FO FILM ROOM: Kyler Murray and the Air Raid

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is a great article, shows both Kliff using nuances in concepts that are pretty common, and how Murray's ability as a thrower make some of these plays possible beyond what an average NFL qb could pull off with any regularity.

Everyone on this forum should read this article, it is that informative.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look at this block byt he running back

You must be registered for see images

I guess you cant post it here. There is a play where the RB in shotgun levels the LOLB on a chip block.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Love it.

As the last clip hinted at, San Francisco has not seen a quarterback this season who can compare to Murray's arm talent. Jameis Winston and Baker Mayfield are probably the next-best arm talents among the 49ers' opposing quarterbacks this season, and both of their arms pale in comparison to Murray's. Murray not only has a better arm in terms of raw power, but the ease and quickness at which Murray can summon that strength from any platform is only outclassed by elites such as Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.

Can a compliment get any better?

Murray also has the raw arm talent to hit throws that no other quarterback has been able to against the 49ers. Mahomes, Rodgers, healthy Cam Newton, and Russell Wilson are the only other quarterbacks in the league with the pinpoint placement and face-melting velocity to stick a deep crosser into a nonexistent window. A few other guys may be talented enough to stumble into a completion like this from time to time, but Murray is in an elite tier of arm talent in which you can say a throw of this difficulty is not beyond his limits.

I guess it can.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one too

Murray's growth through just nine games in Kingsbury's offense is as impressive as anyone could have hoped for, especially after Josh Rosen's stagnation last season. The Air Raid experiment has been a success to this point and pumped a refreshing sense of optimism back into the Cardinals organization. On behalf of anyone wishing for football to be as fun as possible, hopefully Murray and Kingsbury are only scratching the surface of what they are capable of together.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It's a match made in heaven.

We've got our future league MVP QB, and just as importantly, a coach who can't wait to use every bit of ability that Murray has in his diminutive 5' 10" frame.

Dammit, in the next five years, we're going to win a superbowl . I don't care if it harelips every ESPN analyst from here to Antarctica, we're getting a damn Lombardi trophy.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
It's a match made in heaven.

We've got our future league MVP QB, and just as importantly, a coach who can't wait to use every bit of ability that Murray has in his diminutive 5' 10" frame.

Dammit, in the next five years, we're going win a superbowl . I don't care if it harelips every ESPN analyst from here to Antarctica, we're getting a damn Lombardi trophy.

It may take 2 more years just to get to the playoffs. We have a long road in front of us. 2 drafts and 2 FA periods for sure to get this defense above average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It may take 2 more years just to get to the playoffs. We have a long road in front of us. 2 drafts and 2 FA periods for sure to get this defense above average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish you weren't right but I think you are azcardsfan. This year's pass defense is the worst we've had in the superbowl era. 50 years.

I don't think it can be fixed in one year, and it will keep us out of the post season in 2020. Defense will break our hearts a couple of times next year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just wish the execution was better in the redzone. Could have won 2 or 3 games more if it was better.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't think it can be fixed in one year, and it will keep us out of the post season in 2020.

maybe, but maybe not

the NFL changes pretty dramatically from year to year

look at the Cards offense from last year to this year -- from historically inept to competent in one season

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I just wish the execution was better in the redzone. Could have won 2 or 3 games more if it was better.

The good news is that teams that are bad in the red zone and on third down tend to dramatically improve the following year, because it becomes a singular offseason focus.

I anticiapte the 2020 Arizona Cardinals to be red zone animals next year, and that's one reason why it's important that we field a competent defense, because it could open the window for a playoff run.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The good news is that teams that are bad in the red zone and on third down tend to dramatically improve the following year, because it becomes a singular offseason focus.

I anticiapte the 2020 Arizona Cardinals to be red zone animals next year, and that's one reason why it's important that we field a competent defense, because it could open the window for a playoff run.
We might need a new DC for that to happen. But yes, with a good D next year we could be in the playoff picture, gosh, with a competent D we would be in the playoff picture or in the hunt this year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stat wise if a team reaches the 15 yard line ( red zone) then suffers a holding penalty that puts them back to the 25 and has to settle for a fg is that recorded as a failed red zone?

That has happen to us more than a couple of times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson