Cap Ramifications if DJ Retires

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What are the cap ramifications if DJ and his wife decide its time to calm it a career at the end of the season?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think the way it works is that, if we don't go after his signing bonus, his remaining bonus comes off the books as scheduled. He'd have a $3m cap hold in 2020 and 2021.

He'd be foregoing over $20 million in salary and roster bonuses in doing so.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What in the world are you thinking?

He's got a guaranteed $10 million next year and a guaranteed 10 million the next

There is NO WAY HE WALKS FROM $20 MILLION

No one and I mean NO ONE is that dumb

Shoot he's gonna milk the Cards for the rest of his deal then sucker at least one other team to fall for for 'what was' and not what is. ...after this next dumb deal some team gives him he'll call it quits

No Heart DJ should be his nickname

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
highly doubt they walk away from his massive final year of the contract.
Agreed. Most probable outcome is some team trades a second or third, if we're lucky, and thinks they can coach him up it that a change of scenery will help.

Best case scenario though is that he gets his head out of this fog and starts playing like he's capable of again.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed. Most probable outcome is some team trades a second or third, if we're lucky, and thinks they can coach him up it that a change of scenery will help.

Best case scenario though is that he gets his head out of this fog and starts playing like he's capable of again.
Any team with half a brain could look over DJ and his recent seasons and wisely say NO Thank You ....not even for a 6th with that contract

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was posting before the game about how he is the best RB in the league. I don't see him acting like he is out of it at all. I didnt see this game in real time so I didnt see his effort, just read the comments on here. The only time he made the 15 minute highlight real was blocking for drake as a FB and his play that he got stripped.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

id really like him to start playing well. it sucks that we thought we had a superstar and then poof.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
id really like him to start playing well. it sucks that we thought we had a superstar and then poof.

this feels like it happens to only the Cardinals

Jon Brown. Maybe not a superstar, but a very good deep threat receiver who after 700 and 1,000 yards his first two seasons looked primed to bust out, but then..….

Michael Floyd. Coming off a 1k, 850, and 820 yard receiving seasons and then...…...

Andre Ellington. Looked super dynamic out of the backfield as a rookie. And then......

imagine how much better the WR core would be with the John Brown and Michael Floyd of circa 2015 on this team. Both are still in their 20s!

NittanyCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty wild every big contract for running backs has failed.

Gurley
Zeke
DJ
Bell
Freeman

Granted Bell I can tell is giving 110% jumping, spinning, everywhere. he just can’t carry how terrible the Jets are.

OP
OP
Reddog

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting this would happen but wondered the impact. He may get himself killed if he keeps running so tentatively.

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
Cutting DJ

By just wasting a roster spot DJ earns $14,250,000 in 2020

2020 Pre-6/1 Release

2020 Dead Cap: $16,200,000 ( $-1,950,000 difference)

2020 Post-6/1 Release

2020 Dead Cap: $13,200,000 ($3,000,000 difference, but not until June 2)
2021 Dead Cap: $3,000,000

2021 Pre-6/1 Release

2021 Dead Cap: $3,000,000 ($9,000,000 difference from his $12,000,000 salary that year)

Trading DJ

Assuming a 2020 trade, the other team would take on this salary:

2020 for other team: $11,250,000 (fully guaranteed now as of 3/15/2019)
2021 for other team: $9,000,000 ($2.1M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/20/2020)

Every year of the contract there are $1.05 million in roster bonuses tied to being active, and some potential incentives

Pre-6/1 Trade

2020 Dead Cap: $6,000,000 (A $8,250,000 difference)

Post-6/1 Trade
2020 Dead Cap: $3,000,000 ($11,250,000 difference, but not until June 2)
2021 Dead Cap: $3,000,000

Sooooooo….. being the other team gets royally screwed the cards will have to pull a Leonard Williams and include money in the trade to be rid of DJ. This will significantly impact any savings as that is instant dead money. If DJ continues to suck, you may even have to include a pick to get rid of him.

It's not impossible, but will hurt no matter what. Basically your just trying to contain the damage Kiem did. You will not come up on this, just simply try to avoid a full 16 mil hit.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Obviously he's not running the way he once did but his value is in the passing game. If he becomes a full time WR, he creates no mismatch for the defense because a DB will be on him. Coming out of the backfield he will have a LBER covering him, advantage Cardinals.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
this feels like it happens to only the Cardinals

Jon Brown. Maybe not a superstar, but a very good deep threat receiver who after 700 and 1,000 yards his first two seasons looked primed to bust out, but then..….

Michael Floyd. Coming off a 1k, 850, and 820 yard receiving seasons and then...…...

Andre Ellington. Looked super dynamic out of the backfield as a rookie. And then......

imagine how much better the WR core would be with the John Brown and Michael Floyd of circa 2015 on this team. Both are still in their 20s!
You forgot Tyrann Mathieu. The year he was on pace to be DPOY was literally unreal

Sent from my SM-T517P using Tapatalk

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Maybe we can get Tampa Bay to trade for him. Just have to convince Bruce that DJ is being misused and will be back to the old DJ in his system. We know his loyalty, let's use it to our advantage.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
things have turned quickly on DJ--

Doug of Doug & Wolf morning show fame made an interesting reference this morning:

Leinart didn't start out as Captain Checkdown. That only happened after he took a killer hit vs St Louis and broke his collarbone. After that, he wanted nothing to do with contact and was about getting the ball out of his hands ASAP.

Doug referencing DJ: I hope he hasn't Leinart-ed. Gets hurt for the first time ( remember -- he broke his wrist when he got blasted in Detroit) and it changes his approach.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Bickley coming out with an article now on Arizona sports about Johnson. The wagons are circling.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Doug of Doug & Wolf morning show fame made an interesting reference this morning:

Leinart didn't start out as Captain Checkdown. That only happened after he took a killer hit vs St Louis and broke his collarbone. After that, he wanted nothing to do with contact and was about getting the ball out of his hands ASAP.

Doug referencing DJ: I hope he hasn't Leinart-ed. Gets hurt for the first time ( remember -- he broke his wrist when he got blasted in Detroit) and it changes his approach.

DJ isn't even a shell of his former self ...not even close
As a coach I wouldn't play him
He's shown NO effort , No heart and absolutely no skill to be on an NFL field
KK ran DJ 5 times, even though the tape showed he shouldn't be the starting RB...and what did DJ do with his 5 rushing attempts - total of 2 yards....that's less than 1/2 a yard per play.

I focused a lot on DJ during the game....on pass protection where he is to show protection and get to open space....he ran like guy who could give a damn about getting where he needed to be. I would have been yelling my head off at the effort he gave play after play after play.

He's not even running where the play is designed...he gets the ball and pauses, as if some invitation to walk through is going to show up and invite him through....then he stutter steps and jogs into an area

and god don't get me started on how fast he drops to the ground....1 finger touches him and his legs give out. I've never seen such sissy baby running EVER....except Beanie Wells.

THAT'S IT - David Johnson is the new Beanie Wells

They both had the world by the tail and gave up
Beanie had no heart - DJ runs with NONE
Beanie fell down on first contact - DJ falls down on first contact
Cards kept forcing the ball to Beanie until they couldn't take it...and the Cards are FINALLY figuring out forcing DJ to run isn't and won't work.
He's done
As a coach and as a team you only have so many offensive plays and you can't waste any if you want to win....and DJ is NOT worthy of any more plays this season.

It's sad to see a guy with all that talent to throw it away....lucky for him he's super rich.

Imagine if you were Mike B - you paid Beanie....oops I mean DJ $10 million dollars this year ...that's $625,000 per game....so for the past game he got $312,500 per yard....are you happy you spent your money right?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if this is really the case, i think the knee injury scare at the end of 2016 probably did him in more than the wrist. Ouch and I talked during the first game of 2017 against Detroit that DJ didn't look the same before he got his wrist busted.