Heat @ Suns Thursday 11-7-19 game thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the first half I started to pay more attention to who was playing defense on Butler but their seemed to be a lot of switching going on Booker, Bridges, Oubre etc. I'm guessing it was much the same in the first half.

Tell your wife she has great taste. I'm sure the movie was much better.

Yeah it was a good movie and despite it's age, it's the first time I've watched it.

Butler, when he's on, is a tough cover for anyone. He can bully and overpower most wings so it wouldn't have surprised me if he'd had a field day abusing the still-too-slight Bridges.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was a good movie and despite it's age, it's the first time I've watched it.

Butler, when he's on, is a tough cover for anyone. He can bully and overpower most wings so it wouldn't have surprised me if he'd had a field day abusing the still-too-slight Bridges.

In the first half Butler was 9-10 from the field and had a bunch of free throws as well maybe 10-10, I not exactly sure. I hesitate to put the blame on any one player because almost everyone had a crack at him. He is good but the Suns didn't didn't slow him down. Much the same with Goran in the second half.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about ready to close the chapter on the game but Kellan Olson makes some good points in his article but this stands out for me.

Here is an excerpt:

Phoenix (5-3) was poor in several categories where they’ve shined. They had a season-low 22 assists, gave up 22 points off turnovers and made only 11 three-pointers.

On the other end, Miami (6-2) feasted, shooting 55% from the field and 15-of-28 (54%) from deep.

“There just wasn’t a great disposition to stop the ball initially and they just kept playing downhill,” Williams said.

“They shot the ball well the entire game and played harder than us so it’s tough to beat a team like that,” Devin Booker said.

https://arizonasports.com/story/214...to-stop-heat-as-butler-dragic-unload-in-loss/

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
That Dragic stretch broke the Suns back. I call it the Sarver effect. Former players REALLY hate the Suns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It still pisses me off the Suns let Dragic go instead Bledsoe at the time. Just seeing him in another uniform still killing us after all these years and wondering what could have been if he stayed with the Suns...?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm about ready to close the chapter on the game but Kellan Olson makes some good points in his article but this stands out for me.

Here is an excerpt:

Phoenix (5-3) was poor in several categories where they’ve shined. They had a season-low 22 assists, gave up 22 points off turnovers and made only 11 three-pointers.

On the other end, Miami (6-2) feasted, shooting 55% from the field and 15-of-28 (54%) from deep.

“There just wasn’t a great disposition to stop the ball initially and they just kept playing downhill,” Williams said.

“They shot the ball well the entire game and played harder than us so it’s tough to beat a team like that,” Devin Booker said.

https://arizonasports.com/story/214...to-stop-heat-as-butler-dragic-unload-in-loss/

Yep, Suns had a bad game.

I’m interested to see how they bounce back Sunday. Monty’s first encounter with an uninspired loss.

Heat was embarrassed in Denver and they responded last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Kaminsky is definitely the whipping boy.
'Sad that Frank The Tank has come to represent unintentional 'tanking'. His nickname at University
of Wisconsin-Madison has become prophetic.

Against many of the teams in the league, one (or, even worse, two) weak positions in the rotation
(out of nine or ten) can ruin the accomplishments of the rest. 'Weakest links'.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
'Sad that Frank The Tank has come to represent unintentional 'tanking'. His nickname at University
of Wisconsin-Madison has become prophetic.

Against many of the teams in the league, one (or, even worse, two) weak positions in the rotation
(out of nine or ten) can ruin the accomplishments of the rest. 'Weakest links'.
Just wish the guy would shoot when he's open. He is absolutely a good shooter, but he is just about useless if he is going to pass on every open look.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wish the guy would shoot when he's open. He is absolutely a good shooter, but he is just about useless if he is going to pass on every open look.

The announcers were saying Kaminsky didn't want to shoot because his shot was off but he only put up two shots going 1-2. He was 1-2 from the free throw line as well.

Maybe his shots were not falling pregame. In any regard, Frank didn't look comfortable last night.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally started watching the Heat again. Interesting roster. The whole East seems to have improved.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The announcers were saying Kaminsky didn't want to shoot because his shot was off but he only put up two shots going 1-2. He was 1-2 from the free throw line as well.

Maybe his shots were not falling pregame. In any regard, Frank didn't look comfortable last night.
He hasn't looked comfortable for about 4 games now and oddly enough has also played poorly for pretty much all of those games. Saric has been struggling with his shot, but he is still firing them up and at least for him he is a solid defender so he brings something when he isn't making shots.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The weird thing is that kaminsky looked custom fit to this offense in the first couple games. Lots of little moves in the paint and flips and hooks. And then . . . SPLAT.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He hasn't looked comfortable for about 4 games now and oddly enough has also played poorly for pretty much all of those games. Saric has been struggling with his shot, but he is still firing them up and at least for him he is a solid defender so he brings something when he isn't making shots.

Agree. Out of the last 5 games the Grizzlies game was Kaminsky's best effort. I think someone said Kaminsky can be streaky but this is more than that.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Heat 6-35 from 3 tonight against the Lakers (w 2 mins to go). Where was that yesterday!!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
First real dud of the year. Will be interesting to see how Monty has them prepared to move forward from this.

In the meantime, I can't emphasize enough how useless Dario Saric and Cam Johnson are and how much of a mistake it was not to draft Clarke or Washington at 11.
Way too early to judge the Cam pick. He's going to get better and Clark or Washington don't have his touch or range. I agree that he should'nt be playing in close games against other teams starters though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way too early to judge the Cam pick. He's going to get better and Clark or Washington don't have his touch or range. I agree that he should'nt be playing in close games against other teams starters though.

it is too early to judge Cam, but we saw a lot of people say the same thing about Bridges last year that he was going to get better, that he was a great shooter in college... and this was after being sold the bill of goods that because Bridges was older, he was going to be ready to step in immediately and be able to make an impact because of his age. Which was the same bill of goods sold on the Cam pick.

so, yes, it's too early to judge, but I think it's early to assume he's going to get better also.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
it is too early to judge Cam, but we saw a lot of people say the same thing about Bridges last year that he was going to get better, that he was a great shooter in college... and this was after being sold the bill of goods that because Bridges was older, he was going to be ready to step in immediately and be able to make an impact because of his age. Which was the same bill of goods sold on the Cam pick.

so, yes, it's too early to judge, but I think it's early to assume he's going to get better also.

Right, the whole justification for taking Johnson was that he was ready to contribute now. If the Suns wanted another project, there were plenty of options with more upside.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Fair enough. Bridges is still adjusting to the system a bit. He's really out there guarding the best scorer other then C. That's job 1. Job two is slashing more to the basket and finishing then taking an open jumper if it's there. He needs to show better consistency at both.

https://theathletic.com/1357814/201...vering-his-focus-and-comfort-level-in-year-2/

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Bridges is one of my favorite players on the roster. I absolutely love good defenders, and Bridges is definitely a good defender, but he has got to start doing other thing. On offense, he looks like Dragan Bender right now, and that has to change.

As far as Cam goes, I like that he is shooting the ball. He has to do more, but he is at least shooting the ball without hesitation, so I am sure those are going to start going in.

Suns need both of these guys to start producing, especially from the three-point land. Current second unit is weak, especially with Baynes having to start. Suns are better than last year, obviously, but outside of Tyler Johnson, the bench has not been contributing. Booker, Oubre, Baynes, and Rubio need some help, especially since two of those guys are not really natural scorers. Suns need 2-3 other rotation players to produce something if they want to win. TJ has been playing well enough, but Saric, Kaminsky, Bridges, Cam Johnson, and Carter have to do better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Cam, I like the kid, but I really wish we'd drafted Clarke. He is a stud. I thought for sure we were taking him too when it got to us.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sorry, but Cam just isn't an NBA player. He clearly just doesn't have the physical tools to keep up. It's really no different than having a WNBA sharpshooter try to compete in the NBA. (And FYI, for example, Elena Delle Donne can score at will in the WNBA, is a fantastic player and has NBA guard height...and she would be eaten alive in the NBA.)

Sorry, but Cam was a tailor made bust the moment he was picked.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Cam, I like the kid, but I really wish we'd drafted Clarke. He is a stud. I thought for sure we were taking him too when it got to us.

Especially with Oubre and Bridges at small forward unless the Suns thought they lose Oubre in free agency.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Especially with Oubre and Bridges at small forward unless the Suns thought they lose Oubre in free agency.

Even so, they could have signed Doug McDermott for the MLE or Nik Stauskas for even less. Both are basically the same player as Cam.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Cam will get his shot going and when he does everyone will forget this short stretch of games to start his career. He has for the most part been decent on the defensive end and that was what I was most worried about. Not too worried about the rest as he is a good shooter and has a good feel of the game on offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave