DJ is back - but we got Drake

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I can only imagine what a DC might be thinking with DJ & Kenyan both on field while accounting for K1 sprinkled in with those Isabella decoys :billthecat:

Sure we could come out flat for an east coast road game. That's definitely possible.

But against a dreadful TB pass defense, this is also a chance to for the offense to put it all together. Maybe get into the 40s.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suddenly putting both Johnson and Drake on the field at the same time isn't really doable if the playbook isn't designed for both to be on the field at the same time and when was the last time you saw both Johnson and Edmonds in the backfield at the same time this season?. They are not going to rewrite the playbook just to add another RB onto the field. In all likely hood Johnson and Drake will split time at RB. Asking Johnson to suddenly be a slot receiver when he hasn't been one isn't realistic either. He doesn't know the routes the slot receiver needs to know and the times he has been in the slot are few and limited to the ones designed for him in that role.

we ran 2rb sets with those two a bit in previous games before Djs injury.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much in the running game. And he is still a running back, right?

That kind of production is vital to success regardless of what position they play IMO. If all he does is catch passes out of the backfield and it means lots of yards and touchdowns...sure.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think y’all read me wrong
Love DJ but he hasn’t produced in years
Now with drake he’s feeling the heat and I hope he can return...I highly doubt it...his speed is 1/2 of Drake and he’s had 1/3 the heart drake or Edmonds has shown

They gotta use em both now, but I’m not tied to DJ like o was when the year started
I can see his as past tense very soon
DJ has to come from the backfield on wheel routes or from motion, he's too good at catching passes & is a nightmare for a LB'er to cover. The TD catch he made against the Lions & the big gainer on the final drive against the Bengals proved his value this season for me. Drake had a good game against SF & earned more touches. Chase is hurt so right now it's a 2 headed monster, when he gets back, they could all line up in a diamond formation & run many exotic plays. Imagine the diamond formation with jet sweep motions, the plays could get very confusing for a defense right there. They all need to play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to like having two having two quality running backs in the backfield. The defense can't ignore the fake handoff.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
is DJ a RB? - his stats and the eye ball test say no ...he's a good pass catcher out of the backfield. He need A LOT of space, he can't run past anyone with that speed and he falls on first contact

Edmonds and Drake ARE actually RB's who go North and take contact while moving forward.

If DJ wasn't being paid $10 mill a season this year AND next I highly doubt he'd be the 1st string RB.

We will see Sunday - my money is on Drake showing he's heads and shoulders better than DJ - that is unless Keim and Mr. B force KK to run DJ all day

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know why we have to like player x and hate player Y.

Can't we appreciate both?

Appreciate - not sure what there's to appreciate when watching DJ on the field so far. As a guy that's paid as the #3 RB in the league and plays like the 35th...there's a disconnect.
Watch him Sunday...I mean really watch him and look for the following

Compare DJ's speed vs. Drake

Compare DJ's decision making vs Drake after they get the ball. You'll see DJ waits to see if a hole opens up and Drake plows through where the play is designed

Compare DJ and Drake catching the ball

lastly

Compare DJ and Drake breaking tackles - you'll see DJ goes down on first contact ALWAYS....even if a hand hits his thigh ...he drops down on his own whereas Drake will plow through guys and get to the next level

After Sunday come back and report what you saw

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Appreciate - not sure what there's to appreciate when watching DJ on the field so far. As a guy that's paid as the #3 RB in the league and plays like the 35th...there's a disconnect.

Compare DJ's decision making vs Drake after they get the ball. You'll see DJ waits to see if a hole opens up and Drake plows through where the play is designed

lastly

Compare DJ and Drake breaking tackles - you'll see DJ goes down on first contact ALWAYS....even if a hand hits his thigh ...he drops down on his own whereas Drake will plow through guys and get to the next level

When your chargers move to london you're going with them right?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drake is in the same spot as I wanted to see Edmonds. More touches in between the tackles and use dj in more passing situations..

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Johnson is averaging 3.9 ypc on 77 attempts

Drake 4.6 ypc on 62 attempts (7.3 on 15 attempts vs. the niners).

Edmonds 5.1 on 58 attempts.

Weird.

Generally, DJ has probably gotten the most carries in traditional run downs (thus the defense would be keying on him).

But man Chase just torched the giants as the every down back. Does DJ record 3 20 yard + TD runs in that game if he stays in? Even if he's at 100%?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DJ is our 2nd or 3rd best receiver so if he can play, you play him.

Play them both. Drake was hot last week, we can use DJ as a receiver and short yardage guy.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm going to say it, between Drake and DJ, they will have over 350 all purpose yards.
that would be awesome. I think the minimum number those 2 need to combine for to secure a Cards W is around 225 all purpose.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I think DJ is finally feeling the heat with Drakes performance

Hopefully he steps up - or I hope they put DJ to bed

At this point I see NO reason to start DJ over Drake

Drake had an AMAZING, again AMAZING performance vs. a stout 9ers team. He was breaking tackles, running 2X's as fast as DJ and looks like a REAL RB.

I have NO ISSUE sending DJ to pasture other than Keim's contract he gave him

Feel the heat DJ - feel it!

I'll take Edmonds and Drake as our 1 and 2 punch next year and be happy as can be....then build the O line.

Some are acting like Drake is the second coming of Walter Payton. There is a reason he was available for a fifth round pick. He had a great game, but let’s pump the brakes on this.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some are acting like Drake is the second coming of Walter Payton. There is a reason he was available for a fifth round pick. He had a great game, but let’s pump the brakes on this.

Yep. Way too soon to crown him. He's been the definition of inconsistent in his relatively short career. I hope he continues to perform well, but let's not forget that the Niners didn't game plan for him at all. That being said, wow, it was fun watching a Cardinal RB play with attitude.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lastly

The fact that you seem to think your 2nd comment is good for Drake and bad for DJ concerns me. Patience at RB is a huge deal. yes it's great to follow the blocking and hit the right hole but the truly elite RB's are the ones that find the hole no matter where it is. DJ in his great year was really good at that, now he just seems to have no suddenness so even when he does find a cutback or a different hole it takes too long to get there.

And catching the ball look Drake looks to be good at that but DJ is one of the best receiving backs in the NFL and has been since we drafted him, he is probably our 3rd best receiver.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose