Report: NFL, Chargers interested in team possibly moving to London

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the UK market is 44x that of San Diego... no way they are going back to San Diego.... very curious what Second Banana Market in LA would look like...

anyways, the UK team would dwarf any other singular American market...

the league could get very creative with this.... could share TV revenues from UK and distribute them across the league making it VERY appetizing for owners.... would not be shocked if it happened and would be all for it.

Keep it NFL, not the IFL.... NHL and NBA don’t have an issue with it

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Logistics of moving your family - please, ya'll sound like people who have never even visited Euorpe

People can EASILY ship their items there via cargo

Go spend a week in London and you'll want to live there...it's an AMAZING place

Schools for your kids are 1000 times better

You'd be a millionaire in London - get real - it doesn't get any better

3 state side trips for 2-3 weeks would cover all the away games
i.e. (1st three weeks away in the states - covers up to the first bye week) 3 home games where the away teams traveling to London go on bye then 2 weeks away followed by 2 home games and repeat 2 or 3 weeks home/away till the season is over - NO BIG DEAL

It's amazing the resistance to change people have - it permeates their lives

Also for the NFL it would be huge - for if you've ever gone to Europe they know of the NFL...but it's not respected. Their fan base is 1000 times stronger than any fan base in the states

The NFL is about making $$$ and opening the Europe market with a team would be HUGE $$$ which could double their revenue

Players would be more than happy to go to London - that would NOT be an issue - it's just an issue in your head because you've never been over seas.

Charger tickets for their new stadium are 4 times the cost of the Cardinals...there is NO way they come close to selling out...whereas in London they'll sell 90,000 season tickets in under 1 hour...yes they'll sell out that fast.

LA doesn't need 2 NFL teams - they'll be lucky to support one for the next 10 years...The Rams tried years ago and left, the Raiders tried twice and left twice....there's a reason and its because LA is NOT an NFL town - and as a person who lives near LA I'd rather run across the freeway than have to try to drive downtown for a game in LA through traffic - there is NO parking downtown - NONE - and the parking you'll find is 2 miles away for $45.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense

Again - everyone opposing it have never been to London once in their lives and/or just can't deal with change

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
the UK market is 44x that of San Diego... no way they are going back to San Diego.... very curious what Second Banana Market in LA would look like...

anyways, the UK team would dwarf any other singular American market...

the league could get very creative with this.... could share TV revenues from UK and distribute them across the league making it VERY appetizing for owners.... would not be shocked if it happened and would be all for it.

Keep it NFL, not the IFL.... NHL and NBA don’t have an issue with it

I believe they already have a deal with sky sports. I don’t know the revenue that pulls though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I believe they already have a deal with sky sports. I don’t know the revenue that pulls though.

And imagine how that sky sports viewership would skyrocket if the Brits had their own team.

I’d personally love a Redcoats vs Patriots super bowl

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I wonder how the income tax would work......

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Canada is not a good destination for an NFL team to be re-located?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe the Chargers aren't going anywhere? They just posted this on twitter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder how the income tax would work......

It comes down to your declared place of residence as there is a tax treaty between the US and GB.

A bit of creative accounting and the player would be in the range paid by players in NY state or California.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Canada is not a good destination for an NFL team to be re-located?

Metro population-wise, Toronto is third behind NY City and LA and as a national team, they like the Raptors and Blue Jays would access 38M citizens. The local billionaire club has shown interest from time-to-time. They'd need a new stadium as the home of the Blue Jays is a touch small.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not gonna happen. The time, the travel, the income tax, residency and visas. How would the team be able to sign free agents?

The chargers messed up moving to LA. LA didn’t really need or want the team.

Your first 5 points are really non-issues and you attract free agents with $$$.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Since I go from time to time...... getting to Europe from the eastern time zone is a piece of cake. I actually prefer it to LA or Phoenix.

My trip to London from Dulles was an absolute breeze in August. Spain looks to be just as easy next Spring.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I went to their home opener last year, doing the stupid flag detail.

That stadium was clearly a Chiefs home game. It was bad. Probably as bad as the lowest I've seen from the Cardinals in the Sun Devil days, if not quite a bit worse. The stadium wasn't even close to full either. Bad.

I visually observed firsthand how bad their situation is. IMO worse than the Cardinals situation was in Sun Devil.

The Rams have a weak following in LA. Still A LOT more Raider fans. I don't winning will cure that either.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

I would assume the CFL wouldn’t like it and those teams are locked in contracts with those cities and stadiums.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Logistics of moving your family - please, ya'll sound like people who have never even visited Euorpe

People can EASILY ship their items there via cargo

Go spend a week in London and you'll want to live there...it's an AMAZING place

Schools for your kids are 1000 times better

You'd be a millionaire in London - get real - it doesn't get any better

3 state side trips for 2-3 weeks would cover all the away games
i.e. (1st three weeks away in the states - covers up to the first bye week) 3 home games where the away teams traveling to London go on bye then 2 weeks away followed by 2 home games and repeat 2 or 3 weeks home/away till the season is over - NO BIG DEAL

It's amazing the resistance to change people have - it permeates their lives

Also for the NFL it would be huge - for if you've ever gone to Europe they know of the NFL...but it's not respected. Their fan base is 1000 times stronger than any fan base in the states

The NFL is about making $$$ and opening the Europe market with a team would be HUGE $$$ which could double their revenue

Players would be more than happy to go to London - that would NOT be an issue - it's just an issue in your head because you've never been over seas.

Charger tickets for their new stadium are 4 times the cost of the Cardinals...there is NO way they come close to selling out...whereas in London they'll sell 90,000 season tickets in under 1 hour...yes they'll sell out that fast.

LA doesn't need 2 NFL teams - they'll be lucky to support one for the next 10 years...The Rams tried years ago and left, the Raiders tried twice and left twice....there's a reason and its because LA is NOT an NFL town - and as a person who lives near LA I'd rather run across the freeway than have to try to drive downtown for a game in LA through traffic - there is NO parking downtown - NONE - and the parking you'll find is 2 miles away for $45.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense

Again - everyone opposing it have never been to London once in their lives and/or just can't deal with change

Man, what a ridiculous hot take. I've been to London plenty of times, have family from there, my grandmother is British, and my mom was practically raised there, but some people don't want to take their entire nuclear family and move it a continent away from everything they've ever known. It's a wild culture shock, and suddenly taking your wife/kids away from friends and nearby family without a single person they know is a big deal for people. Moving across the country is hard enough.

There's a lot of perks to London, and it's a beautiful city, but the pain of traveling that far is nothing to shake a stick at. My good friend moved over there about 5 years ago, and I've maybe seen her 7 times since. Which is probably an exaggeration on the high end. It's a life changer.

The first thing that popped into my mind is felony laws. Can't go there if you've had a DUI or drug conviction. Imagine our team having to find a new GM to go up there!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would assume the CFL wouldn’t like it and those teams are locked in contracts with those cities and stadiums.

The Argos play in a small outdoor park used by the soccer team. The CFL would have no say on whether the NFL showed up in TO.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, what a ridiculous hot take. I've been to London plenty of times, have family from there, my grandmother is British, and my mom was practically raised there, but some people don't want to take their entire nuclear family and move it a continent away from everything they've ever known. It's a wild culture shock, and suddenly taking your wife/kids away from friends and nearby family without a single person they know is a big deal for people. Moving across the country is hard enough.

There's a lot of perks to London, and it's a beautiful city, but the pain of traveling that far is nothing to shake a stick at. My good friend moved over there about 5 years ago, and I've maybe seen her 7 times since. Which is probably an exaggeration on the high end. It's a life changer.

The first thing that popped into my mind is felony laws. Can't go there if you've had a DUI or drug conviction. Imagine our team having to find a new GM to go up there!

There are plenty of guys with convictions playing in the CFL and this is simply a temporary work visa situation, not a permanent residence.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There are plenty of guys with convictions playing in the CFL and this is simply a temporary work visa situation, not a permanent residence.
It was my understanding that the DUI conviction or otherwise prevents you from traveling.

However I did just look it up, and it looks like there's a "approval for rehabilitation" form you can fill out, although I don't know how it works.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the DUI conviction or otherwise prevents you from traveling.

However I did just look it up, and it looks like there's a "approval for rehabilitation" form you can fill out, although I don't know how it works.

I am fairly certain it is a grease the wheels law - pay a Canadian immigration lawyer to file something and get permission. Its crazy how strict they are about DUIs because Canadians are DRINKERS.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eight hour travel time to the East coast and add an extra 6 hours to the West coast so a team would be traveling 14 hours just to get to a game on the West coast.
I agree with your point, but air travel doesn't work that way... great circle routes mean flying direct from London to Seattle takes under 10 hours, and London to L.A. is about 10 1/2 hours.

...dave

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Chargers are locked into a 15-year lease on the Rams' stadium, which means the NFL would have to step in to get them out of it.
From what I've read, the Rams would be only too happy to let them out of it, as the Chargers would be getting comparable benefits to the Rams, at a tiny fraction of the cost. Rams got railroaded into offering the sweetheart deal by the NFL.

...dave

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From what I've read, the Rams would be only too happy to let them out of it, as the Chargers would be getting comparable benefits to the Rams, at a tiny fraction of the cost. Rams got railroaded into offering the sweetheart deal by the NFL.

...dave

Almost like the deal is a placeholder until the NFL can figure out where to put the Chargers....

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chargers messed up moving to LA. LA didn’t really need or want the team.
Bigly. Plus, the way the Chargers moved and changed their name overnight was a big F.U. to their fan base in San Diego. They do have a lot of fans in SoCal and had they just issued a statement to the effect that they were really sorry they couldn't get a stadium worked out in San Diego, they were moving to the next closest viable market, they still embrace their San Diego fans, and they were changing their name to the "SoCal Chargers" or something like that, i think they would've retained a big portion of their nearby fans, rather than alienating them.

In a perfect world, i think if the NFL forced the Spanos family to sell the team, they could get a stadium built in downtown San Diego. Funny, the Aztecs just got a new stadium approved at the Qualcomm site. Perhaps the NFL could even pay the incremental cost to enlarge it into a proper new NFL stadium there? San Diego just (understandably) didn't want to do anything for the Spanos family.

...dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA