OT- Around the NFL 2019-20

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I was cautiously optimistic on Metcalf

I didn't think the David Boston comparisons were fair because Boston was such a unique personality I don't think you can put that on everyone who is built

I did have some concerns about college production, injuries, etc.

I liked the risk/reward though, especially with how Wilson can throw deep.

I have no idea how his career will turn out and he's still very much a rookie out there.

With that said, I really like this kid. Odd mix of quiet, humble and flamboyant with a little bit of a competitive chip on his shoulder.

By all accounts he works really hard and is a smart player.

It shows. I can't recall a guy getting so excited to do his job when the ball isn't going to him.

There was a long TD to Lockett, DK hit his route, created separation and drew in the safety - this left Lockett 1v1 on a deep route - as soon as the safety closed DK was pointing down field because he knew the concept and what was about to happen

Guy is genuinely elated when plays work and just has fun out there.

Still rookie moments. The fumble against Baltimore was bad. The quick back shoulder throw just isn't there yet, alright they've tried it a lot. He's still learning body control and the ball can eat him up a little if it gets past hands and into his body

A lot of work to do, but showing some versatility as well. A nice short route option when there are 3-6 yards to the first down as he's a load to bring down and attacks the sticks.

Not a lot of showboating, etc. Just plays ball. In an early game he caught a deep pass right before half. Instead of signaling first down or anything he sprinted to the ref and handed him the ball to get reset.

A couple guys tried to bait him early, but he's learned pretty quick.

If he doesn't make it, which is possible, it will not be because of his attitude, effort or game smarts

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was cautiously optimistic on Metcalf

I didn't think the David Boston comparisons were fair because Boston was such a unique personality I don't think you can put that on everyone who is built

I did have some concerns about college production, injuries, etc.

I liked the risk/reward though, especially with how Wilson can throw deep.

I have no idea how his career will turn out and he's still very much a rookie out there.

With that said, I really like this kid. Odd mix of quiet, humble and flamboyant with a little bit of a competitive chip on his shoulder.

By all accounts he works really hard and is a smart player.

It shows. I can't recall a guy getting so excited to do his job when the ball isn't going to him.

There was a long TD to Lockett, DK hit his route, created separation and drew in the safety - this left Lockett 1v1 on a deep route - as soon as the safety closed DK was pointing down field because he knew the concept and what was about to happen

Guy is genuinely elated when plays work and just has fun out there.

Still rookie moments. The fumble against Baltimore was bad. The quick back shoulder throw just isn't there yet, alright they've tried it a lot. He's still learning body control and the ball can eat him up a little if it gets past hands and into his body

A lot of work to do, but showing some versatility as well. A nice short route option when there are 3-6 yards to the first down as he's a load to bring down and attacks the sticks.

Not a lot of showboating, etc. Just plays ball. In an early game he caught a deep pass right before half. Instead of signaling first down or anything he sprinted to the ref and handed him the ball to get reset.

A couple guys tried to bait him early, but he's learned pretty quick.

If he doesn't make it, which is possible, it will not be because of his attitude, effort or game smarts

Still a huge injury concern. Guys his size don't usually last in the NFL.

Russell Wilson has become such a great player. He makes average guys become good players. Good players become great players.

He's still a douche. God was on the Seahawks side! Loved Aaron Rodgers response.

Peter Carroll is still the biggest ass hat in coaching.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The 12th man? They call it that because before the current run, there were only 12 of them.

When I moved to Washington, it was during the Seneca Wallace era. NO ONE was a Seahawks fan. NO ONE.

Reaction score
I still live in Washington and had a Dad who wanted Seneca Wallace to start over hasslebeck many many times. I can confrim that a lot of people became hawks fans when they won the superbowl and changed their unis.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
There was no Seneca Wallace era.

His rookie season the Seahawks went to the SB - no shortage of support there

They went to the playoffs his first 3 seasons with the team.

Unfortunately, because of injury he had to play in his last 2 - 8 starts in holmgrens last year and 2 in the mora disaster.

Those 2 years were rough, but still plenty of fans around

The year after he left it was PCs first year and there were enough fans at that wildcard game to register seismic activity on Marshawns TD

Trust me, I get and respect irrational sports hate - I grew up around Bills fans

There were some lean Seahawk years, but the past 15 have been really good

As for initial with big receivers - never know.

TO played in 14+ games in 14 of his seasons

Calvin Johnson didn't miss many games

Julio Jones lost one year.

There just aren't that many reference points and every individual is different and you never know what the game brings

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I still live in Washington and had a Dad who wanted Seneca Wallace to start over hasslebeck many many times. I can confrim that a lot of people became hawks fans when they won the superbowl and changed their unis.

I would be willing to bet that isn't remotely true, as he would be there only one I know.

The Seahawks were in the SB in Hasselbecks first year - he was extremely popular

There was some MH/Dilfer debate, but that was well before Seneca joined the team

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that isn't remotely true, as he would be there only one I know.

The Seahawks were in the SB in Hasselbecks first year - he was extremely popular

There was some MH/Dilfer debate, but that was well before Seneca joined the team

I lived in Washington. You didn't see a single Seahawks sticker, jersey, nothing.

Then once the Russell Wilson era started, everyone was a Seahawks fan.....once they were clearly good.

Reaction score

my dad wanting seneca to start isn't true?? I witnessed many rough years of the Seahawks. The 2006 superbowl did nothing for the base. It was when they won a superbowl that all the stickers and flags were applied. There were quite a few fans that wanted to move on from Matt . He was not a good QB, average at best. He also did not get them to the superbowl his first year. He got to Seattle in 2001, and if anything their O line and Shaun Alexander got them there.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Krang - it's your lie, you can tell it anyway you want to

Seattle retired the #12 for the fans back in 1984. There kingdome was so loud that the NFL made social rules and Seattle would have penalties for being so loud.

Then Ken Behring bought the team, a bunch of Californians moved to Seattle, the tech boom changed the economy and then the tech bubble crashed and the team lost a couple decades....... But the last 15 have been fantastic

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
my dad wanting seneca to start isn't true?? I witnessed many rough years of the Seahawks. The 2006 superbowl did nothing for the base. It was when they won a superbowl that all the stickers and flags were applied. There were quite a few fans that wanted to move on from Matt . He was not a good QB, average at best. He also did not get them to the superbowl his first year. He got to Seattle in 2001, and if anything their O line and Shaun Alexander got them there.

I doubt it, because I doubt your dad is an idiot and I didn't know of a single Seahawks fan who wanted that change - could be passing frustration with Matt, but no one seriously wanted Seneca as a starter

I misspoke though, Seattle didn't go to the SB in Wallace's first year, it was his 2nd - he wasn't even on the active roster as a rookie - no one is looking to add an undersized, 4th Rd QB to replace the guy who keeps getting you into the playoffs

In the SB year Hass had a rating of 98.2 which was 4th in the league. He was also 4th in TDs and 10th in yards that year.

No one was saying Seneca should start that next season.

Matt did get hurt that next year and Seneca played 4 games, passing for 116 ypg and a 76 rating. Hass was average when he got back, but no one was clamoring for Seneca to be in there.

In 2007 Matt had a 91.4 rating (8th), was 8th in passing yards, 6th in TDs and the team went 10-6

That is the first 4 years of Seneca's career. No one was seriously calling for him to start.

In 2008 Matt was injured again and some fans wanted to find a QBOF - but it wasn't Seneca who went 3-5 in 8 starts throwing for 153 ypg. Charlie Frye even got some action that year

In 2009 Seneca started 2 games with Matt hurt, going 0-2 with 54 ypg. Hass was 34 years old and playing average ball and Seattle needed a QBOF, but no one wanted it to be Seneca

In 2010 Seneca was gone, Matt had an average year and he was gone the next.

He was really popular though.

Seneca went to Cleveland and had 7 starts in 2 seasons and another year with 1 start in GB

He was a likeable player, but never thought of more than a backup.

His most memorable Seahawks moments were as WR.

I'm sure there could have been more moments when fans got frustrated with Matt and said something like "get Seneca in there" ...... But that is passing emotion

No one wanted him as a starter

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Krang - it's your lie, you can tell it anyway you want to

Seattle retired the #12 for the fans back in 1984. There kingdome was so loud that the NFL made social rules and Seattle would have penalties for being so loud.

Then Ken Behring bought the team, a bunch of Californians moved to Seattle, the tech boom changed the economy and then the tech bubble crashed and the team lost a couple decades....... But the last 15 have been fantastic

My lie? I saw it with my own two eyes.

It's a myth that Seattle has a great fan base....they have great front runner fans. Did you live in the Sea-Tac area? I did for seven years, and the years they weren't good, I didn't see nary a sign of a fan base.

Texas A&M has used the 12th man since like the 20s and has it copyrighted since it is considered their tradition.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
They put a mark on it after other teams were using it as a cash grab in 1990

Their initial target was Buffalo, that had a bunch of 12th man branding at the time.

Also, it's not an original concept - Iowa was noting it before A&M, many soccer clubs have referenced it throughout time, etc

The licensing agreement is peanuts and for a lot of stuff Seattle uses 12 or twelves as it is outside the trademark, and is true to the original intent in 84

I know you have ground breaking news that success brings out bandwagon fans - I have to tell you this isn't unique either

At the end of the Behring years and early Paul Allen years the fan base wasn't great.

It was fantastic in the Nordstrom years and is great now.

The dynamics of the league have changed, the economics of attending a game have changed, how we consume entertainment has changed

Again, I get and respect the irrational sports hatred...... Doesn't make it true though

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson