Your Favorite Movie Theater Experiences

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay folks, wrote a little about this in another thread, but thought it might be fun to dedicate an entire thread to each of our favorite specific movie going experiences... what was the movie, what made the experience special to you? Here's my top 4:

4. EDDIE MURPHY RAW (1987) - age 11

This one is up here just because of the ridiculous optics. I conned my grandmother into taking me to see this. She LOVED the first 5 minutes when it was the scene of little Eddie entertaining his family playing the fart game. For the next 75 minutes, she was horrified at what she had taken her 11 year old grandson to watch. I wish I saw the ticket-taker's face when he saw a 75 year old woman taking her 11 year old grandkid into that sucker.

3. T2 (1991), Midnight movie, age 14

Ouchie took me and my best friend (we were 14 at the time) to Town And Country for the Midnight Movie screening back when the movies actually only played at Midnight the day it was released.

that place was electric. favorite moment of the movie going experience was when the orderly licked Sarah's face and some dude yelled out:

"YOU SLIME!"

Why that was so funny, I have no idea, but it was. T2 was probably my third favorite movie experience ever.

2. BATMAN (1989) - Midnight Movie @ age 12

Second best was again with Ouchie when he took me and my cousin to the Midnight premiere of BATMAN back '89. We were 13 and 12 years old, and we went with all of his fraternity brothers in Boston. That place was going crazy too. People had scripts with them, we waited on looooong lines to get in. Best theater moment for that one was towards the end when the Bat-wing soared into the air, through the clouds and hung PERFECTLY in the center of the moon. In that moment, the crowd ERUPTED with cheers and screams. Gives me chills just thinking about it. I remember getting back from that movie and my cousin and I just obsessed over it like the biggest nerds that ever nerded for hours.

1. RISKY BUSINESS (1983), opening weekend, @ age 7

My favorite movie theater experience has to be what I now realize is my first truly clear movie theater memory. I was 7 years old and somehow Ouchie (again) and Brother Not Ouchie convinced my parents to let them take me to see Risky Business... And the funny thing there was they first wanted to see Vacation, but my parents heard Christie Brinkley was kind of naked in a pool in that movie so, that was a no go... instead, they took the 7 year old to see the movie about a Tom Cruise becoming a High School Pimp with the hottest sex scenes legit movies had seen to that point.

We saw it at the Orpheum in Chicago and it was this INCREDIBLE massive old school theater with a huge balcony. We got there late and ended up sitting in the upper deck and the theater was so packed that we had to sit in the freaking aisles. Ouch did his best to hold his hand over my eyes for all the sex scenes.

I remember watching through his fingers and the more than anything, the moment during the party where Tom Cruise is interviewing with the Princeton admissions guy at the big party at the end. The interview ends and Cruise walks out and is asked how it went. When he answered: "Looks like it's gonna be University Of Illinois" that crowd blew the freaking roof off that place. Incredible movie experience.

Once we got back to our parents, they asked me how it was? my response:

"It was the best movie I never saw!"

Okay board... your turn. Let 'er rip!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Easily my #1 was here in LA, at the Director's Guild. It was a double feature with Die Another Day and Gangs of New York. Gangs was a "premiere".

I remember it very well--during Die Another Day I sat next to Weird Al Yankovic. After Gangs, Scorsese came into the theater and did a Q&A. The Q&A was conducted by Steven Spielberg. Easily my favorite experience in a movie theater.

Also saw Seven Samurai at the NuArt which was cool. Saw Matrix at the Chinese opening night. Saw the Indiana Jones trilogy at the Egyptian. So a lot of experiences that were pretty memorable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - Kachina Theater in Scottsdale summer of 1964

This was my first indoor theater experience. We had a fairly large family and rarely went out together but if we went to see a movie, it was always a drive-in. This showing was a summer matinee and the room was packed with kids close to my age and the frequent laughter throughout the theater was infectious.

2. Satan Bug - Elks Theater(?) in Prescott summer of 1965.

My first experience with this kind of movie and I've spent the rest of my life trying to recapture that thrill. The movie was directed by John Sturges and because of this movie he became the first director whose name alone was enough to get me to watch a film. I know there are a lot of Sturges detractors but even today, I can watch his movies and know I'll be caught up in the story.

1. Star Wars - Cine Capri in Phoenix early summer 1977

There are a lot of reasons this makes my list and not just because the movie itself was something special at the time. Probably the number one reason is that it was a ridiculously long line to get in but fortunately an employee pulled my group out of the line and took us straight in. At the time I was 6'4 and weighed in at 105 pounds so I suspect they just wanted to avoid having me drop dead in the summer heat. Still, great theater, my wife, infant son and good friends plus an exciting movie all added up to a very special experience.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Empire Strikes Back - My number one was Empire Strikes Back premier special event at the Orginal Cinema Capri. I mentioned this on another thread but we were out there for hours and hours. I don't recall exactly how we got in. My older brother and his best friend scored entry. I just remember walking through the lobby seeing the wax figures of all the characters as they walked us through lines. Easily my #1.

Not so sure how to rank the rest.

Jurrasic Park - this was around the time that I was building my first home theater room. Surround sound was coming into it's own and that movie was touting new DTS sound. I actually didn't see the movie opening weekend. My girlfriend at the time was insisting we see her movie that first weekend. I honestly don't remember the movie. All I can remember is sitting there hearing the T-Rex roar SOOOO loud you could here it during our movie. When the T-Rex walked??? Same thing. All I could hear was bass. Movie theaters were NOT ready for the amount of sound proofing it would take to reduce bleed into the other theaters. In terms of the movie. Simply in awe. Huge fan of dinosaurs since I was kid. Between the sound and seeing the most realistic ever on screen? Ranks way up there for me.

Bram Stokers - Bram Stokers Dracula on opening night again at Cinema Capri. We got there late but a good friend of mine who passed away a short time later schmoozed his way to the front of the line. He could charm the hell out of anybody on the planet. If not for him the line wrapped around the building. It was awesome what that guy could get away with. Literally the funniest soul I have ever met. R.I.P.

Batman Premier - I think this may have been the largest gathering of my friends all seeing the movie together. There was probably 12 to 14 of us there. We were in lines that wrapped around the building. We ended up sitting way to close because it was the only seats available but I remember just sitting there thinking...."I don't care. This is Batman".

Aliens - another one that we went in mass on opening night. Mostly with family but a bunch of us went. We couldn't wait to see the movie again the second the credits rolled.

Matrix - I just remember sitting their in awe at what I was looking at. The bullet time FX, the story.....might be one of the most epic movies I have seen on film at the movies.

Gemini Man - Not that I would consider this a classic but the experience was epic. I was invited to a pre-screening a bit back to an early cut of that film. By pure chance I was sitting next to Ang Lee and Jerry Bruckheimer. If they had not confiscated our phones I probably would have geeked out and took a ton of photos. We spoke before the movie and they couldn't have been nicer. They both asked me how l liked the film and what I thought of it. Total NERD moment.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T.A.M.I Show--Bunch of us teenagers went to this show in Alamogordo, NM circa 1964. I had heard James Brown on the radio but then seeing him on film was mesmerizing.

Robin and Marian-- I took my kids who were maybe 10 years old thinking it would be a fun Robin Hood movie. The fight with Robert Shaw combined with Connery and Hepburn committing suicide devastated my kids. Ouch

Jaws--Lady sitting next to me let fly a bucket of buttered popcorn when the shark first appeared. The butter ruined my clothes. I went to see it about 5 times.

Black Hawk Down--In the hallway after coming out of the theater, I realized I was stunned, dripping with sweat and barely able to talk.

Honorable mention-- The Unforgiven-- I grew up loving Eastwood because of Rawhide, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and then the Dirty Harry films, etc. He was always a hero to me. Seeing him play William Munny was a complete shock but I loved it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robin and Marian-- I took my kids who were maybe 10 years old thinking it would be a fun Robin Hood movie. The fight with Robert Shaw combined with Connery and Hepburn committing suicide devastated my kids. Ouch

Reading that made me think of our friends who took their 7 year old daughter to Saving Private Ryan. They had confirmed prior to going that there was no real sex or nudity so they felt safe with their decision. BIG OUCH.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is tough.

definitely Batman with cheese and my fraternity brothers. We had been waiting for it for weeks and our house was totally abuzz all day waiting for it. The mass of people, many in costume, all the way back in the early 90s was something.

Jurassic park. Saw it in an old theater in Cleveland Park Washington DC when it first opened. We sat in an balcony. The vibrations from the sound made us worry the balcony was going to collapse.

Dazed and confused. Went and saw a matinee with my law school buddies. We were - uh - properly “prepared.” It was a mostly empty theater. The five of us laughed so hard throughout almost all of us were crying at some point.

buggy’s Malone (I believe with Scott baio and Jodie Foster). It was supposed to be the first movie my brother (he who shall not post) and I saw alone with no parents. Just checking the year I was 7 and he was 5 (what were my parents thinking???). Little bro chickened out and I saw it alone at the single screen theater at 32nd and Shea. I felt like a grown up.

empire strikes back - Cine Capri. Line went around the circular building. We were midway so we got it. Great theater for that.

almost any Father’s Day James Bond or Indiana Jones movie. Movies were always about family for me.

and here’s a weird one. Monster Truck (the recent one with the alien). We went to see it with another family. They have two daughters. Our two boys interact awesomely with them. Our youngest (8) has gone to school with their youngest since they were 3. I adore her. It more than that, I adore them together and they have always had a connection. This movie was her idea. Afterwards she said “I could see a movie with Corey every day.” As silly as it is to even think this, I harbor hopes that they get married. If they ever do, I saved the tickets from that movie . . . their first “date.”

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Jaws, Star Wars, Tommy all at the Cine Capri in the late 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Notting Hill in Notting Hill - this was part of a class assignment in my study abroad. We went out for drinks and settled in. The cool moment is the scene in the movie where they are in the theater was the same theater I was sitting in.

Batman 89 - my uncle took me to this. It was fun. I walked next door and bought the soundtrack. He didn't take me often, but it was fun. Including when we theater hopped a double feature...... Which is hard to do in a 3 screen cinema......

Countless drive-in movies - we had a single screen with the clip on speakers in my home town and I go to Glendale a lot

Any movie with my dad. He isn't really a touchy feely kind of guy, especially in his younger years. We didn't always have an easy connection. He did want to take me, and just me, out to the movies. He let me pick whatever and we'd grab lunch. None of the movies stand out, but the time and effort was appreciated and I try to have solo time with my kids.

Super Troopers - college movie - I was a we bit intoxicated and the humor is right up my alley. Theater was split with almost every female in the place complaining and leaving early and they guys laughing. Haven't seen anything like it.

Any movie with my kids. They are great at the movies and it's just a really nice time to see the movies with them and though their perspective.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Forgot about king of Kong a fistful of quarters. Saw with cheese and a friend. Packed theater. Quickly realized the three of us were the only ones laughing . . . and laughing A LOT! We were apparently surrounded by gaming geeks and they took this seriously. Was hilarious and awesome experience.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1. Red Dawn, Wednesday matinee with my grandmother. Age 6

I had nightmares for years as I look out my bedroom window at night when I go to bed. I couldnt stop seeing parachutes. It was nuts but I will never forget.

2. Beverly Hills Cop 1984, Wednesday matinee over xmas with my grandmother. Age 7

First totally rated R movie that I remember. I was blown away by Eddie.

3. Breakfast Club: University of Arizona Movie theater on campus in 1995. It was a special showing for some reason and it was full of students. Popcorn throwing, all the lines were recited throughout the movie, total party in the theater. LOVED IT

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Forgot about king of Kong a fistful of quarters. Saw with cheese and a friend. Packed theater. Quickly realized the three of us were the only ones laughing . . . and laughing A LOT! We were apparently surrounded by gaming geeks and they took this seriously. Was hilarious and awesome experience.
THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING!!!!! Still my favorite doc of the century. MUST SEE!!!!

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING!!!!! Still my favorite doc of the century. MUST SEE!!!!

do you guys remember that King Of Kong thread back in the day where I was raving about it and I think it was nashman who came in and just ripped me for it, even tho he never saw the movie and did so repeatedly? Then he saw the movie and proclaimed he loved it also. That was one of my favorite ridiculous threads on the board.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
do you guys remember that King Of Kong thread back in the day where I was raving about it and I think it was nashman who came in and just ripped me for it, even tho he never saw the movie and did so repeatedly? Then he saw the movie and proclaimed he loved it also. That was one of my favorite ridiculous threads on the board.
I do..... Classic ASFN

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
OK, I know I will be nailed for this one. I was in the service and took leave from work to see the first showing of the Exorcist in the city I was stationed at. Here I am 22 years old, serving my country and going to see a movie that ended up scaring the crap out of me. I mean I had trouble sleeping after seeing it. Decades later I told by 2 boys about my experience and they saw it as a low tech, who could be scared of this movie? But I went to see it without any review or knowledge of the film and left traumatized. Even with that, that was my first "favorite" movie experience.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
OK, I know I will be nailed for this one. I was in the service and took leave from work to see the first showing of the Exorcist in the city I was stationed at. Here I am 22 years old, serving my country and going to see a movie that ended up scaring the crap out of me. I mean I had trouble sleeping after seeing it. Decades later I told by 2 boys about my experience and they saw it as a low tech, who could be scared of this movie? But I went to see it without any review or knowledge of the film and left traumatized. Even with that, that was my first "favorite" movie experience.

Traumatized, OK, not my favorite movie experience but maybe my most memorable was Seven. I went into it blind and walked out stunned. I saw it on a Friday afternoon and felt sick all weekend. I've avoided movies like that every since.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Midnight showing of Rocky Horror with audience participation. That was a hoot! :clapping:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) when I was like 14yrs old. My heart was still racing hours after the movie ended. :shocker:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first movie I saw, 1959's the Shaggy Dog.

