TNF: Raiders-Chargers

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rivers is easily the most overrated QB in my era. Bar none.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think Rivers is overrated, I think he's just been on some bad Chargers teams. Put Rivers with the Saints or Patriots & his achievements would be totally different. Imagine Brady or Brees playing their whole careers on those bad Chargers teams, results would be much the same as Rivers Imo. Trent Dilfer won a SB with the Ravens, Trent bleeping Dilfer lol. That was because of their defense obviously. More QB's look like busts because of bad players around them & bad coaching mainly while a few are just total busts period & all hype (Ryan Leaf)

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rivers, Ryan, Stafford are all over rated if winning the SB is the criteria, and it should probably be. . .

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Rivers is overrated, I think he's just been on some bad Chargers teams. Put Rivers with the Saints or Patriots & his achievements would be totally different. Imagine Brady or Brees playing their whole careers on those bad Chargers teams, results would be much the same as Rivers Imo. Trent Dilfer won a SB with the Ravens, Trent bleeping Dilfer lol. That was because of their defense obviously. More QB's look like busts because of bad players around them & bad coaching mainly while a few are just total busts period & all hype (Ryan Leaf)
Rivers has had a solid amount of good-to-great Charger teams & played like s*** when the game has mattered the most.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rivers has had a solid amount of good-to-great Charger teams & played like s*** when the game has mattered the most.
Maybe, but alot of those Chargers teams were also bad with bad coaches (Mike McCoy) he's at the very least middle of the pack in the NFL right now. Has he made some boneheaded throws? Of course he has but QB's that throw alot all do for the most part.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Saved yet again from pick in red zone. Old man Rivers making Harris look like Night Train Lane

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Man, you just hate statistically successful QBs that have no control over their awful defenses or kickers. Rivers is a surefire hall-of-famer.

Rivers has been pretty much the most cursed QB I've ever watched.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, you just hate statistically successful QBs that have no control over their awful defenses or kickers. Rivers is a surefire hall-of-famer.

Rivers has been pretty much the most cursed QB I've ever watched.
I don’t hate Philip Rivers. I just think he’s overrated. He has control over how he plays & he has played bad in every game his team has lost, so he’s not innocent in his teams’ losses. That’s a fact. He’s a sure-fire hall-of-very good. That’s it.

& no, that “most cursed” QB would be Matt Ryan.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Philip Rivers still gets excuses people would get mad Kyler getting for if he got those same excuses.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivers is so overrated. Careless with turnovers. Holds the ball way too long. Zero dual threat

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guy was throwing bombs on every play despite having a minute left with 3 timeouts.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don’t hate Philip Rivers. I just think he’s overrated. He has control over how he plays & he has played bad in every game his team has lost, so he’s not innocent in his teams’ losses. That’s a fact. He’s a sure-fire hall-of-very good. That’s it.

& no, that “most cursed” QB would be Matt Ryan.
Man, I don't know if you even watch other teams sometimes. Rivers is just outside the top 10 for all-time 4th quarter comebacks. He's had some awesome moments. He's older now, and of course isn't on the top of his game, but he's still better than anything we've ever had in AZ.

Philip Rivers still gets excuses people would get mad Kyler getting for if he got those same excuses.
Rivers has been a fantastic player for more than a decade. KM is a rookie who deserves praise for a solid year thus far, but hasn't proven anything yet. Rivers deserves the benefit of the doubt.

...That said, tonight was a bad game for him. They should have run the ball on almost every play.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, I don't know if you even watch other teams sometimes. Rivers is just outside the top 10 for all-time 4th quarter comebacks. He's had some awesome moments. He's older now, and of course isn't on the top of his game, but he's still better than anything we've ever had in AZ.
This might be the biggest irony of all ironies. Wow.

“He’s better than anything we’ve ever had in AZ”. That’s your favorite thing to say & I have no clue why like that should stop one from criticizing said player. Regardless, it’s false.

Rivers has been a fantastic player for more than a decade. KM is a rookie who deserves praise for a solid year thus far, but hasn't proven anything yet. Rivers deserves the benefit of the doubt.

...That said, tonight was a bad game for him. They should have run the ball on almost every play.
Only thing Rivers has proven to do is choke when the big game is on the line despite having great, even superior talent to his draft peers.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

“He’s better than anything we’ve ever had in AZ”. That’s your favorite thing to say & I have no clue why like that should stop one from criticizing said player. Regardless, it’s false.

Only thing Rivers has proven to do is choke when the big game is on the line despite having great, even superior talent to his draft peers.

I don’t remember him choking in playoff games besides the Jets game. The Jets then went on to beat the 14 win Patriots with Mark Sanchez.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I only said it because you seem to say it to me all the time. I'm completely unsure of who you think is actually a good QB in this league, because it seems to be exclusively guys with impeccable coaching and complementary defenses/rosters/kickers.

Hopefully Kyler Murray is the guy to change this, but Arizona has never had a QB that has put us in the hunt year-to-year, anything but someone else's retread. I don't know how you can say we've had better than a guy in the top 10 of passing yards and passing TDs in NFL history, who has wildly outperformed Kurt Warner's touchdown production in multiple seasons. Are you really picking any AZ Cardinals QB over Philip Rivers?

Criticize all you want, I guess, but wow, I really wonder what's supposed to keep a QB from being overrated if Rivers is that bad.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He's not better than anything we've ever had in Arizona. Guy by the name of Kurt Warner has something to say about that lol. Warner got us to within a perfect pass of a SB win, Rivers hasn't got there yet.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I only said it because you seem to say it to me all the time. I'm completely unsure of who you think is actually a good QB in this league, because it seems to be exclusively guys with impeccable coaching and complementary defenses/rosters/kickers.

Hopefully Kyler Murray is the guy to change this, but Arizona has never had a QB that has put us in the hunt year-to-year, anything but someone else's retread. I don't know how you can say we've had better than a guy in the top 10 of passing yards and passing TDs in NFL history, who has wildly outperformed Kurt Warner's touchdown production in multiple seasons. Are you really picking any AZ Cardinals QB over Philip Rivers?

Criticize all you want, I guess, but wow, I really wonder what's supposed to keep a QB from being overrated if Rivers is that bad.

Solar7, you're more knowledgeable about the rest of the NFL than me, I'll say that up front.

And this idea that great players "elevate" the guys around them is really nebulous. It's really hard to quantify or measure.

But I would take Warner (and I guess were just talking about ARZ, post GSOT Kurt) over Rivers because I honestly believe that KW made Fitz and Boldin and Hightower, Edge, Mike Gandy Deuce Lutui, etc. better players when he was on the field. I think Philip Rivers lacks this same ability.

I don't know how KW did it. If he inspired his teammates, or if it was his decision making, or if he was "clutch", or what. But my point is that, if you put Phillip Rivers in place of Kurt on the 2008 ARZ roster, we don't make it to the superbowl.

KW made the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Rivers? Not so much.

But, I'll let it go at that, and will give you the last word if you'd like it sir.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solar7, you're more knowledgeable about the rest of the NFL than me, I'll say that up front.

And this idea that great players "elevate" the guys around them is really nebulous. It's really hard to quantify or measure.

But I would take Warner (and I guess were just talking about ARZ, post GSOT Kurt) over Rivers because I honestly believe that KW made Fitz and Boldin and Hightower, Edge, Mike Gandy Deuce Lutui, etc. better players when he was on the field. I think Philip Rivers lacks this same ability.

I don't know how KW did it. If he inspired his teammates, or if it was his decision making, or if he was "clutch", or what. But my point is that, if you put Phillip Rivers in place of Kurt on the 2008 ARZ roster, we don't make it to the superbowl.

But, I'll let it go at that, and will give you the last word if you'd like it sir.
Warner under pressure would still deliver accurate strikes all over the field. Rivers last night alone was erratic and terrible throws all over the place.

But, its one game.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I'm not meaning to bicker with anyone, I just feel like people are wearing rose colored glasses... Kurt was awesome that year for a stretch and was red hot, but at the end of the day has 6 Cardinals playoff appearances as compared to Rivers' 11, and Kurt lost more games here than he won, whereas Rivers is 122-96-0.

To me, if you're saying Kurt's 1 year playoff hot streak is enough to make him better than Philip Rivers, you'd better be affording the same praise to guys like Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick, Nick Foles, and Jared Goff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave