15 thoughts - Niners game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I really can’t stand the Niners. Easily the worst team in the NFL. I mean, I don’t like the Rams and the Seahawks, but they are likeable organizations compared to the Niners. Horrible, horrible team.

2 - Kenyan Drake’s longest run this year in Miami was 11 yards. On the first run with the Cards he ran for 36 yards. And only two times in his 3.5 years with the Dolphins he ran for more than the 110 yards that he ran for in this game.

3 - By Patrick Peterson-standards, that was a bad game by Patrick Peterson. By Brandon Williams-standards, that was a bad game by Patrick Peterson.

4 - Gaining 1 yard is a skill. It is not that easy on one-to-go or goal-to-go.

5 – Snap count watch:

44.6% of the defensive snaps for Haason Reddick. 56.8% of the defensive snaps for Joe Walker. Zach Brown is needed.

60.8 defensive snaps for Jalen Thompson. Almost half (okay, not really, but many less) defensive snaps for Deionte Thompson. I think that is very interesting.

6 – I have been a little tough on Budda Baker, so it is only fair to also point out when he is playing well, and he was in this game. Much better in coverage.

7 - I am appreciating Maxx Williams more and more.

8 – I think many of us were very surprised when defensive line-coach Chris Achuff were retained from Wilks’ staff to Kingsbury’s, and I don’t think he has done much to convince us otherwise. Not that the problems is his fault alone, but the players on the unit has not gotten better.

9 - Andy Isabella. What happened?

10 – It was very obvious that there were a lot of Niners fans in attendance. I am certainly not one to judge, but I can just say that it is ugh.

11 - I feel like field possession is not valued that high among fans. Well, it should be. It determine games. Appreciate Andy Lee while you can for the big weapon he is.

12 – A couple of statistics:

This was the most scoring given up by the Niners’ defense all season. And in the last four games combined they allowed 23 points against them.

Through the first seven games, the Niners’ defense had on average allowed the opposing quarterback to have a quarterback rating of 53.7 (with a high of 91.3). Kyler Murray had a quarterback rating of 130.1.

Niners’ defense had given up 224.4 yards on average this season (with a high of 316). The Cards managed 357.

13 - I have absolutely no problem with Kingsbury taking a timeout at the end of the first half. How was he supposed to know the outcome of the play?

14 - Zane Gonzalez is the top scoring kicker in the NFL. I am wondering if that is a stat you want him to be good in? I mean, great that they have a good kicker, but what if he did not have enough field goal tries to score that many points?

15 - Every time the Cards play at home the network will show an overview of the stadium complex, and every time I get so impressed with the parking lots because of how many cars are there. Come on, people, I am from little Denmark. We don’t have that stuff here.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Always enjoy these threads, #3 was spot on. #8, I'm not sure the talent level on the Dline is good enough to make negative comments on Achuff.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Always enjoy these threads, #3 was spot on. #8, I'm not sure the talent level on the Dline is good enough to make negative comments on Achuff.

Thank you, Cardiac. I thought about your point, and in some ways I do agree with you. What made the difference to me was the fact that they have not become better. I think we can expect that a position coach maximizes and maybe even optimize the player’s talent, so the defensive coordinator can deploy them in the best possible way.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I finally got an unblacked-out rerun of Cards OT on FOXSports (must have been a horrible error by the FOX folk).

I was impressed by insights provided by B Berry, Wolf etc. - specifically that a whole host of petty miscues - from penalties to time management to sloppy out of bounds footwork to shaky play calling came back to bite us in the butt later on and probably cost us the football game.

This is what the football people mean when they refer to "learning how to win", and it's a huge challenge for the Cards to overcome if they're to become a success in this league. (Right now, you couldn't classify this years' Cardinals as a "smart football team." Change all that and be surprised).