Hockey Commentator Don Cherry Fired for Rant Over Immigrants

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hockey Commentator Don Cherry Fired for Rant Over Immigrants

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sp...64763101.html?_osource=newsletter_sports_KNSD

Don Cherry, Canada's most polarizing, flamboyant and opinionated hockey commentator, was fired Monday for calling immigrants "you people" in a television rant in which he said new immigrants are not honoring the country's fallen soldiers.

Rogers Sportsnet President Bart Yabsley announced the decision following discussions with the 85-year-old broadcaster.

"It has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down," Yabsley said in a statement. "During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for."

Cherry derided immigrants by saying Saturday night, "You people ... you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price."

The tradition of wearing poppies in Canada honors the country's war dead on Remembrance Day, which was observed Monday.

Cherry has provided commentary following the first intermission of "Hockey Night in Canada" for more than three decades.

He said late Monday he would not be apologizing.

"I know what I said and I meant it. Still do. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honor our fallen soldiers," Cherry told The Canadian Press.

Cherry denies he was singling out visible minorities.

"I did not say minorities, I did not say immigrants. If you watch 'Coach's Corner,' I did not say that. I said 'everybody.' And I said 'you people,'" Cherry said.

"Irish, Scotch, anybody that's newcomers to Canada, and they should wear a poppy to honor our dead from the past, whether they're Scotch or Irish or English, or where they come from."

Cherry added he could have stayed on "if I had turned into a tame robot who nobody would recognize."

"I can't do that after 38 years," he said

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I really don't see what was wrong with his take. People are so easily offended. Even Canadians I guess. Shame really.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I really don't see what was wrong with his take. People are so easily offended. Even Canadians I guess. Shame rally.

There's a pattern with this guy. This isn't his first brush with over-the-top comments. I never was a fan, even when he would stick with hockey commentary. Those suits though... :eek: