should come in time.

Please Jerome get healthy soon because TJ running the point kills momentum every time
TJ missed a lot of big shots tonight.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Nobody played defense tonight.
Bridges and Oubre played defense.

Booker played tight defense, with five fouls.

It was neck and neck until the last few minutes.

The Suns have a long way to go, but saying.
"Nobody played defense tonight." is a
D'Antoni critique, not a Monty critique.

The difference is there to see.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Cam needs to stop shooting moving threes.

with his feet set he is way better.

This is the NBA. You need a quick trigger on the move.

Weren’t you already calling him an elite NBA shooter already based on college? You know who else was an elite 3pt shooter in college... BRIDGES... SCARY

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That’s not true. This team played scrappy. Have to remember there isn’t a lot of athletic size in this team without Ayton. So they were killing us inside. When we were forced to double they dropped 3s. That’s why Ayton’s suspension hurts so much.

I’ve actually become higher on Ayton’s impact since he’s been out. Granted some of its from having to watch our two slow footed bigs in an uptempo league but they couldn’t have predicted Frank getting this much time. Dario can at least handle and see the floor a bit. TG for Aron F’n Baynes.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at the bloody numbers for Cam. Far worse this game across the board compared to Sunday against the Nets. How am I a troll for calling someone out on misrepresenting that Cam is improving each game?

Well, within the last couple days you claimed that Cam's shooting motion was too slow to get a shot off in the league... a comment so absurd that it is hard to take anything you say about him at face value.

For the record, I'd rather have Clarke, but your takes on Cam Johnson are flat out ignorant.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I think this game showed the importance of Ayton. I know Luka and Young grab all the headlights from that draft but Ayton is still a top big in this league with the ability to be top 3.

I read a tweet that Ayton has been working on his D, during the suspension and looks above average in that department. We already know he has skill scoring the ball.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like this suns team. A lot of interesting players...they play solid all the way around. Plus well coached. Rubio was such a great pickup! As well as Barnes and others. Let this team gel even more and bring back Ayton and no telling what can happen!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that play where EJ predicted Lebrun would shoot a 3 about two seconds in advance? EJ is a good announcer.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, within the last couple days you claimed that Cam's shooting motion was too slow to get a shot off in the league... a comment so absurd that it is hard to take anything you say about him at face value.

For the record, I'd rather have Clarke, but your takes on Cam Johnson are flat out ignorant.

I said his natural shooting motion was too slow to get his shot off, and that he was rushing his shot to compensate, resulting in inconsistency. Someone else on this board observed the same thing last night with the comment about him shooting while on the move rather than setting his feet.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Suns played really hard the entire game. Two things stood out to me. The Lakers experience was clutch at the end. And the Suns were short one quality big man that could help stop the Lakers from making layup after layup all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Bridges and Oubre played defense.

Booker played tight defense, with five fouls.

It was neck and neck until the last few minutes.

The Suns have a long way to go, but saying.
"Nobody played defense tonight." is a
D'Antoni critique, not a Monty critique.

The difference is there to see.

It doesn’t hurt every night but they really need him against the Lakers. The next time they play Ayton will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I said his natural shooting motion was too slow to get his shot off, and that he was rushing his shot to compensate, resulting in inconsistency. Someone else on this board observed the same thing last night with the comment about him shooting while on the move rather than setting his feet.

What are you basing your slow shooting motion assertion on? He has no hitch, no extended gather. Looks textbook to me.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough played hard gm sucks to make all those 3s and not win...

Some winnable games coming up need to beat the hawks before celtics will be hard though... but then pelicans and Timberwolves need to win those as well

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This game is EXACTLY why getting Ayton back and contributing is necessary for the Suns to get to the next level. We just didn't have enough big bodies. This also is why I still maintain that having someone like Doncic doesn't help us with teams that have enough strength and size to counter our passing and 3 point shooting.

We need Ayton back. More importantly we need him to play up to his ability.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If LAL are true title contenders the question is, how many nights will he have to take off during four rounds of playoffs? Obviously the goal is none via load management, but he is older. Even Kawai was limping at times in the playoffs last year.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cam looks promising to me, certainly more poised than most of our recent rookies. It’s fine to have preferred another player, but it’s not necessary to talk Cam down to make that case. No one is saying he’s the steal of the draft and most think he would have been available later. But if Monty wanted him, I’ll put a premium on that for the moment based on how coach has this team playing compared to last year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some have noted, the Suns were manhandled inside.

Davis had 24 points and 12 rebounds; James had 19 points and 11 rebounds; McGee 11 points and 3 rebounds; Kuzma 23 points and 4 rebounds; and Howard 12 points and 9 rebounds.

Ayton would certainly help with his size and ability but the Suns could uses another big that can help counteract teams that have a lot of size. Baynes was awesome.

Oubre was clearly flustered he couldn't operate inside with the Lakers size. This contributed to him having a bad night. My guess he will bounce back strongly. With coaching I think he will figure out to attack a team like the Lakers with backdoor cuts, slicing to the basket and getting out on the fast break. I don't think Oubre will have many bad games like this in his career.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
As some have noted, the Suns were manhandled inside.

Davis had 24 points and 12 rebounds; James had 19 points and 11 rebounds; McGee 11 points and 3 rebounds; Kuzma 23 points and 4 rebounds; and Howard 12 points and 9 rebounds.

Ayton would certainly help with his size and ability but the Suns could uses another big that can help counteract teams that have a lot of size. Baynes was awesome.

Oubre was clearly flustered he couldn't operate inside with the Lakers size. This contributed to him having a bad night. My guess he will bounce back strongly. With coaching I think he will figure out to attack a team like the Lakers with backdoor cuts, slicing to the basket and getting out on the fast break. I don't think Oubre will have many bad games like this in his career.

Skip just said the moment was too big for Oubre, ouch... Idk though because it seems like those are the high emotional games that his intensity should shine in. If I didn’t know any better I’d say he took some bad gummies. Very odd performance.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Skip just said the moment was too big for Oubre, ouch... Idk though because it seems like those are the high emotional games that his intensity should shine in. If I didn’t know any better I’d say he took some bad gummies. Very odd performance.

He only played 19 mins... Guys will have off nights every now and then. Last night was probably Oubre's worst game as a Sun, and again, it came in only 19 mins. Who knows... maybe he wasn't feeling well. Or, maybe it just wasn't his night. I have zero doubt that he will rebound with many more of his standard 17-18 point, 7-8 rebound games down the road...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lakers are doomed once AD or LeBron goes down, they played 37 minutes each, Booker and Rubio had 38 and 39 respectively.

Inside for Oubre you say???...4/5 attempts were from 3 point land, 0/4 from 3pt land and 0/5 overall. Just 1/2 from the free throw line for his 1point in the game. Maybe more mental than anything.

Veterans who've been in big games stepped up: Rubio, Baynes and Saric. Booker did too.

Tyler was a bit of a let down, Cam and Kaminsky were solid.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Oubre really disappointed me last night.

With that being said..... we could have won that game. Tons of opportunities to make open shots were missed. And the Baynes foul that gave them a 5-point possession really hurt. We had a couple really big point swings in a very tight game.

Ayton may help a bit, but the loss of 3-point shooting when Baynes is in there may even it out more than is being mentioned right now. Baynes creates more spacing, seems to open up the lane, and causes defenses to have to mess with their traditional defensive matchups.

Also..... Cam...... I hated the pick, and still question the sanity of the pick all together...... but he was hardly the reason we lost. In fact, I have been slightly surprised with his length and ability to get his shot off quickly and accurately. I expected more issues with that since his athleticism was so poor.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This game is EXACTLY why getting Ayton back and contributing is necessary for the Suns to get to the next level. We just didn't have enough big bodies. This also is why I still maintain that having someone like Doncic doesn't help us with teams that have enough strength and size to counter our passing and 3 point shooting.

We need Ayton back. More importantly we need him to play up to his ability.
We have enough big bodies, its just that AD is special. There is no one in the league who can stop him right now and there are only a few who can slow him down. Ayton is one of them. Ayton struggles with switching defense, but when he is assigned to a star player and told just stay on him, he can do very well. Ayton would have made a huge difference in that role last night.

So I guess I am agreeing with you, kinda.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre plays with very high emotional intensity, that can come back to bite him at times.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lakers are doomed once AD or LeBron goes down, they played 37 minutes each, Booker and Rubio had 38 and 39 respectively.

Inside for Oubre you say???...4/5 attempts were from 3 point land, 0/4 from 3pt land and 0/5 overall. Just 1/2 from the free throw line for his 1point in the game. Maybe more mental than anything.

Veterans who've been in big games stepped up: Rubio, Baynes and Saric. Booker did too.

Tyler was a bit of a let down, Cam and Kaminsky were solid.

Lebron and AD will “load manage” eventually. They’re just trying to integrate chemistry with so many new parts right now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have enough big bodies, its just that AD is special. There is no one in the league who can stop him right now and there are only a few who can slow him down. Ayton is one of them. Ayton struggles with switching defense, but when he is assigned to a star player and told just stay on him, he can do very well. Ayton would have made a huge difference in that role last night.

So I guess I am agreeing with you, kinda.

I didn't say we didn't have big bodies. I said when another team has enough big bodies to counter our passing and 3 point shooting, having someone like Ayton is paramount to counter. I agree that AD is simply special. Teams fail stopping him almost nightly. What Ayton can do is slow him down and certainly when AD is on the bench stop others from doing things around the rim. Not to mention the more easy shots you can on the offensive end the more energy guys like AD have to spend defending.