My little town of Elkhart Indiana had a class A movie theater (for the time). Big screen, full stage, lots of seats, big balcony, ushers, the whole nine yards. I remember standing in the lobby, listening to the uproarious laughter from the people watching the showing of the movie before we could get in, and the smell of the buttered popcorn. I thought I would pee myself I was so overwhelmed

The inside of the theater seemed cavernous. When the lights went down and the cartoon played, I was in heaven. Mom, dad, older sister and I laughed our arses off throughout the movie. I spent the next month wanting to BE the shaggy dog.

It was a wonderful time of family, fun and the ultimate introduction to motion pictures. No other movie experience even comes close.

P.S. I was 7 1/2 at the time.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was 14 when I first saw Wait Until Dark, it hit me much the way Exorcist did you. My grandfather chose the movie figuring it was safe since it starred Audrey Hepburn. Of course this is the same man that took us several years earlier to see a Jack Lemmon movie, assuming his involvement meant "family friendly". Days of Wine and Roses is so NOT family friendly. I think that might have been the scariest movie any 8 year old has ever seen, especially if that 8 year old had an abused and alcoholic mother and a mean-as-hell drunk stepfather.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Traumatized, OK, not my favorite movie experience but maybe my most memorable was Seven. I went into it blind and walked out stunned. I saw it on a Friday afternoon and felt sick all weekend. I've avoided movies like that every since.
Man I loved Seven.

1994 to 1996 was my sweet spot for movies. Just seemed like everything came together for me.

I saw Usual Suspects and Seven on their opening weekends (maybe a month apart?) and couldn't believe either of them. Seven & Showgirls were the same opening weekend IIRC and I watched them back to back. hahaha Glad I watched Seven last!

Pre-#MeToo Kevin Spacey in the summer of 95 was amazing to me.

IIRC 1995 Had:
Billy Madison & Tommy Boy
Bad Boys & Friday
Die Hard 3
Apollo 13
Braveheart
Usual Suspects
Seven
Casino & Toy Story - Same opening Night
Heat

That was an awesome year!!!!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I loved Seven.

1994 to 1996 was my sweet spot for movies. Just seemed like everything came together for me.

I saw Usual Suspects and Seven on their opening weekends (maybe a month apart?) and couldn't believe either of them. Seven & Showgirls were the same opening weekend IIRC and I watched them back to back. hahaha Glad I watched Seven last!

Pre-#MeToo Kevin Spacey in the summer of 95 was amazing to me.

IIRC 1995 Had:
Billy Madison & Tommy Boy
Bad Boys & Friday
Die Hard 3
Apollo 13
Braveheart
Usual Suspects
Seven
Casino & Toy Story - Same opening Night
Heat

That was an awesome year!!!!

It absolutely was an awesome movie year for me too but my list would look quite a bit different, notably that Seven wouldn't be anywhere close to it.

Crimson Tide
Apollo 13
Get Shorty
Goldeneye
Outbreak
Usual Suspects
Braveheart
Desperado
Dangerous Minds
Waterworld (what can I say, I'm a Costner fan)
Tommy Boy
While You Were Sleeping
French Kiss
Assassins
Empire Records
Friday
Under Siege 2
Mallrats
American President
Heat
Casino
Sudden Death
Grumpier Old Men
Judge Dredd

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It absolutely was an awesome movie year for me too but my list would look quite a bit different, notably that Seven wouldn't be anywhere close to it.

Crimson Tide
Apollo 13
Get Shorty
Goldeneye
Outbreak
Usual Suspects
Braveheart
Desperado
Dangerous Minds
Waterworld (what can I say, I'm a Costner fan)
Tommy Boy
While You Were Sleeping
French Kiss
Assassins
Empire Records
Friday
Under Siege 2
Mallrats
American President
Heat
Casino
Sudden Death
Grumpier Old Men
Judge Dredd
How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you omit Seven and instead add Under Siege 2, Judge Dredd, Sudden Death, Tommy Boy and ASSASSINS to your list?? Are you a Russian bot? Because I cannot fathom how any human being could put at least half of that list ahead of Seven... :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you omit Seven and instead add Under Siege 2, Judge Dredd, Sudden Death, Tommy Boy and ASSASSINS to your list?? Are you a Russian bot? Because I cannot fathom how any human being could put at least half of that list ahead of Seven... :)

For my personal tastes, and this is not hyperbole, I would rank almost every single movie I've ever watched above Seven. Off the top of my head, I'd place it right there with "Santa Conquers the Martians" and "End of the Road". But, yeah, I might be a Russian bot.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For my personal tastes, and this is not hyperbole, I would rank almost every single movie I've ever watched above Seven. Off the top of my head, I'd place it right there with "Santa Conquers the Martians" and "End of the Road". But, yeah, I might be a Russian bot.
You can't just say that and move on. WHY do you equate it with horribly-made z-movie schlock? I've never met anyone that would classify that movie so.