OT: Lakers vs Bulls game last night

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bulls were in full control. Then the Chicago Coach benched ALL the starters for the much of the quarter, and LA outscored Chicago by 25 in the 4th to win by 6

The Bulls are clearing tanking, and the tinfoil Suns fan part of me can't shake the feeling the NBA WANTS the Lakers to be the #1 seed.

That had to be the fishiest game I have seen in the NBA in awhile.

NOTE: Edited for accuracy

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bulls were in full control. Then the Chicago Coach benched ALL the starters for the entire 4th quarter, and LA outscored Chicago by 25 in the 4th to win by 6

The Bulls are clearing tanking, and the tinfoil Suns fan part of me can't shake the feeling the NBA WANTS the Lakers to be the #1 seed.

Funny who sportscenter failed to mention this.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bulls were in full control. Then the Chicago Coach benched ALL the starters for the entire 4th quarter, and LA outscored Chicago by 25 in the 4th to win by 6

Where did you read that they benched their starters for the whole 4th quarter? I can't find it anywhere.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bulls don't even have any vets, do they? I can't see why they would yank their starters like that. A starter, fine, but not all.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bulls' Jim Boylen Defends Playing Reserves During Lakers' 4th-Quarter Comeback

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...g-reserves-during-lakers-4th-quarter-comeback

He started subbing starters back in with 9:16 left in the game while they still had a lead. So, not the entire 4th quarter. #fakenews

I was going to say, I watched the game recap on Yahoo just now and their starters were clearly in the Lakers 4th quarter highlights. You can also view shot charts by quarter on there and they had taken shots as well. It's crazy how they appeared in video and managed to take shots despite being on the bench the whole quarter.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers-chicago-bulls-2019110504/

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All weren't back in until 6 minutes left, and lead was gone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we could trade for Markkanen and help them tank. :cool:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They were beating the "best" team in the league by 19 points when he sat all the starters. So I'm not sure the "trash" team excuse is valid here.

I’ll go with trash team and not Jim Boylen being in cahoots with Adam Silver to guarantee a Lakers win in November.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’ll go with trash team and not Jim Boylen being in cahoots with Adam Silver to guarantee a Lakers win in November.
"Cahoots with Adam Silver"? Really? NOBODY, let alone me, has even remotely said anything like that. It's certainly possible that the Bulls were outright tanking, but something this blatant should definitely not be allowed.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Interesting - radio was telling a different story this morning. That is what I get for trusting Phoenix Sports radio.

You gotta get Sirius for real sports news. The Phoenix clowns just report anything with an anti LA slant, whether it’s actually accurate or not.

Silver is a Stern henchman, and Stern hated the Lakers. The league isn’t doing LA any favors.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gotta get Sirius for real sports news. The Phoenix clowns just report anything with an anti LA slant, whether it’s actually accurate or not.

Silver is a Stern henchman, and Stern hated the Lakers. The league isn’t doing LA any favors.

The rest of your post is silly but you got this part right. They aren't supposed to do favors for any of the franchises.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
The rest of your post is silly but you got this part right. They aren't supposed to do favors for any of the franchises.

You are partially right as well. They aren’t supposed but the league does. Ewing/knicks, LeBron/cavs, Zion/pelicans come quickly to mind as examples. The rescinded Chris Paul Lakers trade was an active anti LA mandate

And Phoenix sports media is garbage .

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stern also allowed the famous Lakers garbage players for Pau Gasol trade. Criminal.

I know that trade looked bad and pissed a lot of people off but I think Memphis won the trade, in terms of value received. Of course the Lakers won a title with Pau so they would do the trade again 100 times but it's not like Memphis lost a title by trading Pau.

That deal sent Pau Gasol with a 2010 2nd round pick to Memphis for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, a 1st round pick in 2008, another 1st rounder in 2010, and Marc Gasol. That's a good haul, especially for a team that was going nowhere, like Memphis at that time. They were 13-33 when the deal went through. The year prior they were 22-60 and the year of the trade, which happened in February, they finished 22-60.

Pau was good for them, having spent 6 1/2 years there and was Rookie of the Year, made the All-Rookie 1st Team, and was an All-Star once. He also helped them make their first playoff appearance, although they never won a playoff game in any of the years they made the playoffs with Pau. They were swept 3 times for a 0-12 record. That's not all on him, of course, but they weren't going anywhere when the deal was made and Pau was already making max money.

Marc came over and spent 10 1/2 years as a Grizzly. He was a 3 time All-Star, Defensive Player of the Year in 2012-13, made the All-NBA 2nd Team in 2012-13, made the All-NBA 1st Team in 2014-15, and All-Defense 2nd Team in 2012-13. They also won their 1st series then as well, beating the Spurs 4-2 before losing to Thunder in 7 games. I know he had longer but he accomplished more as a Grizzly than Pau did.

What really gives the Grizzlies side the edge is they got value for Marc last year at the deadline, trading him for Jonas Valanciunas, C.J. Miles, Delon Wright, and a 2024 2nd round pick. So they're still benefitting from that trade now in 2019. The Grizzlies resigned Valanciunas and traded Miles and Wright. Miles was dealt for Dwight Howard, who was bought out, and they traded Delon Wright in a sign and trade for a 2021 2nd round pick and a 2023 2nd round pick from Dallas. Valanciunas resigned in the offseason for 3 years/$45 million in a front loaded deal, paying him $16 this year, $15 next year, and $14 million in it's final year. Valanciunas is also much younger than Marc, he's 27 and won't be 28 until May, so they have him locked down until he's 30. That contract isn't bad either, they should be able to move it if they choose.

If Memphis decides to move Valanciunas then the Suns should inquire simply because the last 2 bigs they dealt won titles with their new teams. Pau and the Lakers lost in the finals in his first half season in LA but won the title in his first full year. Marc got his in Toronto last year, which was just half a season there.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I wonder if we could trade for Markkanen and help them tank. :cool:
If we don't continue with our good start and fall under .500 again I would expect they make a multi player deal before the deadline and bring someone like him in here.

And they could make more then one deal.