Report: NFL, Chargers interested in team possibly moving to London

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chargers to LA always seemed like a bad move. It seemed like they would have been the better choice to move to Las Vegas.

The logistics of a London team seem difficult without affecting the quality of the product due to the travel. If they started around 2pm ET (7pm London) then it might reduce that.

Maybe the NFL is open again to an incursion into Canada. Put the Chargers up in Vancouver and they can stay in the AFC west. It's population is as large as Vegas and Seattle and they already have a nice stadium, while small is still about the size of Soldier Field. I'm told NFL is already pretty popular up there despite the CFL being the mainstay and likely less NFL games getting network broadcasts.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My guess is, after 5-8 years of crashing and burning in SoCal...And with the Raiders living happily in Vegas, with no hope for return...The NFL will finally get the memo...That Socal does not give 2 chits about any team that isn't the Raiders... I live in between San Diego and Corona (Temecula) and driving to Glendale, AZ is an easier drive for me.

I guess if the Patriots packed up and went to Inglewood before Belichick and Brady retire, they would do ok for a season maybe, But as soon as the first 6-10 season rolls out.... *crickets*

Maybe the Cowboys or Packers...Hell, even the Bears might make it in SoCal...But I don't think any of the above are looking for a new stomping ground.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is, after 5-8 years of crashing and burning in SoCal...And with the Raiders living happily in Vegas, with no hope for return...The NFL will finally get the memo...That Socal does not give 2 chits about any team that isn't the Raiders...

That's so odd to me, being from SoCal. I never respected the Raiders move there because they are a NorCal team. Screw em. Most of the people and fans I knew felt that way too. It was just the rougher edges that embraced the Raiders and all that comes with the Silver and Black.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's so odd to me, being from SoCal. I never respected the Raiders move there because they are a NorCal team. Screw em. Most of the people and fans I knew felt that way too. It was just the rougher edges that embraced the Raiders and all that comes with the Silver and Black.

I know dozens of SoCal born Raider Fans. Most of them are also Laker Fans. Seems a tad bit judgmental on the fan base they had there.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid Stupid Idea! Five hour difference to the East coast and eight hours to the West coast. Air travel is 3500 miles to the East coast and 5500 miles to the West coast. Eight hour travel time to the East coast and add an extra 6 hours to the West coast so a team would be traveling 14 hours just to get to a game on the West coast. No matter which way you are traveling a team would need an entire travel day and need to adjust to the time difference. The Chargers would have to do this multiple times during the season unless they clump their away games together and then that adds finding places to practice between games and I bet the players would hate the idea of living out of suitcases for 3 or 4 consecutive weeks.
Phoenix to London flight is only about 11hours

And that is on a commercial flight not a charter

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised they have direct flights over that distance considering how airlines nowadays try to pack planes to the gills and that is usually done by having plane changes. Even at that it's still a long time to be on a plane.
Not too bad I 1st class quite nice in fact

Note on airmiles not cash