TNF: Raiders-Chargers

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still say winning (even losing) a SB is better than never having played in one. If you can’t win the big games you are going to suffer in comparison.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I still say winning (even losing) a SB is better than never having played in one. If you can’t win the big games you are going to suffer in comparison.
I dunno. Hard for me to feel that way when in Rivers' 15-year career up to this point, the AFC has been represented by only 4 QBs. Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Flacco.

Hard to get there when your team as a whole is stuck facing off against teams that were that dominant over the years (with the knowledge that Manning was on 2 teams, but still). It's pretty astounding to think about.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember that one time Phillip River played in the AFCCG with a torn acl.

that is all I got.:(

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt's been to 3 Superbowls winning one. Set playoff records in passing. How has Rivers done in playoffs?

Marino has won 0 as well and still is a better QB as well. Please don't use the tired Super Bowl wins as the ultimate gauge of a QBs success.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Kurt's been to 3 Superbowls winning one. Set playoff records in passing. How has Rivers done in playoffs?
Kurt did most of his damage for the Rams. This is about what you do for the team that drafts you, not their success on another roster. Are the Chargers bragging that they drafted Brees, and he won a Super Bowl after they let him go? Nah...

Would we be ecstatic if Kyler Murray ended up in the top ten of relevant QB stats, was a pro bowler for 8 of his 15 years, and brought us to the playoffs six times in his career, even without a Super Bowl win? If you don't say hell yes... then I don't get it. Knowing year-to-year that you have the most important position in football locked down is pretty awesome.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would argue he was better than Warner.
You would lose that argument amongst many people giving their opinion based on a simple "yes or no" lol. Warner threw interceptions just like every other QB but he threw to spots, knew where the WR was supposed to be. He was smarter than Rivers & didn't make as many throw it up for grab passes as he does.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You would lose that argument amongst many people giving their opinion based on a simple "yes or no" lol. Warner threw interceptions just like every other QB but he threw to spots, knew where the WR was supposed to be. He was smarter than Rivers & didn't make as many throw it up for grab passes as he does.

So why does he have a higher career INT rate?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
@Cardsfaninlouky - not only that, but why did this supposed "smarter" QB get cut by two teams, compared to the guy who is the reason that Drew Brees - another HOF QB - got run out of town?

And I'll repeat... it's what the guy does for your team, not what he did for someone else. Emmitt Smith would be the greatest Cardinals runningback of all time if we counted his years with Dallas, but unfortunately, they mean nothing for us.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
@Cardsfaninlouky - not only that, but why did this supposed "smarter" QB get cut by two teams, compared to the guy who is the reason that Drew Brees - another HOF QB - got run out of town?

And I'll repeat... it's what the guy does for your team, not what he did for someone else. Emmitt Smith would be the greatest Cardinals runningback of all time if we counted his years with Dallas, but unfortunately, they mean nothing for us.
He got cut by the Rams because of Mike Martz *******. He thought the backup (his name escapes me right now) was better? Boy was he wrong. He got fired a few yrs later so there is that. Kurt Warner didn't fit in Tom Coughlins scheme with the Giants is why he got cut, that an Eli Manning. He obviously had something left in the tank or we wouldn't have made it to the SB. Yeah, he didn't make the dumb throws like Rivers, so yeah, he is smarter.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's easy. He played for the Rams "greatest show on turf" teams that threw the ball a whole lot. He's going to have a higher interception percentage throwing the ball that many times. Rivers doesn't throw the ball near as much.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivers was the consolation prize in the Manning family decision to not be drafted by the Chargers. Eli got 2 Super Bowls, but has sucked the last 3-4 years and carries a clipboard. In the meantime Rivers is still chucking the ball. Eli is automatic because of 2 SB rings. Rivers is debatable HOF. Weird.

Reaction score

I misunderstood then. I thought it was about careers.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He got cut by the Rams because of Mike Martz *******. He thought the backup (his name escapes me right now) was better? Boy was he wrong. He got fired a few yrs later so there is that. Kurt Warner didn't fit in Tom Coughlins scheme with the Giants is why he got cut, that an Eli Manning. He obviously had something left in the tank or we wouldn't have made it to the SB. Yeah, he didn't make the dumb throws like Rivers, so yeah, he is smarter.
Sounds like a lot of excuses for getting cut twice. Marc Bulger was simply outplaying him in the late Rams days, and they had to move on. Kurt was plainly bad with the Giants. I believe it is Kurt himself who admitted he had been struggling to grip the ball after a thumb injury, thus the switch to gloves.

That's easy. He played for the Rams "greatest show on turf" teams that threw the ball a whole lot. He's going to have a higher interception percentage throwing the ball that many times. Rivers doesn't throw the ball near as much.
Incorrect. Kurt's most attempts in his career was actually with us in the Super Bowl year, and it was 62 less attempts than Rivers' highest volume year. In fact, in his career, Kurt threw for 500 attempts in only 3 seasons, where Rivers has done it for 8 seasons, and an additional over 600.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I misunderstood then. I thought it was about careers.
I mean, even with careers I would still pick Rivers (assuming all things were equal and I wasn't guaranteed not to win a championship). Over a decade of not worrying about the position and being in it to win it every year, with a guy who hasn't missed a game since he took over at the position, vs. 5 good years out of 10 where the QB only played 3 full seasons?

KW is awesome for what he was, and a unique football story to be remembered for all time, but consistency wasn't exactly his callsign.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of excuses for getting cut twice. Marc Bulger was simply outplaying him in the late Rams days, and they had to move on. Kurt was plainly bad with the Giants. I believe it is Kurt himself who admitted he had been struggling to grip the ball after a thumb injury, thus the switch to gloves.

Incorrect. Kurt's most attempts in his career was actually with us in the Super Bowl year, and it was 62 less attempts than Rivers' highest volume year. In fact, in his career, Kurt threw for 500 attempts in only 3 seasons, where Rivers has done it for 8 seasons, and an additional over 600.
Kurt Warner has been to 3 Super Bowls & won one. There's a reason for that, it's because he's a better QB, period.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave