Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX) (2019)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rogue one made over a bill worldwide. 500+ was considered a solid W for domestic.

Solo is what made Disney really pump the breaks on the whole make Star Wars movies until you can't stop crapping, then sew your butthole shut hut and keep feeding you and feeding you and feeding you" strategy they had when they bought Lucasfilm.

I likened it to the game company EA. EA is notorious for buying a bunch of development houses then turning every franchise into a Churn and Burn franchise.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. They are trying to kill Rian Johnson's trilogy. I think they are trying to get him to walk versus firing him. Rian's recent comments indicate he has no word from the studio. Per Bob Iger....

"In the Star Wars case, Star Wars 9, which comes out this December will be the last of the Skywalker Saga and we’ll go into a hiatus for a few years before the next Star Wars feature."

Works for me. Take a break. Get the scripts, cast and director right. In the meantime, we have some Star Wars live action shows.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. They are trying to kill Rian Johnson's trilogy. I think they are trying to get him to walk versus firing him. Rian's recent comments indicate he has no word from the studio. Per Bob Iger....

"In the Star Wars case, Star Wars 9, which comes out this December will be the last of the Skywalker Saga and we’ll go into a hiatus for a few years before the next Star Wars feature."

Works for me. Take a break. Get the scripts, cast and director right. In the meantime, we have some Star Wars live action shows.

told ya.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Going to Disney World in a couple of weeks. My wife's family is located in Orlando so we usually go at least once or twice a year and always hit Disney.

I've been to Disneyland over 100 times and Disney World over 100 times and Disneyland Paris twice.

Disney World is the Best IMO. If you know what you at doing you can avoid the crowds better at Disney World. I've done all 4 parks in a day while hitting all of the major rides in each park. Although that was 15 years ago and they have added a ton more rides since then. Typically we do 2 parks a day at Disney World.

I'm curious to see how different Star Wars feels at Disney World compared to the one at Disneyland. For some reason the rides at Disneyland tend to be better than the ones recreated at Disney World.
As a WDW passholder and probable DVC owner soon, I would agree that WDW is by far the best.

the wife has finally authorized my dream scenario..... We are going to visit every park worldwide in the next few years.

boom.

As far as the movie...... Can't wait. But I'm not totally up on the deep story lines or backstories..... I just want a good movie.

And I love Adam Driver. the dude is a great actor. Just wish Rey, Fin, & Poe were as convincing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you did about the one trilogy. The RJ one I called as well. You agree though? Good to take a break?

definitely.

they're better off doing the TV stuff. The movies post Luke, Leia, Han just aren't going to be "Star Wars" or do Star Wars business just because of the title. I think they kinda cheapened the brand and oversaturated the market which is what people were afraid of when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Call me crazy, but something tells me even if they were to answer every lingering question, 'Ruin Johnson' isn't going to be satisfied. With any luck though, he'll make it back to the Internet after watching and let us all know.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To say the anticipation of this film is growing is an understatement.

more like a mistatement. it's tracking for an opening lower than either Force Awakens or Last Jedi, by a considerable amount. 175-200 million domestic, which would be anywhere from 50-75 million less than TFA or 20-50 million less than Last Jedi.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...e-skywalker-tracking-175m-200m-us-bow-1258240

I suspect this movie will get the "last movie" bounce. This sounds like it's killing pre-sale records.

https://people.com/movies/rise-of-s...gMs80Ept6q9s9ncpSbihNjAcynH9uY-ax9EA2iKWJ6WEE

that article is from October.

I think there's a chance it gets a last movie bounce over Last Jedi, but on the other hand, Last Jedi ended up being very divisive amongst Star Wars geeks and I think the other movies had the main draw of being a Han Solo Return, then a Luke return and this was supposed to the movie that really focussed on Leia, but a) as great as Leia was, she just wasn't as huge in pop culture as Luke and Han and b) she unfortunately died before filming and it's widely known that while she'll be in the movie, her scenes will be cobbled together from outtakes and cut scenes from the other movies and she won't be that big of a part in it... which is pretty apparent as the marketing pretty much has absolutely nothing of Leia. I'm not sure people are going to be rushing to the cinema en masse to see the "saga end" with a bunch of characters that they aren't completely in love with.

but we'll see.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
more like a mistatement. it's tracking for an opening lower than either Force Awakens or Last Jedi, by a considerable amount. 175-200 million domestic, which would be anywhere from 50-75 million less than TFA or 20-50 million less than Last Jedi.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...e-skywalker-tracking-175m-200m-us-bow-1258240

that article is from October.

I think there's a chance it gets a last movie bounce over Last Jedi, but on the other hand, Last Jedi ended up being very divisive amongst Star Wars geeks and I think the other movies had the main draw of being a Han Solo Return, then a Luke return and this was supposed to the movie that really focussed on Leia, but a) as great as Leia was, she just wasn't as huge in pop culture as Luke and Han and b) she unfortunately died before filming and it's widely known that while she'll be in the movie, her scenes will be cobbled together from outtakes and cut scenes from the other movies and she won't be that big of a part in it... which is pretty apparent as the marketing pretty much has absolutely nothing of Leia. I'm not sure people are going to be rushing to the cinema en masse to see the "saga end" with a bunch of characters that they aren't completely in love with.

but we'll see.

Yep, that article is more up to date. TFA did $247 opening and TLJ did $220. They are saying $205 million and the presale records broken were the early ones (first hour, first day, fastest to XXXX, several of them). I think it comes in higher than estimates because of the last movie bounce. Possibly higher than TLJ mainly because of the closes of the Skywalker story line and because of Carrie Fisher. I think fans are dying to see the last footage she filmed (approx 8 minutes of screen time). Plus there is the Holiday's where many people will be off as well.

Naturally probably much depends on the early reviews. This is anecdotal but my wife's parents had us buy tickets for them because they wanted to see Carrie and the last story on the big screen. They have not seen a Star Wars movie in the theater since ROTJ. My brother who is not a sci-fi fan is taking his son and fiance to see it sometime opening week.

Either way, I guess I don't care how many records it breaks. I just want a solid movie and end to the Skywalker story line. If they can do that and sprinkle in some nostalgia I will be happy. Little worried about the hype and honestly they appear to be entering that part of the marketing where they are showing too damn much. That always pisses me off.

In terms of Leia it seems some of the media articles are embellishing a bit about no CGI CF which might be true but splitting hairs a bit. I read an article that says yes it's about 8 minutes of unused footage, plus a body double, plus some re-used scenes from the other films with a bunch of digital manipulation and an impersonator to do some ADR for new dialogue to round out the performance. It's still probably not much in terms of her being in it but if done well that is OK. That's probably better than the Toy Story Leia from Rogue One.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that article is more up to date. TFA did $247 opening and TLJ did $220. They are saying $205 million and the presale records broken were the early ones (first hour, first day, fastest to XXXX, several of them). I think it comes in higher than estimates because of the last movie bounce. Possibly higher than TLJ mainly because of the closes of the Skywalker story line and because of Carrie Fisher. I think fans are dying to see the last footage she filmed (approx 8 minutes of screen time).

Maybe. But she died right before The Last Jedi and you would have thought that while it was fresh, the bump would have been there as well, but it really wasn't. Feels more like an after thought at this point to me 2 full years later, especially when she's not really been in the marketing at all.

Plus there is the Holiday's where many people will be off as well.

True, but that's no different that the other movies. Don't get me wrong. It'll still be pretty huge, I just don't know if it gets a last episode bump without Luke/Han/scraps of Leia, especially coming off a divisive 2nd entry.

Naturally probably much depends on the early reviews.

this is definitely a factor. if the reviews are out of this world, like they were for TFA, it'll definitely help.

This is anecdotal but my wife's parents had us buy tickets for them because they wanted to see Carrie and the last story on the big screen. They have not seen a Star Wars movie in the theater since ROTJ. My brother who is not a sci-fi fan is taking his son and fiance to see it sometime opening week.

anectodal on the opposite side: Ever since TFA, my family has gone with a big group to see the new Star Wars winter movie, starting with my brother renting out an entire theater for 250 friends and family for TFA. Then, about 20 of us all got tix for opening weekend IMAX for Rogue One and Last Jedi... and literally no one has even talked about getting together for this one after solidifying all those previous movies' plans back in early November each time.

Either way, I guess I don't care how many records it breaks. I just want a solid movie and end to the Skywalker story line. If they can do that and sprinkle in some nostalgia I will be happy. Little worried about the hype and honestly they appear to be entering that part of the marketing where they are showing too damn much. That always pisses me off.

yeah, I'm staying away from previews at this point. and I'm sure I'll be there opening weekend with some friends and family. just doesn't feel like the must-see-movie-event that the previous three years have been.

In terms of Leia it seems some of the media articles are embellishing a bit about no CGI CF which might be true but splitting hairs a bit. I read an article that says yes it's about 8 minutes of unused footage, plus a body double, plus some re-used scenes from the other films with a bunch of digital manipulation and an impersonator to do some ADR for new dialogue to round out the performance. It's still probably not much in terms of her being in it but if done well that is OK. That's probably better than the Toy Story Leia from Rogue One.

lol... yeah, Toy Story Leia was pretty odd. There's no way they could have gotten away with that for more than the 3 seconds they did in Rogue One.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
anectodal on the opposite side: Ever since TFA, my family has gone with a big group to see the new Star Wars winter movie, starting with my brother renting out an entire theater for 250 friends and family for TFA. Then, about 20 of us all got tix for opening weekend IMAX for Rogue One and Last Jedi... and literally no one has even talked about getting together for this one after solidifying all those previous movies' plans back in early November each time.

yeah, I'm staying away from previews at this point. and I'm sure I'll be there opening weekend with some friends and family. just doesn't feel like the must-see-movie-event that the previous three years have been.

How funny. Never knew anybody to rent out a theater until this one. Some buddies of mine (brothers) are renting it out for their family Christmas party and a bunch of us were invited. I will be in Cali at the time so I had to pass. Another group of friends from work are going to see it. From what I understand it's about 20 people. Most of my friends are Star Wars fans, most didn't like TLJ and most still feel seeing this is a must. All anecdotal like we both said. I would love nothing more than for this movie to hit it out of the park and go see it again in 3D. I usually will only go see a movie after I take the family if I liked it and usually the second time in 3D or it's not worth paying the money to see it again. I would do 3D every single time but the wife is not a fan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney really screwed the pooch by not outlining this trilogy and having a plan going in. At least Lucas could do that. It feels so disjointed and out of place having a director for VII, then a new director with his own vision for VIII (with apparently no discussion of plot points, etc.), and then back to the director of VII to wrap up the entire saga with IX. So ridiculous when there is so much relying on getting this right.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, very much the opposite.

None of my buddies who love Star Wars are upset about bringing back Palpatine. Also, the Deathstar is lying in ruins. Most again loved the visual. Naturally, the execution is going to be everything in terms of the choices they made. We shall see.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
None of my buddies who love Star Wars are upset about bringing back Palpatine. Also, the Deathstar is lying in ruins. Most again loved the visual. Naturally, the execution is going to be everything in terms of the choices they made. We shall see.

Well, given that my closest Star Wars loving buddies aren't watching it, this was too late even to be the straw that broke the camel's back. The series is just a cluster-eff at this point, and this eye-rollingly bad decision is a cake topper for me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, given that my closest Star Wars loving buddies aren't watching it, this was too late even to be the straw that broke the camel's back. The series is just a cluster-eff at this point, and this eye-rollingly bad decision is a cake topper for me.

Not one...not one of my Star Wars loving friends is skipping this. Even though most of them didn't like the last one. Having said that, this simply isn't a straw with anybody I know. If you look at fan reaction at the live event to fan reactions on fan channels on google about the Emperor it’s been pretty supported. Not to say there are no detractors. There always are. Even the another death star thing was my singular complaint about the TFA simply doesn't apply here. It's a piece sitting on a planet. I have no qualms with that.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not one...not one of my Star Wars loving friends is skipping this. Even though most of them didn't like the last one. Having said that, this simply isn't a straw with anybody I know. If you look at fan reaction at the live event to fan reactions on fan channels on google about the Emperor it’s been pretty supported. Not to say there are no detractors. There always are. Even the another death star thing was my singular complaint about the TFA simply doesn't apply here. It's a piece sitting on a planet. I have no qualms with that.

Sorry, not sorry for thinking it's awful and not wanting to see it.