Budda Baker

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
He has been criticized a lot recently and it was deserved. But he had a good game last night (13 tackles, including 11 solo, three passes defensed and two tackles for loss). What changed?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He has been criticized a lot recently and it was deserved. But he had a good game last night (13 tackles, including 11 solo, three passes defensed and two tackles for loss). What changed?
He must of been immune to the P2 effect

Reaction score
Actually I believe having Peterson on the field (even though he has played poorly himself) enables Bakers role to be adjusted. Baker now playing a more natural role for him, i.e. - closer to the line of scrimmage, able to be more aggressive, instead of having to worry about deep coverage.

Playing to his strengths!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I believe having Peterson on the field (even though he has played poorly himself) enables Bakers role to be adjusted. Baker now playing a more natural role for him, i.e. - closer to the line of scrimmage, able to be more aggressive, instead of having to worry about deep coverage.

Playing to his strengths!

didn't help much in ny or NO

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Still can't cover a turd. He did have a nice game against the 49'ers, batted a ball down & was all over the field making tackles. That being said, he got burned several times in coverage, was made to look stupid against Kittles on that 30 yd TD. Still don't trust him in pass coverage.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not a fan of Budda this year. No INTs, difficulties with both zone and man coverage. I think it's just an off year for him and hope he rebounds, but this play particularly was so bad. Granted, Kittle is very good, but not only did he school Baker at the LOS, he turned him into roadkill en route to a turning point TD:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reaction score
From my perspective Baker started showing up more against NO and then even better this week. NYG was Peterson's first game back, so it could be that changes weren't yet implemented. . .

:shrug:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still can't cover a turd. He did have a nice game against the 49'ers, batted a ball down & was all over the field making tackles. That being said, he got burned several times in coverage, was made to look stupid against Kittles on that 30 yd TD. Still don't trust him in pass coverage.
Yeah. That. I like his overall intensity and hustle though.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As VJ learns what each player can do well and isn't able to do the defense will improve and some players will start making more impactful plays.

I think that's what we are seeing with Baker. Plus players are feeling more comfortable in this defense.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Kittle is imo the best all-around TE in the NFL. He is on a level with Kelce and Ertz as a crafty route runner. Might actually be the phyiscally most gifted among them. Once he has you turned, his athleticism/long strides will take over and he is a load to bring down in space. Compared to Kelce and Ertz, Kittle is superior in the run game.

Budda being taken to school a couple times by Kittle is nothing to be ashamed for. I liked Budda's demeanor. If everybody on our D would play like that, we wouldn't even have this discussion.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Man he was flying around the field with reckless abandon on Thursday. Loved it.

He has 10 days to prepare for the TB passing attack. It would be great if he could string together about four or five good games in a row.

Did you know he ran a 4.45 at the combine? I wish he would use that excellent speed to fully undercut a route, and get a pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
As VJ learns what each player can do well and isn't able to do the defense will improve and some players will start making more impactful plays.

I think that's what we are seeing with Baker. Plus players are feeling more comfortable in this defense.
I agree with this. I think Vance will work to put Baker in more situations to play close to the LOS which is where he is best.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fantastic game by Budda. Showed he can be something to build around. Now show them you can do it week to week Budda!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man he was flying around the field with reckless abandon on Thursday. Loved it.

He has 10 days to prepare for the TB passing attack. It would be great if he could string together about four or five good games in a row.

Did you know he ran a 4.45 at the combine? I wish he would use that excellent speed to fully undercut a route, and get a pick.
His hustle I love, he flys around the field & makes tackles & hustle plays. He frustrates me by missing assignments & getting beat in coverage so often. He batted at least one ball down Thursday night, maybe 2? That's a start, hope he continues to improve.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

meh... he’s been overhyped around here for awhile and one game where he still got embarrassed doesn’t negate eight bad games… He’s going to have to put together quite a string in order to get out of the doghouse for me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
meh... he’s been overhyped around here for awhile and one game where he still got embarrassed doesn’t negate eight bad games… He’s going to have to put together quite a string in order to get out of the doghouse for me.

Adrian Wilson was an average players for years, until Denny Green arrived.

The Cardinals have done a crappy job of using Baker; he isn't a centerfielder, he isn't a corner. He is a chase down, box safety. That's what he does well. He has struggled in every other role.

Can a defense be good when Baker if your 3rd or 4th best player? Probably not, but this defense can be good if he is the 6th or 7th best player.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wilson was an average players for years, until Denny Green arrived.

The Cardinals have done a crappy job of using Baker; he isn't a centerfielder, he isn't a corner. He is a chase down, box safety. That's what he does well. He has struggled in every other role.

Can a defense be good when Baker if your 3rd or 4th best player? Probably not, but this defense can be good if he is the 6th or 7th best player.

Yet Adrian still had 4 Ints in his first 3 seasons being misused compared to Buddha who has none. Adrian is arguably a HOF level player and you could see he was gifted from the start. Budda isn’t gifted like that physically. AW could make up for his mental mistakes at times with his physical ability. Budda can’t. If he puts together a string of games like last week I may start to be swayed. But 8 very average to bad to 1 good showing not so much.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strengths
Tremendously explosive and passionate in his play. Former high school track sprinter with good play speed. Screams off the edge as a blitzer. Always bouncing on balls of his feet just waiting to race to the action on a dead sprint. Plays with smooth backpedal and diagonal shuffle. Has a shiftiness that allows him to mirror change of direction in space. Plus instincts from any coverage areas. Allows quarterback's eyes and pattern recognition to carry him around the field. Not easily pulled from coverage responsibilities by bait routes around him. Has the click and close ability of a cornerback in coverage. Ball skills are solid. Plays with exceptional aggression. Accelerates through receivers to jar the pass loose. Tackle finisher who races to the throw to end plays at the catch point. Scouts use terms like "winner" and "top notch person" to describe him.

Serious question to all of his supporters say he’s being Misused and only an in the box safety... Based off of his draft bio youd think he could cover And in space to boot which based on this is probably what he was drafted to do?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Strengths
Tremendously explosive and passionate in his play. Former high school track sprinter with good play speed. Screams off the edge as a blitzer. Always bouncing on balls of his feet just waiting to race to the action on a dead sprint. Plays with smooth backpedal and diagonal shuffle. Has a shiftiness that allows him to mirror change of direction in space. Plus instincts from any coverage areas. Allows quarterback's eyes and pattern recognition to carry him around the field. Not easily pulled from coverage responsibilities by bait routes around him. Has the click and close ability of a cornerback in coverage. Ball skills are solid. Plays with exceptional aggression. Accelerates through receivers to jar the pass loose. Tackle finisher who races to the throw to end plays at the catch point. Scouts use terms like "winner" and "top notch person" to describe him.

Serious question to all of his supporters say he’s being Misused and only an in the box safety... Based off of his draft bio youd think he could cover And in space to boot which based on this is probably what he was drafted to do?

He CAN cover. You just can't expect him to completely shutdown guys like Kittle.

I'm not saying that he is even close to the level that Wilson was, but Wilson wasn't good at all his first 3-4 seasons.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He CAN cover. You just can't expect him to completely shutdown guys like Kittle.

I'm not saying that he is even close to the level that Wilson was, but Wilson wasn't good at all his first 3-4 seasons.

Cover? How many freakin times was Kittle WIDE OPEN on drag routes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
LOL you're conveniently ignoring the two pbus that Baker had on Kittle.

For just me personally, it was his best game in coverage I've ever seen him play. By a mile. Three passes defensed, tripling his total for the entire year, lol...

And 13 tackles too?

Probably the best game of his career, despite getting stiff armed by kittle.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA