Hamlet 2

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hamlet 2

Release Date: August 22, 2008 (limited; wide: Aug. 29)
Studio: Focus Features (Universal)
Director: Andy Fleming
Screenwriter: Andy Fleming, Pam Brady
Genre: Comedy
MPAA Rating: R (for language including sexual references, brief nudity and some drug content)

Starring: Steve Coogan, Catherine Keener, Amy Poehler, David Arquette, Elisabeth Shue, Melonie Diaz

Plot Summary: "The hit, the very palpable hit" of the 2008 Sundance Film Festival, "Hamlet 2" is an irreverent comedy centering on one teacher's overzealous quest to mount a high school musical. The film is directed by Andrew Fleming ("Dick," "*********") from an original screenplay he wrote with Pam Brady ("South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut," "Team America: World Police"); the stars are Steve Coogan ("Night at the Museum"), Catherine Keener ("The 40-Year-Old Virgin"), David Arquette (the "Scream" movies), Amy Poehler ("Saturday Night Live"), and Academy Award nominee Elisabeth Shue as herself.

Coogan portrays Dana Marschz; the last name is pronounced... oh, any attempt is close enough, really. Dana is a failed actor-turned-high school drama teacher. Shortchanged in the talent department, Dana still harbors ambitions and passions. At work, that is; his personal life, with his dissatisfied wife Brie (Keener) and their boarder Gary (Arquette), leaves much to be desired.

At Tucson, AZ's West Mesa High School, Dana sees himself as an inspirational teacher. But his adaptations of popular films, as performed by his top students Rand and Epiphany (Skylar Astin and Phoebe Strole, both stars of Broadway's "Spring Awakening"), are not resonating. When his latest – re-creating "Erin Brockovich" – is dismissed by the 9th grade drama critic and his department is targeted for closure, Dana must reach deep into himself for creativity.

After much perspiration, he conceives a sequel to Shakespeare's "Hamlet" – a musical-theater extravaganza that will disdain both political correctness and dramatic credibility. Rallying and rousing his class, Dana casts a wider net by recruiting transfer students like Ivonne (Melonie Diaz of "Be Kind Rewind") for key roles. With rehearsals underway, objections from school officials and the community are soon raised, but Dana will not be denied his freedom of artistic expression. After all, "to thine own self be true." Dana gets unexpected support from ACLU attorney Cricket Feldstein (Poehler) and his favorite actress, Elisabeth Shue. Above all else, he fervently believes that his opus must be staged, and nothing can break his optimistic spirit.

You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the main characters dying in Hamlet I, how can they make a sequel?

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I rented this over the weekend and I must say it is a fabulous movie.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was right, this was absolutely fantastic. How can they make a sequel when all the main characters die? Uh, HELLO!!! Time machine!!! :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Finally watched this, what a great little movie... It took the cliche about the teacher inspiring the students and turned it on its head. Amy Poehler is hilarious in it.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The very last line of the mocie is the single GREATEST MOST ON POINT LINE in the HISTORY of movies....and its not even close... It was the cherry on top of a VERY good movie...

Those who have not seen the movie, watch it for the last line, you will thank me for it :D

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The very last line of the mocie is the single GREATEST MOST ON POINT LINE in the HISTORY of movies....and its not even close... It was the cherry on top of a VERY good movie...

Those who have not seen the movie, watch it for the last line, you will thank me for it :D
Ha! You're going to have a magical life...

I circled back to watch this film because of Elisabeth Shue and it did not disappoint. Fun little film with great lines throughout. Nice cast for a small film like this.