The Defense!!!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
all of our losses can be laid at their feet as far as I’m concerned! They have been atrocious all year long and still just as bad as the beginning of the year. Keep losing I don’t care but nearly the whole draft should be spent on defenders! And our D coordinator should not see a year 2, screw you Vance your terrible! Terrible schemes and execution all year as they stop no one!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be OK with firing him now. Honestly, ranked 30 going into the game. We let a 2 win team roll up 30. Yes, I do believe that firing a coach mid-season rarely does anything positive but there are literally only 2 spots further down the ladder we could possibly go and there isn't much difference between 30 and 32 ranked defenses.

Maybe just maybe a fresh set of eyes improves the defense just a bit.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We aren’t firing a coordinator mid season two years in a row despite the fact it’d be 100% deserving.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I’m gonna have to say I don’t see that Jospeh is the problem. There were sooo many many mental break downs on D. Reddick alone had like 3. If you want to put guys not knowing where they should line up or understanding where their help is or simply how to read a screen pass and come up and make a tackle on Johnson then so be it.

Even when guys were where they where supposed to be they just weren’t making plays. They had Winston out there looking like Barry Sanders breaking ankles on slow motion jukes. Baker is a solid player but for the 2nd game in a row he got absolutely trucked by a guy on his way into the endzone. Guys were committing stupid penalties.

You can’t have such a severe lack of talent at each level of the defense not to mention seemingly only 1 or 2 high IQ guys and think a new DC will all of a sudden be the solution. Personally I think Johnson is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m gonna have to say I don’t see that Jospeh is the problem. There were sooo many many mental break downs on D. Reddick alone had like 3. If you want to put guys not knowing where they should line up or understanding where their help is or simply how to read a screen pass and come up and make a tackle on Johnson then so be it.

Even when guys were where they where supposed to be they just weren’t making plays. They had Winston out there looking like Barry Sanders breaking ankles on slow motion jukes. Baker is a solid player but for the 2nd game in a row he got absolutely trucked by a guy on his way into the endzone. Guys were committing stupid penalties.

You can’t have such a severe lack of talent at each level of the defense not to mention seemingly only 1 or 2 high IQ guys and think a new DC will all of a sudden be the solution. Personally I think Johnson is doing the best he can with what he has to work with.
Reddick's ability to compromise the integrity of the defense makes it tough to really evaluate the scheme.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The reason Joseph is the problem is that his defense is a problem. There's no excuse for the missed communicatons and penalties - it's a reflection of bad coaching.

It is no coincidence that both the Cardinals and Santa Claus wear red & white.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The reason Joseph is the problem is that his defense is a problem. There's no excuse for the missed communicatons and penalties - it's a reflection of bad coaching.

This game and most of the other losses were on the defense IMO. We cannot allow a long TD with one minute left in the half today. How many times as the opposition scored right after we score this year. Way to many.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score

Like I said if you want to blame those things on the DC then so be it. I understand. It’s easier to blame 1 guy than it is to blame 11.

I just feel like making a scapegoat out of the DC isn’t going to change the fact that the Players on D are sorely lacking in talent at each level, as well as being prone to making mental errors, and lack any kind of real football IQ.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You are to harsh to our guys because you dislike them and to cute to VJ.

After 10 games even de dumbest NFL player knows where he has to be unless it is unclear or the coaching is bad.

The soft zone is on VJ, and playing zone when your d is more suited to play man ... is also on VJ.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Imo it’s both.

As much as I believe PP is overrated he’s at least an average corner. Murphy has played well. Baker is up and down. Hicks is a pro. Jones is a stud. And Peter’s above average. The rest are likely awful to slightly below average. But I have yet to see Joseph outscheme his talent. His schemes seem to make the defense either exactly what the talent dictates or worse than their talent. So it’s a tale of two awful coincidences, mediocre to poor talent and a coordinator that fails to elevate the poor talent.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gunter has actually played well this year. Wouldn’t mind seeing him get an extension.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
You are to harsh to our guys because you dislike them and to cute to VJ.

After 10 games even de dumbest NFL player knows where he has to be unless it is unclear or the coaching is bad.

The soft zone is on VJ, and playing zone when your d is more suited to play man ... is also on VJ.

LOL. Sorry for being too harsh, yet being too cute? I thought I was simply giving my opinion on a professional football game being played by guys that are paid professionals, but I guess I’ll try to be less harsh...and less cute?

Oh and are you sure about that assessment that after 10 games even the dumbest player knows where he is supposed to be unless it is somehow the coaches fault?

How many games has Reddick played? I’m pretty sure it’s more than 10. How many different DCs has he played for? Also pretty sure he’s made many mistakes under every single one of them.

Darn it, there I go being too harsh again...

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
IMHO, it’s on both players and coaches. We’ve had a terrible defense under two different DCs now and Bettcher’s last D was no peach. Some of it is dumb personnel moves (i.e.: Reddick) and some of it is scheme (I.e.: soft zones). There’s also an issue of aptitude if you have players that keep making the same ******* mistakes.

Our knee jerk reaction is to fire the coach, but I’d offer that a working scheme is predicated on the available talent pool, which is piss poor at the moment save 2-3 defensive studs. They need a bunch of smart, physical freaks to fix the mess on D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose