Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX) (2019)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that trailer was wholly underwhelming.

sorry, but they have not done the leg work on Rey, Fin and Poe as a trio who really love each other to get me excited about seeing them together in the cockpit of the Falcon.

not to mention, the First Order keeps losing at the end of every movie to ever make them an actual formidable opponent.

hell... I still don't even understand who, why, how or what the First Order even wants. They're literally just... bad guys.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Loved the trailer. I can't wait for this to drop. I will be in Cali on vacation when it does. Not sure how but I have to figure it out. If not, I might have to wait until Christmas day. BOOO!

Now that we know the Emperor is still alive things make a bit more sense. It appears once again the Emperor is pulling strings to create conflict which is an echo to the Original & Prequel trilogies. Not sure if the First Order is part of it or simply a puppet much like the Trade federation was. Either way he was pulling the strings all along.

It's obvious they purposely made this trailer to show off some epic shots without revealing too much. It felt guarded but in a good way.

We do know that the Death Star in the movie is the second one since it had the Throne Room in it. A couple visuals were phenomenal. In the background of all the ships they put the GHOST in there again from Star Wars Rebels which was also an Egg in Rogue One. I read to expect multiple tie ins to all things Star Wars. Also, The Emperors thrown we see was the original Ralph McQuarrie design that was never used.

P.S. Happy Birthday Carrie Fisher.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

sorry, but they have not done the leg work on Rey, Fin and Poe as a trio who really love each other to get me excited about seeing them together in the cockpit of the Falcon.

not to mention, the First Order keeps losing at the end of every movie to ever make them an actual formidable opponent.

hell... I still don't even understand who, why, how or what the First Order even wants. They're literally just... bad guys.

+1

Never had a desire to see this one, and still don't.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harkins is having a marathon in which they'll be showing all 9 Star Wars films.

"In chronological order."

Count me out.

:jedi:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harkins is having a marathon in which they'll be showing all 9 Star Wars films.

"In chronological order."

Count me out.

:jedi:

Nine is way too many. I went to a marathon with the OT plus TPH when it came out. Long day. Wouldn't do it again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Disney prob isn't overjoyed at the early tracking for the "finale" of the saga.

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019...Z0wP822YmbnGCQdZiba_FL0vTWtGg9ISTvslRPpOX67q0

It'll open big, but this ain't gonna come close to breaking any records and I think it goes back to why I was underwhelmed by the marketing for this movie. bottom line is... I just don't care all that much about the main characters of this trilogy and with Luke and Han dead and everyone knowing that Princess Leia's performance is going to be cobbled together from outtakes and deleted scenes, the idea that Rey, Poe, Fin and Kylo are somehow the people that are going to take this saga home just isn't over the top exciting.

I mean, it would be like if Cap had died in Civil War and Iron Man died in Avengers: Infiniti War. Sure, people would still be lining up to see how they finally defeated Thanos, but without the powerhouse two-headed monster of Iron Man/Cap, it just wouldn't feel as special.

But even then, you'd still have Thanos as a big bad, set up over a decade that people would still be excited to see how they take him out. Literally resurrecting the Emperor's dead corpse out of nowhere doesn't carry that same weight. It almost just feels freaking lazy.

all that said... yes, I'll prob be there opening weekend anyway.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the latest rumored ending actually happens, it'll be the fork for this franchise.

I don't like reading rumors so I don't even know what that rumor is. Most of these leaks are garbage anyway or without context don't play how they are leaked. I am going to try and stay spoiler free.

I think if Disney does around $750 million it's what they expected to do considering the past performance of the last two films. I am sure they will take more and probably hoping for a "closing movie" bounce. I have to agree though after the first teaser trailer the marketing just isn't as good for this film. I hope that is not an indication of what IS in the movie. I loved TFA. TLJ not so much.

Hoping for JJ to repair some of RJ's crap. If he can do that, provide some nostalgia, some epic moments and weave everything together nicely it will be an accomplishment. My fear is that it's really going to be hard to pull off after TLJ.

I am hoping the franchise finishes strong because I simply love Rey, Poe, Finn and BB-8.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I don't like reading rumors so I don't even know what that rumor is. Most of these leaks are garbage anyway or without context don't play how they are leaked. I am going to try and stay spoiler free.

I think if Disney does around $750 million it's what they expected to do considering the past performance of the last two films. I am sure they will take more and probably hoping for a "closing movie" bounce. I have to agree though after the first teaser trailer the marketing just isn't as good for this film. I hope that is not an indication of what IS in the movie. I loved TFA. TLJ not so much.

Hoping for JJ to repair some of RJ's crap. If he can do that, provide some nostalgia, some epic moments and weave everything together nicely it will be an accomplishment. My fear is that it's really going to be hard to pull off after TLJ.

I am hoping the franchise finishes strong because I simply love Rey, Poe, Finn and BB-8.

If they do $750 mill it will be a MASSIVE failure.

Stout

Reaction score
No it won't. It will be the second highest domestic box office of a Star Wars film.

Failure does not equate to merely making money here on this one movie. Disney wants to milk this cow for all it's worth. If they only make that much, it doesn't at all bode well for the tens and twenties of BILLIONS of dollars they want to rake in in future movies. They're not thinking one movie--they're thinking franchise.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Failure does not equate to merely making money here on this one movie. Disney wants to milk this cow for all it's worth. If they only make that much, it doesn't at all bode well for the tens and twenties of BILLIONS of dollars they want to rake in in future movies. They're not thinking one movie--they're thinking franchise.

Every studio wants to make the most money ever on every movie they put out there. If this is the second highest grossing movie in the franchise, based on this franchises past performance, the movie itself will not be a failure. Star Wars without this film is the second highest grossing franchise of all time. How can adding another $750 be a "massive failure"?? You seem to be pinning everything on this one film. Could it do some damage to the long term prospects? OK. That's fair if it's a total flop but not if it brings in $750 million. Keep in mind they have already recouped more than they paid for Lucasfilm. The Mandalorian is set to be huge draw to bring millions of viewers to Disney+ with more movies and shows on the way. I am not counting the animated shows which are popular, sales of merchandise, books etc. Something tells me Disney is going to be just fine when it comes to making billions. LOL.

Disney deserves some criticism for churning and burning. They deserve criticism for opening Star Wars land prematurely with one functioning ride. They deserve criticism for assuming that they could just throw stories out there (like Solo) and assume that fans want to even see them mess with certain characters. It appears Disney is listening. We shall see.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Every studio wants to make the most money ever on every movie they put out there. If this is the second highest grossing movie in the franchise, based on this franchises past performance, the movie itself will not be a failure. Star Wars without this film is the second highest grossing franchise of all time. How can adding another $750 be a "massive failure"?? You seem to be pinning everything on this one film. Could it do some damage to the long term prospects? OK. That's fair if it's a total flop but not if it brings in $750 million. Keep in mind they have already recouped more than they paid for Lucasfilm. The Mandalorian is set to be huge draw to bring millions of viewers to Disney+ with more movies and shows on the way. I am not counting the animated shows which are popular, sales of merchandise, books etc. Something tells me Disney is going to be just fine when it comes to making billions. LOL.

Disney deserves some criticism for churning and burning. They deserve criticism for opening Star Wars land prematurely with one functioning ride. They deserve criticism for assuming that they could just throw stories out there (like Solo) and assume that fans want to even see them mess with certain characters. It appears Disney is listening. We shall see.

If it only (yes, only) brings in $750 million, I feel it's a flop. They could film a turn plopping in a bowl, label it Star Wars, and it would automatically earn a couple hundred mill. It's going to make a ton of bank. Problem is, a ton of bank isn't a good measure because it's Star Wars. It needs to go over a billion, IMO, or else things will probably change in the Disney Star Wars plans.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it only (yes, only) brings in $750 million, I feel it's a flop. They could film a turn plopping in a bowl, label it Star Wars, and it would automatically earn a couple hundred mill. It's going to make a ton of bank. Problem is, a ton of bank isn't a good measure because it's Star Wars. It needs to go over a billion, IMO, or else things will probably change in the Disney Star Wars plans.

You feel?!?! So you are saying every Star Wars movie was a flop? Because the only one even close to that for domestic was TFA. If you look at box office history you are saying they all flopped. Even adjusted for inflation Star Wars would have been the only one to exceed a billion dollars. I am assuming you didn't know the box office history.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on something I read what say you guys? Interesting in seeing a new trilogy that has nothing to do with the Jedi or would you prefer a trilogy around other Jedi, Mara Jade or the Old Republic? What about a Sith-centric movie?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i think you guys are talking past each other.

if it makes 750 million domestic, that's a W because worldwide usually gets that number to double for Star Wars movies which means you're probably looking at 1.5 billion worldwide if it hits 750 domestic.

if it hits 750 million total worldwide, that isn't a disaster, but it's really not very good. that said, there's no way it only hits 750 million total worldwide.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

things already have changed. the Weiss Benihoff Star Wars trilogy is no more, they shifted most of their standalone movie ideas to TV (Mandalorian and Obi Won) and Rian Johnson's comments today about "we're still talking" next trilogy seems like industry speak for "who knows what happens."

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think you guys are talking past each other.

if it makes 750 million domestic, that's a W because worldwide usually gets that number to double for Star Wars movies which means you're probably looking at 1.5 billion worldwide if it hits 750 domestic.

if it hits 750 million total worldwide, that isn't a disaster, but it's really not very good. that said, there's no way it only hits 750 million total worldwide.

I was clear that I ONLY talked about Domestic. I was basing my opinion on the link you provided which was a 750 million domestic projection. Not that I discount international box office but since the Studio gets a smaller cut I was focusing on Domestic. Maybe Stout was thinking International.

Rogue one did a half a billion here and half a billion international. So the above would be slightly better for sure.

Since you posted the above about the new trilogy Lucasfilm sounds like they are pushing ahead while looking for new directors. RJ's? Sort of sounds like Lucasfilm is shinning him on hoping he drops the project. I wouldn't be disappointed at all to see RJ's trilogy go away.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was definitely thinking international. 750 mill total box office would be disastrous.

Not sure I recall what they deemed Rogue One. I know critics and fans loved it but I don't recall if they considered half a billion a success or not from a studio perspective. If the studio was happy with it, as long as $500 million of this movie was domestic it would still probably be OK. I get where you are coming from now since you were thinking TOTAL.

Stout

Reaction score
Not sure I recall what they deemed Rogue One. I know critics and fans loved it but I don't recall if they considered half a billion a success or not from a studio perspective. If the studio was happy with it, as long as $500 million of this movie was domestic it would still probably be OK. I get where you are coming from now since you were thinking TOTAL.

I would think they want to do a lot more than Rogue One, which was just an offshoot movie. This is one of THE (eyeroll) trilogies!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

rogue one made over a bill worldwide. 500+ was considered a solid W for domestic.

Solo is what made Disney really pump the breaks on the whole make Star Wars movies until you can't stop crapping, then sew your butthole shut hut and keep feeding you and feeding you and feeding you" strategy they had when they bought Lucasfilm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose