Why I’m not too upset

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After last year my thoughts and I believe most of you was hoping for improvement and to field a more entertaining team. I believe we’ve done that.

In true human nature when we enjoy a little success we come to expect it to be the norm. We’re getting there. We are experiencing growing pains.

We have a quarterback. We have a very good young receiver. Our o-line is playing better than we hoped. We have a fg kicker. We have an offense that is very capable of moving the ball and with 1 or 2 additional pieces could become VERY good. We’ve been competitive in just about every east coast trip. We are getting answers to questions we might not like, I.e. David Johnson but we now have Drake ( and Edmonds).

Yes we have problems. Especially on defense. Personally I really can’t tell you exactly what we need but I do know we cannot win with a defense that is successful 66% of the time. ( two out of three downs). Is it scheme? Is it linebackers? D-line? D-backs or a combination?

This team is playing hard and there seems to be no quit. We have a coach that takes responsibility for failure and appears to be learning.

So am I disappointed today? Yes. We all knew we weren’t a playoff team. There is a fine line between winning and losing and we are WAY closer to that line today than we were last year. It’s okay to be pissed off today. But if you are feeling blue take a look back at November 10th 2018. You should feel a little better.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
After last year my thoughts and I believe most of you was hoping for improvement and to field a more entertaining team. I believe we’ve done that.

In true human nature when we enjoy a little success we come to expect it to be the norm. We’re getting there. We are experiencing growing pains.

We have a quarterback. We have a very good young receiver. Our o-line is playing better than we hoped. We have a fg kicker. We have an offense that is very capable of moving the ball and with 1 or 2 additional pieces could become VERY good. We’ve been competitive in just about every east coast trip. We are getting answers to questions we might not like, I.e. David Johnson but we now have Drake ( and Edmonds).

Yes we have problems. Especially on defense. Personally I really can’t tell you exactly what we need but I do know we cannot win with a defense that is successful 66% of the time. ( two out of three downs). Is it scheme? Is it linebackers? D-line? D-backs or a combination?

This team is playing hard and there seems to be no quit. We have a coach that takes responsibility for failure and appears to be learning.

So am I disappointed today? Yes. We all knew we weren’t a playoff team. There is a fine line between winning and losing and we are WAY closer to that line today than we were last year. It’s okay to be pissed off today. But if you are feeling blue take a look back at November 10th 2018. You should feel a little better.

Top 5-10 pick in a draft stacked with Quarterbacks. Either the QB’s will be drafted at the top, leaving players at positions of need on the board or we trade down. I am extremely disappointed in the play of several veterans, but the young players are leading the team

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
very short term, I am disappointed as this was a game we should have won. Big picture we are making strides especially on offense. We still have growing pains with things but it’s so much better to watch than McCoys so called offense. I really thought offense side of the ball would be a bigger need in 2020, but we need some difference makers on defense next year. If our defense was just NFL middle of the pack, we would have a winning record

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can see why some are excited, but I'm not there yet. After last week I was feeling pretty good, after today I don't. At the end of the day, I need to feel like we can win against any decent team any week within reason, and we just can't hang on against even the worst of competition. I know a lot of you are hanging your hat on moral victories and being able to move the ball, but our defense has regressed, and we still have a ton of major holes.

I just don't see how we fill them with Keim, and coaching across the board has me very concerned.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see why some are excited, but I'm not there yet. After last week I was feeling pretty good, after today I don't. At the end of the day, I need to feel like we can win against any decent team any week within reason, and we just can't hang on against even the worst of competition. I know a lot of you are hanging your hat on moral victories and being able to move the ball, but our defense has regressed, and we still have a ton of major holes.

I just don't see how we fill them with Keim, and coaching across the board has me very concerned.
I hear you brother. Tampa has one of the highest scoring offenses in the league. This offense needs piece or two but this off season is going to be all about defense.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A loss is a loss. But on the last play of the game, there was PI on TB, and the officials just ignored it. Another black eye for NFL officiating.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Very good points. Since the move to AZ, have the Cardinals EVER been able to be competitive when coming east? Even with Warner, a HOF'er, we got throttled when we had to play at 10 am on the east coast. Some on this board still haven't totally come to grips that they were wrong about Murray, and that's OK. How else can you explain even being remotely critical of his 324 yard, 3 touchdown performance yesterday? That, with multiple drops, constantly under duress, no running game, and perhaps the worst Cardinal defense that I have seen in my 55+ years of watching this franchise? By seasons end, Murray will obliterate every Cardinal rookie QB record. I can't even imagine how good he can be if we shore up the weaknesses I mentioned. Other than Lomax, we have never had a young, stud, QBOF. And Murray is significantly more talented than Lomax ever could be. Not in our history. It took Jim Hart years to be even above average. I hope I'm around to watch every game this kid plays in his career.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very good points. Since the move to AZ, have the Cardinals EVER been able to be competitive when coming east? Even with Warner, a HOF'er, we got throttled when we had to play at 10 am on the east coast. Some on this board still haven't totally come to grips that they were wrong about Murray, and that's OK. How else can you explain even being remotely critical of his 324 yard, 3 touchdown performance yesterday? That, with multiple drops, constantly under duress, no running game, and perhaps the worst Cardinal defense that I have seen in my 55+ years of watching this franchise? By seasons end, Murray will obliterate every Cardinal rookie QB record. I can't even imagine how good he can be if we shore up the weaknesses I mentioned. Other than Lomax, we have never had a young, stud, QBOF. And Murray is significantly more talented than Lomax ever could be. Not in our history. It took Jim Hart years to be even above average. I hope I'm around to watch every game this kid plays in his career.
I don’t think that anyone is blaming Murray for the loss. Our defense is horrible. I agree with all of Slanidrac16’s points above in the original post.

It’s nice to hear KK take responsibility for the losses all the time regardless if it was his fault or not.

It got so tired of hearing Wilks after every loss insist that they had a great game plan it’s just that the players need to execute better. After. Every. Loss. Hell, even Arians would say that sometimes after a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Great post Slan. Agree that, generally, we're seeing exactly what we needed to see from the offense this year.

And also agree that the defense has been especially disappointing. We have a historically bad pass defense, and fixing this in the offseason will determine if we make the playoffs next year.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

I'm not sure if Murray should have thrown the ball that got picked PA. I mean I know I'm really, really being hard on him, and part of it was bad luck, but I just.. I don't know...

But You were right all along. You were there from the very beginning, you and Dr. Jones and juza. It wasn't that hard to see Kyler was exceptionally talented, but I'll give you props for having the guts to stand up to everyone who said we shouldn't use the first pick on a 5' 10" QB.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Murray should have thrown the ball that got picked PA. I mean I know I'm really, really being hard on him, and part of it was bad luck, but I just.. I don't know...

But You were right all along. You were there from the very beginning, you and Dr. Jones and juza. It wasn't that hard to see Kyler was exceptionally talented, but I'll give you props for having the guts to stand up to everyone who said we shouldn't use the first pick on a 5' 10" QB.

Thanks for your kind words regarding the drafting of Murray. I wish I could say that I've always been right, but that would only apply to my marriage:rolleyes:. I have no problem with the pass. The beauty of guys like K1 & Mahomes are that they are athletic enough to throw from different angles and off their back foot if necessary. I have a bigger problem with WHO he threw it to. But under duress, he felt that was his best option. There are times when Murray will need to throw into a tight window & expect his guy to come away with the ball. Even off his back foot, the ball was for the most part where he needed it to be. If Sherfield doesn't get tripped up, he would have at least knocked it down. If that pass is to Fitz, it's more likely a completion. If not, it's definitely an incompletion. But definitely, NOT an interception. Even Murray said afterwards that based on where his receiver was positioned, he never thought that pass could be intercepted. In hindsight, it's always easy to say an intercepted pass was a bad decision. But, he has, and he will continue to throw just as risky a pass as that in the future. Exactly why we need a bigger receiver in the future. We can only hope that Hakeem Butler is that guy. I'd draft another large possession type WR again this year.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A gut wrenching loss but this is all on the D. Yes we made mistakes on offense but all we needed at the end was a stop by our D. Not to prevent a FG. Just don't let them drive the field for a TD. We all knew we were in trouble as this D gives no room for error. I feel like I have many times over the past 50+ years. If we only had a decent D.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’m freaking upset - when we can at least mimic a successful run game we can win, that last 3rd down Tb dline lined up for a running start at our oline- and fans blame it on the oline ? Bowles is like You want to disrespect us by passing every down - watch this you one dimensional sorry excuse for a pro football team. Yea yea - DJ could go to a different team and be a superstar, but not on this team - addicted to the pass allergic to the run

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think that anyone is blaming Murray for the loss. Our defense is horrible. I agree with all of Slanidrac16’s points above in the original post.

It’s nice to hear KK take responsibility for the losses all the time regardless if it was his fault or not.

It got so tired of hearing Wilks after every loss insist that they had a great game plan it’s just that the players need to execute better. After. Every. Loss. Hell, even Arians would say that sometimes after a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, no one is outright blaming him for the loss. But, some have mentioned him as a contributor to the loss. And that's unfair. When you look at his entire body of work, Murray has been exceptional. Not only will he be the OROY, but his rookie year will be one of the greatest of all time. Unless his game is absolutely perfect in every way, we'll still have people on OUR board nitpicking a play or two. And that's fine. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions. I just still think they're being unfair to this kid because NO ONE can be perfect every week. Not even Drew Brees.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Yes, no one is outright blaming him for the loss. But, some have mentioned him as a contributor to the loss. And that's unfair. When you look at his entire body of work, Murray has been exceptional. Not only will he be the OROY, but his rookie year will be one of the greatest of all time. Unless his game is absolutely perfect in every way, we'll still have people on OUR board nitpicking a play or two. And that's fine. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions. I just still think they're being unfair to this kid because NO ONE can be perfect every week. Not even Drew Brees.

Why is everyone saying Josh Jacobs is the "runaway OROY"? Because he had 16 carries for 71 yards and a TD vs. the Chargers?

He's on pace for 1,300 or 1,400 rushing yards, okay. But he's not much of a receiving threat. He's having a very good/great season, but K1 is on pace for 4,600 yards of total offense!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A gut wrenching loss but this is all on the D. Yes we made mistakes on offense but all we needed at the end was a stop by our D. Not to prevent a FG. Just don't let them drive the field for a TD. We all knew we were in trouble as this D gives no room for error. I feel like I have many times over the past 50+ years. If we only had a decent D.

We're the same age, so I understand your point exactly. Defense has almost never been a Cardinal strength. And that goes back to the 60's. I'm sure you remember the 1970 team that had 3 consecutive shutouts. Granted, the Patriots & Oilers were not juggernauts, but we did shut out Dallas (in Dallas) 38-0 in that stretch. And by the way, that Dallas team went to the SB, and lost on a last second FG to Baltimore. But, in typical Cardinal fashion, we lost the last 3 games because our D couldn't stop anyone. We finished 8-5-1, and missed the playoffs. BB was so pissed that he fired Charley Winner (a good coach), and the franchise struggled again until Coryell came around. That's another story for another time. But even that era ended because our D SUCKED.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why is everyone saying Josh Jacobs is the "runaway OROY"? Because he had 16 carries for 71 yards and a TD vs. the Chargers?

He's on pace for 1,300 or 1,400 rushing yards, okay. But he's not much of a receiving threat. He's having a very good/great season, but K1 is on pace for 4,600 yards of total offense!

CW, before the season even started, I wrote and saved a post that I plan to share with everyone after the season is over. The NFL is a PC POS organization. Let's just say that to date, everything that I predicted would happen, has mostly happened. In time, I'll share it.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Positives:

Isabella is showing why we drafted him so high, amazing speed and quick cutting ability.

Murray has excellent touch and accuracy, especially on the long ball.

Chandler Jones is better than PP2 thinks PP2 is.

Gunther is a solid DLineman.

Fitz still does some amazing things, keep him until he needs a cane.

Corey Peters is dude.

Our run D has improved.

Murphy looks to be a solid addition.

Hicks makes plays and just needs a stud next to him.

Reddick isn't that stud but he keeps improving even if it's only by a little bit each game.

That fake punt play was Awesome.

We see Budda Baker making plays more and more each week.

Kirk is more than just good.

Negatives:

PP2 isn't what he use to be.

Vance Joseph is the Dutch boy, plugs one hole just to create another one.

I think we all know if you play fantasy FB you must start the oppositions TE.

We can't run a screen and can't defend one. (Historically this has always been the case)

Oline is better than last year but still not good enough.

I can't stand Brennan or whatever his name is, dude gets paid to announce FB games and doesn't know anything about FB.

Summation:

I hate losing when it's obvious we could have and should have won the game but this year is far more entertaining and at times even fun to watch.

I believe KK is doing a very good job and is learning as he goes, very bright future IMO.

K1 is going to be a top 5 QB in this league. His height does limit him some but shore up the interior of the Oline and some more experience and he will lead us to the promised land.

Vance Joseph concerns me some but he needs some more talent.

Sherfield, Byrd and Cooper are basically the same guy, one of the three is enough for this team IMO.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Positives:

Isabella is showing why we drafted him so high, amazing speed and quick cutting ability.

Murray has excellent touch and accuracy, especially on the long ball.

Chandler Jones is better than PP2 thinks PP2 is.

Gunther is a solid DLineman.

Fitz still does some amazing things, keep him until he needs a cane.

Corey Peters is dude.

Our run D has improved.

Murphy looks to be a solid addition.

Hicks makes plays and just needs a stud next to him.

Reddick isn't that stud but he keeps improving even if it's only by a little bit each game.

That fake punt play was Awesome.

We see Budda Baker making plays more and more each week.

Kirk is more than just good.

Negatives:

PP2 isn't what he use to be.

Vance Joseph is the Dutch boy, plugs one hole just to create another one.

I think we all know if you play fantasy FB you must start the oppositions TE.

We can't run a screen and can't defend one. (Historically this has always been the case)

Oline is better than last year but still not good enough.

I can't stand Brennan or whatever his name is, dude gets paid to announce FB games and doesn't know anything about FB.

Summation:

I hate losing when it's obvious we could have and should have won the game but this year is far more entertaining and at times even fun to watch.

I believe KK is doing a very good job and is learning as he goes, very bright future IMO.

K1 is going to be a top 5 QB in this league. His height does limit him some but shore up the interior of the Oline and some more experience and he will lead us to the promised land.

Vance Joseph concerns me some but he needs some more talent.

Sherfield, Byrd and Cooper are basically the same guy, one of the three is enough for this team IMO.

Very good post! Have you been reading my mind:D. If t's are crossed, and i's dotted, this could be a very formidable team in 2 years.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
CW, before the season even started, I wrote and saved a post that I plan to share with everyone after the season is over. The NFL is a PC POS organization. Let's just say that to date, everything that I predicted would happen, has mostly happened. In time, I'll share it.

Cue the ominous music for that "next week, on ASFN" post .. lol. :)

Can't wait PA!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose