League is a joke (Final play)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Flags are almost never thrown on Hail Mary's so there is no way the replay both would have overturned it. Maybe the Cards should have converted the minimum 13 points they left on the field?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The defender was playing the ball so I'm not sure you could call it PI

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Cmon. He played through the receiver. His head snapped back when hit before the ball arrived. It was definitely PI but I knew they wouldn’t call it. That said, it really should have been reviewed and it really was PI.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
If you want to progress as a team and bring quality talent via the draft, you have to run Suge White out of town. Simple. I know it's highly unlikely he's canned as he's tied to KK and K1 and is MB's friend, but we can definitely upgrade at the GM spot.

Would you mind if we gave Stevie one more year (and a treadmill)? Please TJ? I think he's on a heater on first round draft picks. :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
On the Bucs one, the legs got tangled, and the ball was 8 yards deeper and a number of yards towards the sideline. Even if you can call it a potential PI, it has to

Cmon man this is a little intellectually dishonest. It wasn’t tangled legs. Thompson fell and then clearly purposefully rolled into the receivers legs. I thought caychability might valid until watching the replay. The call landed in the end zone so it may have been catchable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was in mexico all weekend and just watched the 15 minute highlight video when I got home. Rewound and watched that again. He did hit cooper before the ball was there but he was looking at and playing the ball. I am not sure how it works if you run through someone going to the ball.
It’s PI. That’s how it works.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Would you mind if we gave Stevie one more year (and a treadmill)? Please TJ? I think he's on a heater on first round draft picks. :)

Would I mind? Yes. But I know ownership is gonna give him at least one more year, so it's not worth the handwringing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flags are almost never thrown on Hail Mary's so there is no way the replay both would have overturned it. Maybe the Cards should have converted the minimum 13 points they left on the field?

It wasn't really a Hail Mary though Kyler got flushed out and just threw it up to avoid taking a sack. He did exactly what you're taught to do, give your Wr a chance to make a play or draw a penalty, they just didn't call it. SI and Sporting News both had the play on their sites with a headline saying something about Cards lose after no call on obvious PI prevents them from attempting game tying FG. It's not just Cards fans.

I posted the replay on an email list I'm on and everyone on the list, all but one of whom are NOT Cards fans asked ok even if you miss that live how can you not review that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cmon man this is a little intellectually dishonest. It wasn’t tangled legs. Thompson fell and then clearly purposefully rolled into the receivers legs. I thought caychability might valid until watching the replay. The call landed in the end zone so it may have been catchable.

Slight quibble. On that play and the one by Murphy IMO what happened is Evans did his "swim move" as Spielman called it, knocked the defender off balance. On the endzone one Thompson fell into Evans, on the other one Murphy reached out and grabbed, because he was being tossed aside. So if you don't see the swim move yes they're both PI, but on the replay in the endzone they reviewed it, they HAD to see the swim move.

I don't immediately find a replay so I can't post it so maybe I'm wrong.

FYI I just found that Yahoo called it a missed PI call too on the last play.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It wasn't really a Hail Mary though Kyler got flushed out and just threw it up to avoid taking a sack. He did exactly what you're taught to do, give your Wr a chance to make a play or draw a penalty, they just didn't call it. SI and Sporting News both had the play on their sites with a headline saying something about Cards lose after no call on obvious PI prevents them from attempting game tying FG. It's not just Cards fans.

I posted the replay on an email list I'm on and everyone on the list, all but one of whom are NOT Cards fans asked ok even if you miss that live how can you not review that.

I am not debating it being PI or not. On that type of play, refs will not make the call therefore even if it goes to replay it won't be called.

That was never going to replay.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
like someone else posted of the last 4 PI they got 3 totally wrong and one is highly discussable.

The last one was PI
The one to Kirk is discussable, there was contact but the ball wasn't really there, but Kirk is fast so...
Evans has the push "swim move" after 5 yards that is pi on Evans and than he is totally overthrown but gets tangled up
on the INT on review you see clearly the DB tangles up Sherfield, on a high profile QB this is a PI because ... see the argument that lead to the PI for Evans, because even if you don't do it on purpose as a D you hindered the WR to get to the ball and that is a pass interference.

3 out of 4 wrong 1 highly discussable and of that 4 only 1 was reviewed ... just pathetic.

But how others said, if we score the Williams TD if we score the Cooper TD, if we don't fumble, if we don't throw that ball that risky ball, if our D could stop anything, then the 4 calls wouldn't had any crucial outcome.

But at the moment we aren't that good to be that much better than the other average to bad teams.

And everyone that convinces you that such a bad call series, 1 discussable for and 3 balantly against you doesn't matter at the end of a game between even matched up teams, is a liar. Because if both teams are really good, such onsided calls make or brake the game.

Look even if 2 go our way and 2 theires we would have had a chance for a tying FG.

If only the evans call gets against us and the PI for the INT gets called we win.

we change only one decision by the Zebras and win a or lose a game, were both teams are playing at more or less the same level, for me the Cards were slightly better and that was also said by many of my non Cards fans. If that happens in the NFC/AFC Championship or in the SB, than the NFL loses another million or two on viewers.

This isn't something you should take easily. There is no excuse to have no drone filming from over the QB, none. And if there is one camera that shows that view you can clearly always state if the ball was catchable and you see the PI clearly.

This is fully on the NFL and the Refs to get this right.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like someone else posted of the last 4 PI they got 3 totally wrong and one is highly discussable.

The last one was PI
The one to Kirk is discussable, there was contact but the ball wasn't really there, but Kirk is fast so...
Evans has the push "swim move" after 5 yards that is pi on Evans and than he is totally overthrown but gets tangled up
on the INT on review you see clearly the DB tangles up Sherfield, on a high profile QB this is a PI because ... see the argument that lead to the PI for Evans, because even if you don't do it on purpose as a D you hindered the WR to get to the ball and that is a pass interference.

3 out of 4 wrong 1 highly discussable and of that 4 only 1 was reviewed ... just pathetic.

But how others said, if we score the Williams TD if we score the Cooper TD, if we don't fumble, if we don't throw that ball that risky ball, if our D could stop anything, then the 4 calls wouldn't had any crucial outcome.

But at the moment we aren't that good to be that much better than the other average to bad teams.

And everyone that convinces you that such a bad call series, 1 discussable for and 3 balantly against you doesn't matter at the end of a game between even matched up teams, is a liar. Because if both teams are really good, such onsided calls make or brake the game.

Look even if 2 go our way and 2 theires we would have had a chance for a tying FG.

If only the evans call gets against us and the PI for the INT gets called we win.

we change only one decision by the Zebras and win a or lose a game, were both teams are playing at more or less the same level, for me the Cards were slightly better and that was also said by many of my non Cards fans. If that happens in the NFC/AFC Championship or in the SB, than the NFL loses another million or two on viewers.

This isn't something you should take easily. There is no excuse to have no drone filming from over the QB, none. And if there is one camera that shows that view you can clearly always state if the ball was catchable and you see the PI clearly.

This is fully on the NFL and the Refs to get this right.

I think the INT to sherfield is a good no call it's just incidental contact IMO not PI.

The last 4 calls to me were PI on Murphy where it was actually Evans PI that caused Murphy to grab him. PI on Thompson where it was Evans who caused Thompson to fall into Evans. Then PI on the play to Kirk I thought was a clean defensive play he basically read that Kyler was going to backshoulder it and got to the spot first, Kirk just sold it that he was trying to get back and the ref called it. And then the last one not even debatable.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Evans pushed off, which caused him to fall and grab onto him. That should have been offensive PI, not defensive. It was about the 3rd or 4th time in the game that Evans pushes off to get separation and didn't get called for it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One point I had forgotten in the aftermath. On the same drive where Kyler threw the INT we had the play where Kyler got sacked, threw it away but the refs ruled he was not down when he was. Because Arians was out of challenges, the play stood as incomplete and not a 12 yard loss. So we actually did get a break on that drive.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Kent Somers @kentsomers

Pretty sure Kingsbury is right about this: the DPI called on Thompson was first time a booth initiated review resulted in a flag on field when foul wasn’t originally called.

Kent Somers @kentsomers

Also, the down judge yesterday was Patrick Turner. He was also the down judge in NFC title game last year, the game that led to the rule change on pass interference.