Report: NFL, Chargers interested in team possibly moving to London

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The NFL would have to come to an agreement with the NFLPA for it to work. I actually don't think it's a big deal for the players; most of these guys are 22 - 28 and don't have deep family connections anyway.

I also don't worry much about cultivating a local UK fan base. It's like that with any expansion team or relocating team. It take a generation to put down roots for real — it's just happening with the Cards now. It's fine if 1/3 or 2/3 of the stadium is opposing fans for 5 years.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as I thought complete fake news

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The taxes could be an issue, NHL & MLB deal with this a little bit

As far as living there and drawing players, being rich in London would be pretty incredible - it is a fantastic city and not hard to navigate as an American

I think they would draw well and get good coverage

Travel is tougher, but the AFC East would be a good fit if you swapped out Miami.

You'd have NYC, Boston & Buffalo. Those flights aren't bad. Buffalo is a little longer at 9 hours, the other two are 6:30-7 hrs

The one long travel division game is offset by 3 that are very close.

NY, Philly, DC would be an even tighter group, but you would need to realign conferences and break Dallas away from their rivals - which wouldn't be supported

The chargers situation is poor. There is no interest, no market and they are playing in a fine stadium for fan experiences. Being a tenant of the Rams in a larger stadium isn't going to cure what ails them

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
They have flirted a little, but there was no interest when Buffalo played there

Part of the problem is that Toronto helps feed Buffalo and a Toronto team would hurt Buffalo.

Most of the other cities it would be a struggle with the numbers.

Someone mentioned Mexico, there you are limited to Mexico City - travel time isn't an issue, infrastructure would be more of a challenge

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I have always thought this.

There’s too much in Jacksonville now. The team is pretty relevant and the headquarters in Jacksonville now houses the wrestling company owned by Tony Kahn that is on TNT and produced by Warner Media. Just yesterday Shad was hinting at a new stadium in Jacksonville and only wanting one game a year in London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s too much in Jacksonville now. The team is pretty relevant and the headquarters in Jacksonville now houses the wrestling company owned by Tony Kahn that is on TNT and produced by Warner Media. Just yesterday Shad was hinting at a new stadium in Jacksonville and only wanting one game a year in London.

Three years ago, Shad was trying to buy Tottenham Hotspur and into the new stadium, now completed, which is the new home of the NFL in London. There is just too much $$$ to be made in Europe, writ large, for the NFL not to show up.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Three years ago, Shad was trying to buy Tottenham Hotspur and into the new stadium, now completed, which is the new home of the NFL in London. There is just too much $$$ to be made in Europe, writ large, for the NFL not to show up.

I agree the NFL will be in London I don’t think it will be the jags.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Why not a state that's never had an NFL team , a team in London means the players will want more money which means tickets will go up then TV rights then jerseys then....oh and guess who will be paying for that one way or another lol

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, would the league change it's name to the IFL? Currently it is the National Football League, but with a permanent team in another country...wouldn't the International Football League be more appropriate? :shrug: #justsaying

NHL and NBA didn't change and 1/3 of the original NHL teams weren't in the same country.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I agree with your point, but air travel doesn't work that way... great circle routes mean flying direct from London to Seattle takes under 10 hours, and London to L.A. is about 10 1/2 hours.

...dave
I'm actually surprised they have direct flights over that distance considering how airlines nowadays try to pack planes to the gills and that is usually done by having plane changes. Even at that it's still a long time to be on a plane.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised they have direct flights over that distance considering how airlines nowadays try to pack planes to the gills and that is usually done by having plane changes. Even at that it's still a long time to be on a plane.

I think every NFL team take a charter plane.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, would the league change it's name to the IFL? Currently it is the National Football League, but with a permanent team in another country...wouldn't the International Football League be more appropriate? :shrug: #justsaying
Nba didn’t.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Each team has their own plane.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
31 of 32 charter, the Patriots actually have 2 planes they own.

I drive by it all the time they house it at the airport in Rhode Island. It’s pretty crazy they leave them on the tarmac when the away teams fly in. They all stay in providence.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Why not a state that's never had an NFL team , a team in London means the players will want more money which means tickets will go up then TV rights then jerseys then....oh and guess who will be paying for that one way or another lol

Welcome to the NFL, Omaha.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lakers
Dodgers
Rams
Clippers
Kings
Angels
Ducks
Chargers

That’s the order of pro sports interest in LA right now lulz.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose