The Suns next big move

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's why I've come around to saying Baynes as a Twin Tower Power Forward alongside Ayton,
and divide up the offensive and defensive responsibilities according to their skills for 32 minutes.

I get the impression that if anyone can do it, Monty can.

I just don't want Ayton camped out at the three point line and chucking outside jumpers all game while not mixing it up inside and not taking advantage of his rebounding and interior offense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I just don't want Ayton camped out at the three point line and chucking outside jumpers all game while not mixing it up inside and not taking advantage of his rebounding and interior offense.
No one is advocating that. Clearly, Baynes is a 3-point shooter and Ayton is not.

In fact, in that scenario, Baynes setting picks at the 3-point line, then being there
to take a pass is better than Ayton, who has not shown skill in working his way to
a good shooting position in the paint.

But Baynes guarding Centers and Ayton guarding Power Forwards on defense
sounds like the best combination.

That is why I would like to see them playing 32 minutes alongside each other,
as I reconsider it, with two backups at C and PF as being better than Baynes
being Ayton's backup at C and not being on the court at the same time.

Eight minutes to start the game. The final eight minutes of the 2nd quarter.
Eight minutes to start the 3rd quarter. The final eight minutes of the game.

The two of them going against starters all game at two positions. That is strength.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No one is advocating that. Clearly, Baynes is a 3-point shooter and Ayton is not.

In fact, in that scenario, Baynes setting picks at the 3-point line, then being there
to take a pass is better than Ayton, who has not shown skill in working his way to
a good shooting position in the paint.

But Baynes guarding Centers and Ayton guarding Power Forwards on defense
sounds like the best combination.

That is why I would like to see them playing 32 minutes alongside each other,
as I reconsider it, with two backups at C and PF as being better than Baynes
being Ayton's backup at C and not being on the court at the same time.

Eight minutes to start the game. The final eight minutes of the 2nd quarter.
Eight minutes to start the 3rd quarter. The final eight minutes of the game.

The two of them going against starters all game at two positions. That is strength.

If used properly, I could see that working, and I could stomach Saric as a back-up 4 and Kaminsky as a back-up 5 in that scenario. Long term, though, I would like to see an upgrade at power forward. While he has held up spectacularly thus far starting in Ayton's place, something still tells me Baynes is ideally suited to be the primary back-up 4/5.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Good point. When Ayton returns, Baynes will be our best Power Forward and able to cover Ayton's weakness in the post.

As I previously suggested, perhaps a predominant 3-man rotation at C/PF with a backup standing by might work.
Best way would be to Start Ayton and Saric and have Baynes be the first to sub in for either one depending on how the game is playing out.

Kaminsky can get extended minutes when other guys are in foul trouble or on the occasions that he comes out and gets it going on offense. Otherwise he is just too much of a liability.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Next BIG move should be trade and a number 1 and 3 2nd rounds picks or possibly 2 1st round picks to the Warriors for Eric Paschall.

Suns need a young big man that can shoot score and rebound off the bench. Paschall can provide that. He could serve as scoring punch of the bench.

Suns have a deep young squad there is no room for future picks to play. Hopefully, with the team playing so well, they will be a playoff team going forward.

A combination of Ayton and Baynes starting and Paschall and Frank as backups.
Paschall being the first player off the bench for Baynes.

Ayton
Baynes
Paschall
Frank
Dario
Cam Johnson (SF)

Suns would have the best shooting big man depth in the NBA.
Along with Ayton.

Right now the Sun's biggest weakness is consistent scoring from the PF spot.
Give up a few future picks to solve the problem now let the team grow together.

They can then let Dario go and spend money on Baynes and the upcoming free agents without spending cap room on first-round picks that may not contribute to a winning team.

Paschall looks to have a Paul Milsap type of game which was pretty good for a handful of years.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
I understand but I think he can avg 16 and 5 coming off the bench for the next few years.
giving the Suns a fourth scoring option behind Booker, Ayton, and Oubre. The picks from here on out if suns make the playoffs will be G Leauge type talent.

Wow. I think I want to give Paschall a few more games before I give up that kind of haul for him.
nk

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Baynes would prove that he can play with Ayton more or less maintaining his effectiveness, I would have no problem to throw a 25 mil./2 years contract at him, sign-and-trade Saric, draft the BPA, sign a backup PF for the MLE, re-sign Carter and call it an off-season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next BIG move should be trade and a number 1 and 3 2nd rounds picks or possibly 2 1st round picks to the Warriors for Eric Paschall.

Suns need a young big man that can shoot score and rebound off the bench. Paschall can provide that. He could serve as scoring punch of the bench.

Suns have a deep young squad there is no room for future picks to play. Hopefully, with the team playing so well, they will be a playoff team going forward.

Ayton
Baynes
Paschall
Frank
Dario
Cam Johnson (SF)

Along with Ayton.

They can then let Dario go and spend money on Baynes and the upcoming free agents without spending cap room on first-round picks that may not contribute to a winning team.

Paschall looks to have a Paul Milsap type of game which was pretty good for a handful of years.

Giving up multiple 1st's for a player who is playing well on a team that sucks right now is incredibly short sighted. I like Paschall and think he could be a good player in time but the key thing there is in time. The list of players who looked pretty good for a week in the NBA is long and filled with lots of guys who were Suns the last few years. If we're going to trade multiple 1st's for someone then that someone needs to prove he can play in the league and Paschall really hasn't done that.

To address the other idea that the Suns picks hold no value because they won't play is a bit ridiculous. You're making the case for a player who has played in the NBA for 2 weeks, maybe 3 now, and you don't believe anyone from next year's draft can do the same? You're thinking about adding depth now and that's not a bad thing but I wouldn't give up much more than a pair of 2nd's for Paschall, maybe a protected 1st that turns into a pair of 2nd's. There will be room to play a pick or two, precisely where you pencil in Paschall.

If the Suns start throwing away their picks then their current success won't be sustained. We saw a young Suns team get old with Nash. Amare, Barbosa, Marion, and others were all young when we signed Nash. They got older and we didn't draft anyone to take over for them and saw how that turned out.

Seriously, I can't get over the idea of projecting that sort of success for a 2nd round pick just 2 1/2 weeks into the season and his career. How many other players have you liked early that turned out well? How many 2nd picks? I would rather gamble our picks on a proven, but overpaid, veteran to help this team right now than tossing them out there for a 2nd round pick who was thrust into a large role on a team decimated by injuries and is also headed towards the top of the draft and bottom of the conference.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand but I think he can avg 16 and 5 coming off the bench for the next few years.
giving the Suns a fourth scoring option behind Booker, Ayton, and Oubre. The picks from here on out if suns make the playoffs will be G Leauge type talent.

nk
This is a huge over reaction to a few good games. Young players can play out of their minds for short spurts, especially when gifted minutes because of injury.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Paschall would be our 2020 pick but he would already be on the team with a year of exp.

He would also allow the suns to let Dario or frank walk freeing up salary. He is a younger player so he fits well with the Sun's timeline. The 2nd round picks can be covered with G Leauge players.

Suns already may have the pg of the future in Ty or Jalen.

SG Booker, Bridges (need depth here should go with a vet F/A)
SF Kelly, Bridges, Cam
PF NOTHING (Cam but too small to play the bulk of mins there)
C Ayton and Baynes

So our 2020 pick should be a PF or a backup SG.

What mins does a rookie mid rid pick have?

He also played with Bridges on a champ college team and is ready to play NOW.
He also fits well with the suns giving them a shooting big man for spacing with Ayton and Booker.

It has been a very short period which he has played but I am thinking of salary cap and team needs NOW not hoping a low tier pick will come in and help a young team with playoff goals.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
I see it as playing with your 2020 pick in 2019 giving the team a headstart on progress.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton
Baynes
Paschall
Frank
Dario
Cam Johnson (SF)

Along with Ayton.

I like what I have seen of Eric Paschall over a few games but I agree with others, it's way too early to throw that kind of draft capital around. He has looked very good early in the season so I see why you are excited about him.

In regard to second round picks, the Suns traded their 2020 and 2021 second round picks to Memphis in the Josh Jackson trade.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
If the Suns start throwing away their picks then their current success won't be sustained. We saw a young Suns team get old with Nash. Amare, Barbosa, Marion, and others were all young when we signed Nash. They got older and we didn't draft anyone to take over for them and saw how that turned out.

That was all bleeping D'Antoni. He didn't want to have to coach or play rookies, so he dumped draft picks for basically nothing for pretty much most of the years he had control here... and many of them were really good picks that turned into more than a few good players who could have really helped in both the playoff runs at the time, as well as being building blocks for the future.

A lot of the misery of the last ten years should get laid at the feet of D'Antoni and his foolish obstinacy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was all bleeping D'Antoni. He didn't want to have to coach or play rookies, so he dumped draft picks for basically nothing for pretty much most of the years he had control here... and many of them were really good picks that turned into more than a few good players who could have really helped in both the playoff runs at the time, as well as being building blocks for the future.

A lot of the misery of the last ten years should get laid at the feet of D'Antoni and his foolish obstinacy.

Sadly trading away draft picks became a way of saving money as well, e.g., Kurt Thomas.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do think D'Antoni deserves the majority of the blame for that but I also think a fair bit should fall on Bryan Colangelo, Steve Kerr, and Robert Sarver for not having the backbone to tell him what his job was.

After D'Antoni left it wasn't like a youth movement started either. It took a while to get back to it, just about until McD was hired.

D'Antoni started it, for sure, but everyone seemed too happy to appease him and then continue that line of thinking.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK guys. Mock me if you like. The final piece to the Suns' dynasty run is Anthony Davis. We need to make it happen, and it is not an impossible idea.

1. He is the final piece at the position of need. He plays D and offense. He is the perfect fit for Book, Ayton, Rubio, and Oubre.
2. He is a young star on an old roster. One or two injuries this year and the Lakers are done.
3. The Lakers gave up LOTS of assets to get AD, so their ability to build a post-LeBron roster around him will be very limited.
4. AD has a very close relationship with Monty Williams. He also shares a Kentucky connection with Book.
5. The Suns should be able to clear space to trade for him or sign him if they want.
6. While the Suns have been a laughingstock and FA joke for years, that is changing quickly. There is respect building quickly in the NBA.
7. AD has a player option for this summer.

If AD is more about the LA glamor than winning, he will stay in LA. Phoenix is a superior destination on all the other points. Either the trade deadline this year or the summer is the time to go for it.

AD should be our #1 target.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
OK guys. Mock me if you like. The final piece to the Suns' dynasty run is Anthony Davis. We need to make it happen, and it is not an impossible idea.

1. He is the final piece at the position of need. He plays D and offense. He is the perfect fit for Book, Ayton, Rubio, and Oubre.
2. He is a young star on an old roster. One or two injuries this year and the Lakers are done.
3. The Lakers gave up LOTS of assets to get AD, so their ability to build a post-LeBron roster around him will be very limited.
4. AD has a very close relationship with Monty Williams. He also shares a Kentucky connection with Book.
5. The Suns should be able to clear space to trade for him or sign him if they want.
6. While the Suns have been a laughingstock and FA joke for years, that is changing quickly. There is respect building quickly in the NBA.

If AD is more about the LA glamor than winning, he will stay in LA. Phoenix is a superior destination on all the other points. Either the trade deadline this year or the summer is the time to go for it.

He would be the ideal target for all of the reasons you say here...but I just can't see him leaving the Lakers given everything he pulled to get traded there in the first place, and I can't see him coming to the Suns given who his agent is...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Man that would be a ridiculously potent lineup on both ends of the floor.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He would be the ideal target for all of the reasons you say here...but I just can't see him leaving the Lakers given everything he pulled to get traded there in the first place, and I can't see him coming to the Suns given who his agent is...
I think given who his agent is, it makes even more sense. Rich Paul is the most opportunistic person on the planet. He has no sense of loyalty. However, if AD starts thinking that RP rates LeBron's interests over AD's things could sour too.

LeBron's history with Kyrie shows it could happen.

Monty Williams and James Jones soften the Sarver negative. Even then, I think RPaul's biggest problem with the Suns was McD and he is gone.

Just read this. Look at AD's and RPaul's comments. There is wiggle room here.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...onvince-anthony-davis-to-stay-in-la-long-term

Just google "Will Anthony Davis stay in LA?" and look at the article titles.

The Suns are at a point where they can make a pitch to ONE free agent player that signing with the Suns not only makes the team a perennial contender, but potentially an NBA dynasty. That is a powerful argument and the Suns have not been in this position since they traded for Charles Barkley.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed.

I could see him forcing his way out in a few years if LeBron falls apart and retires, but I cannot picture him leaving before then.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think given who his agent is, it makes even more sense. Rich Paul is the most opportunistic person on the planet. He has no sense of loyalty. However, if AD starts thinking that RP rates LeBron's interests over AD's things could sour too.

LeBron's history with Kyrie shows it could happen.

Monty Williams and James Jones soften the Sarver negative. Even then, I think RPaul's biggest problem with the Suns was McD and he is gone.

Just read this. Look at AD's and RPaul's comments. There is wiggle room here.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...onvince-anthony-davis-to-stay-in-la-long-term

Just google "Will Anthony Davis stay in LA?" and look at the article titles.

The Suns are at a point where they can make a pitch to ONE free agent player that signing with the Suns not only makes the team a perennial contender, but potentially an NBA dynasty. That is a powerful argument and the Suns have not been in this position since they traded for Charles Barkley.

Sadly, they were in this position in 2005, but instead of bringing in the piece to take them over the top, they let one of their core pieces go...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The situations are different but the Raptors gave up a lot to get Leonard. The difference is Leonard didn't want to go to the Raptors.

Anything is possible but it is probably a 2-3 seasons away if it happened.